Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Most Impressive Prospect YTD?

Most Impressive Prospect YTD?

Nominees:

Johnny Cueto-- A 6 IP no-no on top of excellent stats. Less than batter/ inning on base. Is he too short?

Carlos Fisher-- Another out of nowhere prospect/ suspect? String of shutout IP impressive, but his perephials aren't as good as other on the list.

Homer Bailey-- Two great starts, one bad one. Lather, rinse, repeat. Is he a bone fide prospect?

Phil Dumatrait-- Underappreciated among Red fans. Has done very well in AA the past two seasons. Ready for a return to AAA or is he better served to wait for the fifth starter spot in Chattanooga?

Travis Chick-- Finally, a prospect dealt for that is still that a few months later. Has he turned a corner or is this simply early season, small sample size hyperbole?

Daivd Shafer-- 12 saves and a great WHIP. Closer of the future? When is the future?

Paul Janish-- Hitting almost .400, but he's old for the league. Can he pull a Brandon Wood?

Jay Bruce-- Love his potential. Is he the only true offensive prospect in the entire pipeline?

Drew Anderson-- Look up the numbers. He's among the top five Red position players in almost all categories. Is that an indication of how poorly the pipeline has produced or is Anderson the real deal?

Comments? Others I've forgotten?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Most Impressive Prospect YTD?

Lecure, Guevara, and Medlock.
    Votto and Strait (his speed adj. slg looks pretty good right now).
    Szymanski is probably in similar status as Janish w/ age and injury history, etc.

About every guy on that list is a prospect. It just depends on the level and potential on how you rate a prospect at this point. I think you have to go with the people at the top because ABall is where the development and consistancy side are mostly worked on. Those guys are 2007-08.

Joey Votto: Most advanced, putting up solid AA numbers, known for his second half booms, could really catch fire. Good plate coverage and no hacker. Undervalued IMO because he doesn't do anything great and has no great tool, but he doesn't have any glaring weakness either which is very understated when looking at a prospect.
    David Shafer: one of those guys that moved to the pen and added some heat, then he slowly but surely took off. IMO unlike Guevara, he has a decent shot to be a middle relief/setup guy. Needs to locate his pitches a little better, but has continued good stretch run from last season into good start. If you start bringing up the AA guys, he is who you start with.
    Honerable: Yes, Mr.Chick has shown some "hopefull signs", but the recovery process will take awhile.

Note: I don't consider Deno a prospect anymore, he is just getting pushed in the minors to the Reds or somebody open up some time for him.

Paul Janish-- Hitting almost .400, but he's old for the league. Can he pull a Brandon Wood?
    Hit 50+ homeruns? I'm gonna say no.

Johnny Cueto has been the most impressive pitching prospect. Jay Bruce gets the honors from the hitters perspective.

22 hits and only 6 walks in 33 innings. Gotta love that 6 bb/45 k ratio

Speaking of prospects...where is Javon Moran this year?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed75
    Speaking of prospects...where is Javon Moran this year?
    Sarasota. I believe he made his '06 debut just a few days ago, must have been injured.

I'd have to agree with you OBM, Cueto and Bruce have definitely had the most impressive starts, IMO. Bruce's power is bit more than I would have expected, even though it was always thought to be good. Cueto has struck out 34.4% of the batters he's faced and he's only given up 9 free passes if you add his walks with the batters that he's hit. If only he can now stop giving up the long ball.

Also I would have to say that I've been impressed with Dumatrait. He's striking out 25% of the batters he has faced, up from his 18% last year, while his K/BB has also risen to 2.31 from 1.43 last year and still being stingy with home runs allowed. That he is gaining in control is somewhat expected, I guess, with this being his second year back from TJ, but we'll have to see if that continues.

Two categories with which to assess all prospects is their potential and their progress toward reaching their potential.
    Jay Bruce and Homer Bailey are the Reds prospects with the most potential, and they are making steady improvement toward reaching it, while still requiring more improvement before they are close to ready.
    Travis Chick and Joey Votto have had quality starts to 2006 and are one stage closer to reaching their potential than the first two prospects I mentioned, while their potential has a little lower ceiling.
    While there are a number of prospects with a chance of developing into Reds players, these four look like the prospects with the best chance of making an impact on the Reds in the future.

age and level say the answers are Travis Chick and Homer Bailey. They have the stuff now they need to develop the consistency.

Turn Off Ads?