Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Thoughts from tonights game

  1. #1
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    24,908

    Thoughts from tonights game

    Felipe Lopez
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Austin Kearns
    Really good players

    FEAR

    The 3 of them are the only ones doing anything with the bats. All 3 have been good basically the entire year (outside of FeLo's slump). Keep it up boys

    Elizardo Ramirez

    Maybe we have found something here. Yes he is 1-3, but that ain't his fault. He has an ERA around 3. If he keeps that up wins will come. At 23, maybe he is coming into his own.

    The Bullpen
    Sucks

    Adam Dunn
    Does he know that he is playing baseball? He is in a slump (a long one at that) and it doesn't seem to matter where you play him, he is going to make key errors.

    Ryan Freel
    Keep him away from the field. Whenever he plays, bad things happen. Maybe if he goes on the DL he can get some 'rest' and not be worn out.

    Saturday's lineup should be
    Felipe
    EE
    Griffey
    Kearns
    Dunn
    Hatte
    Phillips
    LaRue
    Last edited by reds44; 05-12-2006 at 10:53 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member CTA513's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,712

    Re: Thoughts from tonights game

    Dave Williams is pitching tomorrow...

  4. #3
    Kmac5 KoryMac5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waterloo, NY
    Posts
    3,679

    Re: Thoughts from tonights game

    I agree we definitely need the bullpen to be shored up. We can't keep going on with the guys we have. Mercker, Hammond, and White all have had very bad outings and Shack caught the bug tonight it's time for Wayne to evaluate the bullpen if we are to continue at the pace we are at.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    12,793

    Re: Thoughts from tonights game

    Reds pitching and defense gradually reverting to its old form. Last 7 games have allowed the following run totals: 7, 3, 8, 7, 6, 4, 8. Average is over 6 per game.

  6. #5
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,840

    Re: Thoughts from tonights game

    Tonight, I'd say the BP pitch (or lack thereof) was the Reds' worst problem.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  7. #6
    In Wayne We Trust
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    156

    Re: Thoughts from tonights game

    I agree with you Reds44. Ramirez is raw, but it appears he knows to pitch. He's gotta stay over Dave (batting practice) Williams when Milton returns. Freel needs a vacation. The bullpen needs a complete overhaul. And Dunn, does he know football doesn't start until September? He's a football player in a Reds uni. On the bright side, I think he could be a great tight end for the Bengals. Speaking of football, the Reds will need to score two touchdowns tonight to win with Williams starting.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,591

    Re: Thoughts from tonights game

    I'm hoping that bullpen help is coming when Milton returns to the rotation and a starter can be bumped to the bp. Maybe it will help turn around DWs year to only pitch one inning at a time. It has to improve his velocity.

  9. #8
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,750

    Re: Thoughts from tonights game

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Felipe Lopez
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Austin Kearns
    Really good players

    FEAR

    The 3 of them are the only ones doing anything with the bats. All 3 have been good basically the entire year (outside of FeLo's slump). Keep it up boys
    If your discounting Felo's slump, wouldn't you say that basically Dunn has been really good the entire year outside of his slump?

  10. #9
    In Wayne We Trust
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    156

    Re: Thoughts from tonights game

    I would word it differently.....Dunn has been really bad the entire year outside of 13 dingers and a few other hits.
    > :lindner:

  11. #10
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,750

    Re: Thoughts from tonights game

    Quote Originally Posted by kyle1976
    I would word it differently.....Dunn has been really bad the entire year outside of 13 dingers and a few other hits.
    What I'm really saying is that nothing should be discounted. Overall both Lopez and Dunn have been very good. In fact, Dunn has been our best hitter so far this season (albeit by a close margin over EE and Kearns).

    Dunn has been excellent this year as usual, and there is absolutely no need to be worried over his hitting.

  12. #11
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    24,908

    Re: Thoughts from tonights game

    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    What I'm really saying is that nothing should be discounted. Overall both Lopez and Dunn have been very good. In fact, Dunn has been our best hitter so far this season (albeit by a close margin over EE and Kearns).

    Dunn has been excellent this year as usual, and there is absolutely no need to be worried over his hitting.
    Dunn has been our 4th best hitter at best. Felipe, Kearns, and EE have all been better.

  13. #12
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,750

    Re: Thoughts from tonights game

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Dunn has been our 4th best hitter at best. Felipe, Kearns, and EE have all been better.
    Based on what?

    Code:
             OPS   OBP   SLG  RC27  
      Dunn: .963  .386  .577  7.96 
    Kearns: .954  .388  .566  7.49 
        EE: .943  .393  .550  7.60 
     Lopez: .808  .376  .432  6.83
    Dunn, Kearns, and EE have all been very good, and there is an argument for each of them, but IMO Dunn is gets the nod because he is the leader in RC/27.

    Lopez isn't even in the argument. He is easily last in all of the metrics above.

  14. #13
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    24,908

    Re: Thoughts from tonights game

    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Based on what?

    Code:
             OPS   OBP   SLG  RC27  
      Dunn: .963  .386  .577  7.96 
    Kearns: .954  .388  .566  7.49 
        EE: .943  .393  .550  7.60 
     Lopez: .808  .376  .432  6.83
    Dunn, Kearns, and EE have all been very good, and there is an argument for each of them, but IMO Dunn is gets the nod because he is the leader in RC/27.

    Lopez isn't even in the argument. He is easily last in all of the metrics above.
    Batting Average, OBP, RBIs.

    Maybe 4th best was exxagerated, but he certainly hasn't been the best. AK and EE have both veen better.

  15. #14
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,750

    Re: Thoughts from tonights game

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Batting Average, OBP, RBIs.

    Maybe 4th best was exxagerated, but he certainly hasn't been the best. AK and EE have both veen better.
    Batting average and RBI's aren't the best way to judge hitters. Batting average treats as if all hits are the same (ie. HR=single). That's not a very good way to judge a hitter.

    RBI's are too dependent on a number of things (ie. at-bats w/runners in on base) and don't judge how well a player gets on base.

    When it comes doen to OBP, SLG, and OPS, the numbers are very close and you could pretty much call all 3 even, but Dunn is actually slightly better overall (but based on the sample size there's not much difference). I see no reason to believe that Dunn can be considered clearly behind either EE or Kearns without a doubt.

    And just for the record, Dunn is 2nd on the team in RBI's with 26. 2 behind EE, and 1 ahead of Kearns, despite his poor BA. RBI's can't be used against Dunn here.

  16. #15
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,038

    Re: Thoughts from tonights game

    I dunno....a .386 OBP is a nice problem to have if you ask me.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25