Turn Off Ads?
Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162

Thread: 5/12/06 - Reds vs. Phillies Game Thread

Re: 5/12/06 - Reds vs. Phillies Game Thread

I doubt it, call him up just for new blood.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    I'd call Wagner up tomorrow...he cannot be any worse than White.
    I believe hes got a nice 9.00 ERA in AAA.
    The Reds should pay Wagners coach from college to see if he can fix him.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    I believe hes got a nice 9.00 ERA in AAA.
    The Reds should pay Wagners coach from college to see if he can fix him.
    He was destroyed the day he was called up to the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    He was destroyed the day he was called up to the majors.
    He was destroyed after the Reds pitching coaches got a hold of him.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    He was destroyed after the Reds pitching coaches got a hold of him.
    He was a pitcher with very complicated mechanics which when they get out of whack make pitch command almost impossible. He had a hot season in 2003 but until he once again finds a repeatable delivery he won't have any success.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

This isn't a video game. You can't play with young kids like that. It isn't that easy.
    At this point, I find it hard to believe the team isn't better off letting David Shafer take Rick White's innings, even with the given "growing pains" you'll get with a young kid being put into the bullpen.

The bullpen has to get better for this team to stay in it, and if that's where the help is, so be it.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    At this point, I find it hard to believe the team isn't better off letting David Shafer
    or Guevara or Medlock

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    or Guevara or Medlock
    I still think it's moronic that Calvin Medlock isn't starting in AA, but that's a rant for another forum. If I'm running this team, I strongly consider Guevara and Shafer replacing White and Shackleford tomorrow.

Here's the line on Shafer this season (AA):
    (NOTE: K/9 of 12.5)
    Code:
    W	L	ERA	G	GS	CG	SHO	SV	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO
    0	0	1.98	14	0	0	0	12	13.2	10	4	3	1	5	19
    Line for Guevera (AA):
    (NOTE: K/9 of 12.8, WHIP of just over 1)
    Code:
    W	L	ERA	G	GS	CG	SHO	SV	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO
    0	1	2.66	13	0	0	0	0	20.1	14	6	6	2	7	29
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

This team really needs to consider a DL trip for Mercker if he can't pitch. He has hardly been used and it seems like he would have been used one of the last two nights

I don't think Shack is bad. He had a case of rubber arm tonight because he has pitched alot the last 5 days.

I don't think Shack is bad. He had a case of rubber arm tonight because he has pitched alot the last 5 days.
    Shack should be used strictly as a LOOGY

05/13/2006 12:28 AM ET

Notes: Dunn leaves left for a game
    Reds slugger makes first start of the season at first base
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

Manager Jerry Narron called the move a "spot start," and said left fielder Adam Dunn would play first base once in a while. (David Kohl/AP)
    Related Links

CINCINNATI -- One of the more scrutinized plans from this past offseason finally came to fruition on Friday -- at least temporarily.
    Instead of playing left field, Adam Dunn started at first base in place of Scott Hatteberg against the Phillies.

"I thought you all would like that," manager Jerry Narron joked with reporters.

When former general manager Dan O'Brien traded longtime first baseman Sean Casey to the Pirates for pitcher Dave Williams in December, the Reds planned to shift Dunn to first so slugger Wily Mo Pena could play every day in left field.

The 26-year-old Dunn played several Spring Training games at first base.

"I thought that definitely was going to happen," Dunn said.

But the whole scenario ultimately went out the window once Pena was traded to the Red Sox for starting pitcher Bronson Arroyo in March. Dunn has continued to occasionally take ground balls at first base before games.

Don't read too much into this shift. With left-handed pitcher Cole Hamels starting for Philadelphia, Narron wanted to get utilityman Ryan Freel in the lineup. Freel, who batted lead off and played left field Friday, entered the night with a .429 batting average vs. lefties. The other first-base option, right-handed-hitting Rich Aurilia, is still on the disabled list.

"It's definitely not going to be an everyday thing," Narron said. "It's basically a spot start at first for Dunner. It's something we'll do once in a while to make sure we get guys on the field and keep them sharp and get our best glove out there."

The Reds will likely face a pair of lefties in the next series at Pittsburgh, and Narron didn't rule out using Dunn at first base in one of the games.

Some players chafe over changes to their regular routine. Not Dunn, who played 33 games at first base last season in place of Casey and has appeared in a handful of times there over the years.

"I don't mind it at all," Dunn said. "It gives me something else to do. It kind of takes your mind off everything and you can concentrate on something different."

It all didn't go smoothly. Dunn committed a costly fielding error on a Jimmy Rollins grounder in the seventh inning that led to the go-ahead run scoring.

Freel hurting: Freel left Friday night's game before the top of the sixth inning, reporting a tight left groin. He will be re-evaluated Saturday. Quinton McCracken replaced Freel, who went 0-for-3.

Staying with Stormy: Closer David Weathers was unsuccessful in converting save opportunities in Wednesday's and Thursday's wins over the Nationals, and he had a close call on Sunday at Arizona. Even though Todd Coffey has been the club's best reliever to this point, Narron had no plans to make adjustments with his bullpen.

Weathers has saved nine of 12 games and has a 3.86 ERA overall. Called on to protect a tight 1-0 lead Thursday, he almost got out of a jam in the ninth inning before pinch-runner Damian Jackson scored on a sacrifice fly. Austin Kearns' throw home was perfect, but catcher David Ross dropped the ball.

"The last couple of nights, David Weathers has not done a bad job," Narron said. "Last night, we could have very easily got out of that game. If Weathers was throwing poorly, it'd be another thing, but it's not."

In a setup role, Coffey entered the night with an 0.86 ERA and had allowed only 25 percent (2-of-8) of inherited runners to score.

"One thing about Todd Coffey is he's given us a chance to get to the ninth inning quite a few times this year," Narron said. "To move him out of that seventh-, eighth-[inning] role ... he's been spectacular there."

Junior plays: One day after his 11th-inning, three-run game-winning homer that beat the Nationals, Ken Griffey Jr. was back in the Reds' lineup despite even chillier and wetter conditions than Thursday. The game-time temperature was an unseasonable 50 degrees.

Narron had no plans to sit Griffey or tell him to go easy on what could be a slippery field.

"You play hard and you play all out," Narron said. "If you try and protect yourself against injuries, that's when you usually get hurt. Just play the game right. You can't worry about it."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

"I don't mind it at all," Dunn said. "It gives me something else to do. It kind of takes your mind off everything and you can concentrate on something different."

Wow. "It gives me something else to do"

How about working on your fielding skills in left field?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?