Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Williams: "like" or "no like" as the #5?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah--he's on the upcurve.

18 12.77%
  • Nope--pure junk that the league will tune-in to.

67 47.52%
  • Ask me after a few more starts.

56 39.72%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you like Williams any better?

Do you like Williams any better?

He's pitched much better as of late--is he acceptable as the Reds #5?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Re: Do you like Williams any better?

Well...

Let's jsut say that tonight was the Dave Williams I remembered from last year with the Pirates. Take that any way you want.

When Williams is on, he's a more than adequate 5th starter. The big question is what is going to happen when Milton comes back? Harang and Branson are givens, but after that you have Claussen, Williams, and the Lizard. Clearly, the Lizard has pitched better than either Claussen or Williams, so what do you do? Lucky me. I don't have to make the choice, but it's a situation that is pretty nice to be in.

Claussen has never shown consistency. And you know Milton's story (sorry, couldn't reisist). My best guess is that Williams will continue to put up good numbers and the Lizard will be sent back leaving us with Milton.

Excuse me while I
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Still a soft tossing lefty, I'd keep him in the rotation if Claussen keeps stinking it up, Milton is paid to much and the Lizard has been at least effective to boot them.
    Go Gators!

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

He's amazing to watch. I don't know how he get's anybody out with his "stuff". I have two breaking balls that I can throw that are better than what he throws,and at real close to the same speeds. Seriously. Although I can't get it into the 80's like he does.

I was fascinated watching him get the Phillies out. They had to be totally frustrated.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time.

If his slow sweeping curve isn't working for him - and it hasn't consistently this year so far - then he is fresh meat for the opposition.

His last start he got credit for the win (which I laughed at, seeing his performance). Last night he got a tough luck loss.

It all evens out.

If you like Claussen, then you'll love Williams, because consistency is their biggest problem.

My hope, when he came here, was that he could possibly be a serviceable #5.

I'm not yet convinced yet.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-15-2006 at 08:59 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I didn't hear much of the game. We went out to take pictures of my son and his girlfriend going to her prom, then went to dinner, stopped to get a movie, etc.. I picked up bits and pieces and I liked what I heard of Williams' performance. I still wonder about whether he's doing better with the extra rest. If so, I wonder if he would be better moving to the pen when Milton comes back and being the long relief swing starter.

Pitchers like Williams always cause problems "fitting" into the rotation, and indecision by a manager, when they give you a start like last night.

His starts prior to yesterday were not anything close to quality starts.

Then he goes out and throws a gem like last night, which then gets people wondering maybe, is there a possibility?

If I were a gambling man (and I'm not), I'd say no.

He's being given the opportunity due to Milton being out, which is fine. And once Milty is back, the Lizard will be sent back down.

But if Williams continues to show the inconsistency that he has, I'd keep the Lizard on speed dial. The only other option we have is Berlisle.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I think Dave Williams could surprise us. If he can keep the ball down and tighten the rotation on his curve, he could be the same guy who had the best road ERA last year. He knows how to pitch, he just has to be mechanically perfect. He may have suffered early on from new coaching.

Sometimes it's hard to watch a guy throw like he does and believe he could ever get big leaguers out. Jamie Moyer bounced around as several teams' fifth starter until he reached Seattle.

With Claussen, I think the Reds should package him soon for an experienced starter. I really don't think his style is conducive to GAB. Usually, teams trading away decent pitching expect to receive some promising pitching in return. Claussen is young, cheap, and promising. I'm just afraid he will give up a boatload of homers this year, lose confidence, and be lost to mankind forever. So I'd package him right now before his stats get too ugly and his confidence gets dashed.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

got alil captain in u?

dave might have just foundf something last nite he was by far pittsburgh's best starter last year at times not that says much but he can get it done if he can just put some more heat on thta fastball and keep it in the park he'll be fine

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I think the real key yesterday was that he was facing a lineup that was probably a better fit vs. a RH pitcher. He benefited greatly from Abreu not being in the lineup and from turning Rollins around. Burrell tends to be inconsistent from time to time which was his only real threat from the right side. Plus it was very cool down at the park, so balls were not flying out. These things helped him plus he had "his pitch" working. However I will reserve my judgement until a later time as he at least showed he could get big league hitters out.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Not sure why the concensus is that the Lizard goes back down. He's clearly our 3rd best starter so far this year, he eats innings and gets ground balls.

To me, when Milton returns its time to think outside the box a little and see if Ramierez/Milton/Claussen/Williams can't help in the pen somehow.

I agree Marc D, Ramirez, in his 4 starts has the second lowest ERA of all the starters. I doubt he will boot Milton from the rotation, but I dont know if I were the manager if I could send him and his 3.13 ERA down to keep Williams and his 6.32 ERA in the rotation.

Milton won't get the boot, it'll be either Williams or Claussen, their next starts should decide it.
    Go Gators!

If he can maintain, he'll be fine. But based on only one good performance, I'd say it's too early to judge.

What he did show us... he's capable.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 05-14-2006 at 09:38 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?