Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens to Dunn with men in scoring position

What happens to Dunn with men in scoring position

To satisfy all I won't talk about Avg. RISP, though it is the stat I look at. Let's look at his OBP this year with runners in scoring position Bases empty: .422 and with RISP:.333 -- that's almost a ninety point difference, about twice the difference between his batting avg. and avg. with RISP! This a guy who has a problem when men are on base.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What happens to Dunn with men in scoring position

Yeah it is a problem. I look at OBP as well, but like you said that drops dramatically with RISP. A 90 point difference is huge, and does mean he is making outs and not producing runs when they count.

13 HOMERUNS 26 RBI'S!!!!!!!!!!! that is a bad rbi ratio anyway you take it. he has driven in 13 team mates all season.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

He's in a horrible slump and seldom sees any good pitches to hit when there are runners on base. He goes through this every year. He'll come out of it.

He's also played every game this season. I think it might be a good idea to give him a day off. Everyone else seems to get them.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    13 HOMERUNS 26 RBI'S!!!!!!!!!!! that is a bad rbi ratio anyway you take it. he has driven in 13 team mates all season.
    and conversely I could say what a bunch of lousy teammates he has. they can't even drive themselves in.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

He's slumping. It happens.

Last I checked, there were 8 other guys making Leiber look like Cy Young out on the mound today, not just Adam Dunn.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

A "let's pick on Adam Dunn" thread? The Reds must have lost today.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Nay, not "picking on" Dunn, and it's not about tonight. The thread is about an extraordinary statistic. I'm also looking at stats that span the full six weeks of the season. I don't think that's a slump, that's an out-and-out problem. Now you may disagree and say it's not a problem because Adam is producing by way of x way of looking at it. Go ahead. But please be mature and don't mis-characterize the thread in an effort to start up some gorilla dust.

What's happening to Adam Dunn with Runners in Scoring Position?

From an OBP perspective, he's getting crap to hit and he swings at it too much. Thanks for channelling Bob Boone, Mr. Narron.

For the RBI and Runs Scored initiates...

Adam Dunn is tied for 13th in the NL in RBI w/RISP with 18 despite a Batting Average of .184 w/RISP in 38 AB. The two guys he's tied with (Khalil Greene, Jeff Francoeur) have 37 and 41 AB respectively and are putting up RISP Batting Averages of .270 and .341 respectively. Dunn has acquired one less RBI in three more AB than has Austin Kearns (35 AB) despite Kearns' 159 point RISP Batting Average adavantage. Dunn's 119 point SLG w/RISP advantage will do that.

What's "happening" to adam Dunn is that folks tend to not have a clue about what actually drives RBI acquisition and Run production. And yes, that includes Jerry Narron.

Dunn is also tied for 8th in the NL in RBI w/RISP and 2 Out with 8 (16 AB). His RBI/AB conversion percentage (50%) is excellent. A .688 SLG will do that for you.

Dunn is tied for fourth in the NL in Runs w/RISP with 22; four behind the NL leader- Felipe Lopez. Lopez' numbers with RISP are .303 BA/.425 OBP/.394 SLG. Yet Lopez has acquired only 11 RBI w/RISP in 33 AB despite that .303 BA. How? A sub-.400 SLG from Lopez.

And all that being said, I do need to give props to Wheelhouse for producing a post centered on OBP rather than BA.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    What's happening to Adam Dunn with Runners in Scoring Position?

From an OBP perspective, he's getting crap to hit and he swings at it too much.
    That's all that needs to be said.

I think he is pressing and swinging for the fences in those situations, and throws plate discipline out the window because everyone is telling him "you're here to drive in runs, not take a walk!"

One also has to realize that with Jr out, he really had no "protection" in this batting order.

I'm glad to see Kearns moved up in that order.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Management could also help out by:

1. Telling folks "we really want AD to focus on obp and scoring runs"....

2. Maybe batting him 2nd or 6th until he gets things going. Most fans can't handle his so-called lack of success. Steel that's a great stat re: 4th in the league w/risp (rbi's), but i really believe 80-85% of fans out there have not a clue where he stands relative to his peers.

At his current PAs w/RISP Dunn is 4 walks/hits away from having and OBP of .400 w/RISP.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

His OBP is always pretty good. My point is that Dunn's approach with RISP causes his performance to tail off dramatically. And if you put a premium on OBP over BA, it tails off twice as much. This has become a growing problem when a huge part of the guys game is OBP.
    Last edited by Wheelhouse; 05-14-2006 at 09:23 AM.

In Wayne We Trust

RUNNERS ON 35 56 23 10 1 0 5 18 13 24 1 0 .333 .464 .179
    BASES EMPTY 37 71 8 19 3 0 8 8 19 23 0 0 .422 .648 .268

Dunn OPS drops 273 with runners on. And his strikeouts/at-bat (including walks) goes up 9 points from .26 to .35. That's very alarming and very frustrating if you watch him every game like I do. Couldn't he choke up on the bat when he has two strikes on him??? I don't know what his stats are when he has two strikes on him, but I'm terrified to know.

Hopefully, he'll improve soon because right now he's just not getting it 'dunn'.
    > :lindner:

you know what the funniest thing about all this BS is? Dunn, despite having a horrible may so far, is on pace for 57 HR's, 136 runs and 114 RBI's. So please go on telling me about how he sucks. It's really amusing.

Turn Off Ads?