Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Narron is going to ruin Adam Dunn

Re: Narron is going to ruin Adam Dunn

The White Sox told Frank Thomas the same thing in the early 1990's. Fortunately he blew them off, but Thomas hit .330+ when he got a pitch to hit. I'm sure the frustration with Narron is the sub-.200 BA with RISP and the overall .250 or so BA. What bothers me is that it isn't Adam Dunn being concerned with his career track. He seems to be content with his results, which are very good, but could be off the charts. I don't care about the 175+ K's, I just want to see a .250 BA in RISP situations. If I'm down by 2, Dunn's up with a runner on, I want contact.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Managers will come and go and will probably all say the same thing to Dunn. He'll largely do what he wants to do, which is produce at an all-star level. I'm not worried about Dunn in the least. Though gnats like Narron should definitely find a new horse to pester; not that I think Narron affects his game, but that his pestering could actually be put to good use on some of the underachieving players.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

In Wayne We Trust

I agree with dflynn23, could Dunn just match his batting average when there are runners in scoring position? .240 or .250? That's not asking much. And what makes it worse, is he usually doesn't even make contact with RISP. With his talent and constant opportunities, he should easily be up there challenging George Foster for most RBI's in a year (149). I think Dunn is underachieving big time and hasn't improved at all in the past few years, especially his defense. Watching Dunn strikeout with a man on third with less than 2 outs time and time again makes me want to . His home runs are great and all, but how about some more clutch RBI's for a change.
    > :lindner:

At least he's not batting him leadoff.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

he should easily be up there challenging George Foster for most RBI's in a year (149)
    The Reds have had FIVE guys ever with 130 RBI's in a season, and Foster was the last one, there is nothing "easy" about that, you have to bat with runners on constantly and be in a groove that is otherworldy.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle1976
    I agree with dflynn23, could Dunn just match his batting average when there are runners in scoring position? .240 or .250? That's not asking much. And what makes it worse, is he usually doesn't even make contact with RISP. With his talent and constant opportunities, he should easily be up there challenging George Foster for most RBI's in a year (149). I think Dunn is underachieving big time and hasn't improved at all in the past few years, especially his defense. Watching Dunn strikeout with a man on third with less than 2 outs time and time again makes me want to . His home runs are great and all, but how about some more clutch RBI's for a change.
    Batting average does not correlate to runs scored, even with RISP. With men on base SLG is a more viable stat to look at, and Dunn has plenty of it. I'm not sure why the fuss over the best hitter on the team while he's actually produced this year.

Even for hitters, BABIP is drawn quite a bit from luck than skill. While it appears that hitters are able to control their BABIP a little bit more than pitchers can, there is still quite a bit of luck involved.

The league average is .300, and in some seasons a hitter is able to hit for a BABIP well over .300, only to see themselves drop well below .300 the following season (and then right back up in yet another season).

All that said, take a look at which seasons stand out in BABIP:

Dunn 2001: .298 BABIP
    Dunn 2002: .316 BABIP
    Dunn 2003: .241 BABIP
    Dunn 2004: .321 BABIP
    Dunn 2005: .281 BABIP
    Dunn 2006: .231 BABIP

Dunn Career: .291 BABIP

In 2003, when Dunn batted a skinny .215 and people really began railing on his batting average, it was caused by the luck driven BABIP factor, and for the season his BABIP was only .241. Likewise, so far this season Dunn is hitting .228, and people are probably beginning to get ticked off. However, his BABIP is only .231, which is extremely unlucky. It is very likely that over the rest of this season Dunn's BABIP will rise to the norm, and when it does his batting average will also creep a bit higher than .228.

Of course, we still have to talk about actual production, and as far as actual production goes, Dunn's still producing big. Right now in 2006 his season RC/27 mark is 9.59, and his best full season RC/27 was 2004 at 8.99 RC/27.

Dunn's still producing big this season; he's just not doing it in the fashion that the casual fan prefers.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky
    With the way the umps have been calling balls and strikes lately he may need to swing at a few pitches on the edge of his strikezone that the ump will call strikes. I don't have any problems with Dunn but he may have to adjust to expanding strike zones.
    I agree with this Dunn just needs to expand his strike Zone. He takes too many pitches that he should be able to drive. Dunn has great strike zone coverage with those long arms and the long bat he uses he could do lot of damage to the outside pitch if he would go the other way. If Kearns can adjust and drive the ball the other way when they pitch him outside and make the adjustment again when they start busting him inside by going up the middle or pulling the ball when they come inside, then Dunn needs to learn how to do the same thing. I also would like to see Dunn use a shorter bat like what Bonds uses too.

In Wayne We Trust

I also would like to see Dunn use a shorter bat like what Bonds uses too.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.

In Wayne We Trust

Austin Kearns, do you ever watch Reds games? I doubt you do because if you did, you'd realize how frustrating watching Dunn is. His two homers a week don't satisfy me. I want RBI's when there are men on third with less than 2 outs. Not too much to ask. He's had 3 sac fly's in his last 1000+ at bats. That's pitiful. He's a very good player, obviously, just not clutch. One of the main reasons why the Reds are winning this year is they are doing the little things. Getting guys on, moving them over, and getting them in. That's how you consistently win. I just wish Dunn would make contact, anywhere, when guys are in scoring position with less than two outs.

A shorter bat?

Now I HAVE heard it all.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    A shorter bat?

Now I HAVE heard it all.
    Aw, c'mon, wheels. We all know that shorter bats help players hit more pitches outside the strike zone...y'know...like that Bonds guy. He's always swinging at Balls instead of Strikes. It's what's made him such a fearsome hitter...and stuff...

And as to the original topic...

Narron has always demonstrated that he's a guy who kinda' sorta' half gets it. He'll say something that actually does make sense to give ya' some hope. But then he'll follow it up with something completely nonsensical. Problem is that those folks can end up doing more harm than good because they tend coach and manage in an indiscriminate fashion without considering the differences between individual player styles. That's why we see implementation of behavior coaching that one hitter can pull off regardless of whether or not it's a good idea while another shouldn't even be given the direction in the first place.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Haunted by walks

I want RBI's when there are men on third with less than 2 outs.
    Can someone explain this? Dunn has 9 at bats this year in that situation. He has no hits, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts -- and 4 rbis. Nearly half the time he's been in that situation, he drives in a run.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    If I was Dunn, I would shake my head but then turn around and just continue to do what I do.
    That's exactly what he should do.

Bob Boone tried this exact same thing with Dunn during his .215 season.

Dunn is Dunn, why can't people just let it go and worry about real problems? like the horrible bullpen and nonexistent back end of the rotation.
    Go Gators!

Austin Kearns, do you ever watch Reds games? I doubt you do because if you did, you'd realize how frustrating watching Dunn is. His two homers a week don't satisfy me. I want RBI's when there are men on third with less than 2 outs. Not too much to ask. He's had 3 sac fly's in his last 1000+ at bats. That's pitiful. He's a very good player, obviously, just not clutch. One of the main reasons why the Reds are winning this year is they are doing the little things. Getting guys on, moving them over, and getting them in. That's how you consistently win. I just wish Dunn would make contact, anywhere, when guys are in scoring position with less than two outs.
    I agree that Dunn can be frustrating to watch but just because a player is frustrating to watch doesn't mean that he's not producing. It's just that he produces in a way different from most other ball players and sometimes it's easy to forget about all the runs that he produces in other situations and focus only on those situations such as a a man on third and less than two outs which really don't happen as often as you'd think.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?