Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you get when......

What do you get when......

you have runners at the corners and two outs with someone with a carrer OPS of .904.

Well, I'm sure you are asking yourself what so I'll answer the question very short and then I'll expand on that. The short answer is a strike out.

This person's carrer numbers are as follows.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    Bases Empty 682 1343 98 337 77 4 98 98 193 424 0 0 .251 .353 .533 .886Runners On 658 1055 353 256 54 2 73 302 301 356 42 16 .243 .417 .505922
    RISP 562 598 292 129 36 1 39 231 201 209 16 5 .216 .418 .475 .893
    RISP w/2 Outs 366 265 123 53 16 0 13 80 103 90 13 2 .200 .427 .408 .835
    Bases Loaded 133 53 81 12 5 0 5 50 8 23 0 0 .226 .299 .604 .902

Bascially that means this person will stikeout 37 percent of the time with runners in scoring positon. Not just get out, but stike out. You throw the 2 outs in there and the strike out ratio reduces, but its till 33 percent. I guess he must get some grip or gain some IQ.

In case you are wondering this person strikes out 50% of the time with the bases loaded.
    This person's K ration actually drops with no one on base shockingly, it stand at 31 percent as a carrer average.

Go figure huh??

Sounds like someone who chokes huh??

Look at a marginal major league in Rich Aurilla.

His RBI ratio with RISP is 37%. He K's about 16% of the time.
    You can look at his numbers to compare further, but it really is sad that $10 Million run producer makes that much compared with a major league veteran that barely hangs on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What do you get when......

This is what you think about at 4:46am? You should consider Ambien.

In Wayne We Trust

Great stats. The fact of the matter is Dunn is highly overrated and highly overpaid. With men on, his OPS should raise because you get 'free' outs with sacrifices. He's much worse in important game-changing situations.
    > :lindner:

Good numbers. Dunn is very valuable, but he needs to become more well rounded to contribute like he's capable of. I will take his current numbers if he becomes remotely competent on defense, or turns into a true clubhouse leader. He can be great, but as you point out he is certainly not there yet. People are all too easily awed by power.

Agreed.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle1976
    Great stats. The fact of the matter is Dunn is highly overrated and highly overpaid. With men on, his OPS should raise because you get 'free' outs with sacrifices.
    Sacrifice flies count as an out for OBA, so there's no free anything in that situation.

His OPS in all of the given situations is pretty close, so shows very little deviation.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    Sacrifice flies count as an out for OBA, so there's no free anything in that situation.

His OPS in all of the given situations is pretty close, so shows very little deviation.
    Dunn is what he is and we should all accept that. I'll take someone who hits 40 HRs anyday. Just don't expect him to hit .300.

In Wayne We Trust

I may have been wrong about the sac fly thing, I didn't know that. However, Dunn's OPS is 273 points lower this year with runners on. That's not good.
    > :lindner:

Originally Posted by kyle1976
    Great stats. The fact of the matter is Dunn is highly overrated and highly overpaid. With men on, his OPS should raise because you get 'free' outs with sacrifices.
    If you are going to rip the player at least learn the scoring rules of the game that he plays.

Also, I don't understand why some posters are blaming Narron for what's going on with Dunn. My main issue with Dunn is with RISP. His numbers aside from that I can live with. If what Narron is "forcing" Dunn to do actually hurt him, then he would perform badly across the board. Let's look at what happens in a situation when runners are on base, aside from the fact that the pitcher 'bears down':

It is harder to focus because there are moving baserunners in the field when you are at the plate. Also, you can be dealing with more complex instructions from the 3B coach. Concentration is a key to hitting in this situation.

Why do some fielders get good reads and take good routes on batted balls and others do not? An ability to concentrate.

Why do some baserunners get caught in baserunning gaffes? A lack of concentration.

What we have in Dunn is a player with enormous power who is unfocused and lacks an ability to concentrate if the game starts to contain an element of complexity in its play.

How to remedy it? I don't know if it can be remedied. It takes a very strong work ethic, an appetite for repetition, and a steel will to improve. He has to play the game and not let the game play him (i.e., being in shape early and not just letting the ST routine and playing get him in shape or doing extra practice beyond what is required and creating challenges for himself in that practice.) I'm just worried Dunn thinks his game is what it is and is happy to take the check. I hope that worry is unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle1976
    I may have been wrong about the sac fly thing, I didn't know that. However, Dunn's OPS is 273 points lower this year with runners on. That's not good.
    Could it be an early season slump? Could it be that when he gets hot (and he will), that number will go up?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    If you are going to rip the player at least learn the scoring rules of the game that he plays.
    True, but phrased with the biting edge of someone who arguement has been shown to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse
    True, but phrased with the biting edge of someone who arguement has been shown to be wrong.
    Don't stop there...do tell?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse
    Wrong in what realm Wheelhouse?

You mind trotting out an argument with that attack?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Wrong in what realm Wheelhouse?

You mind trotting out an argument with that attack?
    I don't know west. All I'm saying is that your statement is phrased like someone who's argument has been proven wrong. As far as I know you may just be a little bit crabby. Ugh, ways people try to get a thread off-topic.
    Last edited by Wheelhouse; 05-14-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Turn Off Ads?