Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts from tonights game

Re: Thoughts from tonights game

The only reason Dunns OBP even comes close to the other three is because he takes walks. I also agree that Dunn's bat hasn't made near as much noise as AK and EE. The only stats that would be usefull comparing these guys at this point, if you want to see whose doing better, is the good ole Hits stat, compared to Games.. Which they have all pretty much been in all of them. You can't go wrong with that.. I aint worried about Dunner though. He is in a hell of a slump, but we all know Dunner will pull through, just as he always does. Low BA, high OBP and SLG, thats Dunn, and thats what we expect of Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Casey_21
    The only reason Dunns OBP even comes close to the other three is because he takes walks. I also agree that Dunn's bat hasn't made near as much noise as AK and EE. The only stats that would be usefull comparing these guys at this point, if you want to see whose doing better, is the good ole Hits stat, compared to Games.. Which they have all pretty much been in all of them. You can't go wrong with that.. I aint worried about Dunner though. He is in a hell of a slump, but we all know Dunner will pull through, just as he always does. Low BA, high OBP and SLG, thats Dunn, and thats what we expect of Dunn.
    Hits is not a good stat to use. Too much of it is dependent on luck. Walks are not a bad thing, and in no way should Dunn's OBP be counted as less because it is heavily walk dependant.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Felipe Lopez
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Austin Kearns
    Really good players

FEAR

The 3 of them are the only ones doing anything with the bats. All 3 have been good basically the entire year (outside of FeLo's slump). Keep it up boys

Elizardo Ramirez

Maybe we have found something here. Yes he is 1-3, but that ain't his fault. He has an ERA around 3. If he keeps that up wins will come. At 23, maybe he is coming into his own.

The Bullpen
    Sucks

Adam Dunn
    Does he know that he is playing baseball? He is in a slump (a long one at that) and it doesn't seem to matter where you play him, he is going to make key errors.

Ryan Freel
    Keep him away from the field. Whenever he plays, bad things happen. Maybe if he goes on the DL he can get some 'rest' and not be worn out.
    I'm not getting into the Adam Dunn debate. He is what he is and when they quit playing with his hitting philosophy, he'll be fine. but...

You may be onto something with Ramirez. He seems to get into trouble often, but apparently has a couple of "out pitches" that serve him well (I didn't get to see last night's game or any of his other starts). He certainly looks better than Williams. Maybe Williams should go to the pen and leave Lizard in the rotation? Nah, that's too logical.

As for Freel, he continues to prove he's not an everyday player. If I remember correctly (and that's open to debate), when he played a lot two years ago he would slump badly and make horrible decisions when he got tired. Well, he's been doing the same thing this year. I also question his baseball judgement (we won't get into his judgement in other areas). He can do some wonderful things with his speed and hustle, but he also does some really boneheaded things. When playing sparingly, it seems he's more focused. I have watched him over the last ten games and he's constantly taking three strikes in a row or making boneheaded running decisions. Let him be a bench player. That's what he's suited for and nothing more.

The bullpen will get fixed in good time. WayneK will make good moves to shore up this problem. My biggest fear is that we'll lose some cogs on the club that we don't want to lose, but then again that's the tradeoff and the chance we have to take. Last night's game at 2-2 was a golden opportunity. Their bullpen responded and ours fell flat.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Hits is not a good stat to use. Too much of it is dependent on luck. Walks are not a bad thing, and in no way should Dunn's OBP be counted as less because it is heavily walk dependant.
    Having said that, wouldn't you have to agree that Albert P. must be the luckiest guy in the world??
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Haunted by walks

Wednesday's game against the Nats is a classic example of Dunn's dilemma. The Reds won by three runs, and Dunn played a role in three runs. He drove in two with a home run, and scored the go-ahead run after he got on base with a walk. Yet he struck out twice, once with the bases loaded, and left four men on base. And that's what people will remember, even though he played a key role in winning the game.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    Having said that, wouldn't you have to agree that Albert P. must be the luckiest guy in the world??
    Not at all. Pujols is the rare kind of guy that can go deep in the count without striking out, meaning he is able to take walks while also putting the ball in play.

When putting the ball in play, and it's not a HR the average BAPIP is roughly .300. For most guys when you go deep in the count it will lead to both BB's and K's. This is not neccessarily a bad thing like in Dunn's case, but Pujols is able to do it all.

Hits are too dependent on luck and for the most part is just a meaningless stat. Because Dunn walks, he wont get as many hits, and should not be punished for it which makes hits a bad indicator of his success, and the fact that Dunn has been unlucky based on BAPIP this season further shows that hits do not determine how good a player Dunn is.

Pujols hits lots of HR's and does not strikeout which in turn results in a high batting average/amount of hits for Pujols.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 05-13-2006 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    and scored the go-ahead run after he got on base with a walk.
    I think that's what a lot of people are missing here. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Not at all. Pujols is the rare kind of guy that can go deep in the count without striking out, meaning he is able to take walks while also putting the ball in play.

When putting the ball in play, and it's not a HR the average BAPIP is roughly .300. For most guys when you go deep in the count it will lead to both BB's and K's. This is not neccessarily a bad thing like in Dunn's case, but Pujols is able to do it all.

Hits are too dependent on luck and for the most part is just a meaningless stat. Because Dunn walks, he wont get as many hits, and should not be punished for it which makes hits a bad indicator of his success, and the fact that Dunn has been unlucky based on BAPIP this season further shows that hits do not determine how good a player Dunn is.

Pujols hits lots of HR's and does not strikeout which in turn results in a high batting average/amount of hits for Pujols.
    Good post. This could be used as a great example as to why Albert should not be placed in the same category as Dunn. I like Adam. I used to whine about his lack of avg with RISP and his strikeouts but not as much anymore. He is still the most feared hitter on this team. Whether or not his value supercedes the value of another pitcher who could bring similar numbers as Arroyo has is another story.

Turn Off Ads?