Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Someone explain this one to me

Old Red Guard Reject

Someone explain this one to me

How is a walk as good as a single?

I know in total base stats it counts the same and some have commented on it being equal. But, the obvious difference to me is that a single can score a runner from third or second and a walk cannot. (unless the bases are loaded for the runner to score from third of course) I'm not arguing about this, just needing some clarification for future reference.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Someone explain this one to me

At times it is, and at times it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    How is a walk as good as a single?

I know in total base stats it counts the same and some have commented on it being equal. But, the obvious difference to me is that a single can score a runner from third or second and a walk cannot. (unless the bases are loaded for the runner to score from third of course) I'm not arguing about this, just needing some clarification for future reference.
    Neither result in an out. Both result in the batter advancing one base.

You can't and shouldn't give the hitter more credit (RBI) for something he has no control over (runners on base when he comes to the plate).

Also... a ball hit into play can be turned into a double play where a BB cannot result in an out on that play.

It also uses up at least 4 pitches.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Plus a player can't score if he doesn't get on base. A walk accomplishes that just as well as a hit.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz

You can't and shouldn't give the hitter more credit (RBI) for something he has no control over (runners on base when he comes to the plate).
    Not giving the hitter credit, but comparing the two situations, one can score runners while one does not usually. So why is the single not better?

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    Also... a ball hit into play can be turned into a double play where a BB cannot result in an out on that play.
    A single does not turn into a DP. Also, a batted ball can also advance runners, but that's not what we're talking about.

One thing to consider is often when a batter walks it's often because they did not get a good pitch to hit. As such it is a fallacy to assume that a player chooses a walk vs. getting hit when in reality they cosice is more likely between a walk and an out.

I will say that hits are more fun to watch than walks.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz

Some hitters are better than others when it comes to hitting with runners in scoring position. I hit is better than a walk with runners on base.

It all depends on the situation. If the bases are empty, or there's a runner on first who only moves to second on the single, then a walk is identical to a hit because they ended with the same result. On the other hand if there's a runner on second and he scores on a single, that hit is worth way more than a walk. It's all circumstances.

Turn Off Ads?