Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow .. Joe isn't sounding very well? Anyone listening on the radio?

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Wow .. Joe isn't sounding very well? Anyone listening on the radio?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    It was a horribly called game from Nuxhall, no way to sugarcoat it. And, his call on the go-ahead hr was a joke. I was in the car when that one happened, talking with my better half, and had no idea a hr had even been hit until the inning ended and he gave the score as 2-1.
    I too was listening to the radio. I did not miss the part where Joe said the ball landed in the grass in front of the batter's eye (probably while Howard was trotting around the bases). No, he did not scream and/or holler when the HR happened. He, like me and the rest of real REDS fans, was probably disappointed and found nothing to go ga-ga over.

Perhaps your wife distracted you, membengal, but that is not a reason to hate on Joe. To portray this story as if he did not mention the fact that the ball went over the fence after Howard hit it is inaccurate.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I didn't portray it that way. I might have expected a little more from an announcer on a homerun that puts the Phils up than an inflection as if you are reading the ingredients aloud from a cereal box.

And, since I apparently missed the memo where people have to post of late around here like they are measuring genitalia, since you appear to be wanting to get into a "bona fides" debate, I don't see how it is MY fault, after 4 hours of driving back from Cincy, on my way to Memphis, while stopping off in Nashville to buy a new used car since my other one almost literally blew up as I was coming up to Cincy for the weekend, with my wife in the car, that I might get a little more from Nuxhall than what I got. That's all.

And, look. Don't you frickin' lecture me on Nuxhall. I grew up, like most did around here, on Marty and Joe. Five years old and sneaking a radio under my pillow to listen to games back in 1975, well past my bedtime. Summer was Nux on the radio. But those fond memories don't change what it is now. He was terrible yesterday. He didn't get the game across when he was on the mic. And that's not a new thing. It's sad. I miss what was, but I also know that time waits for no one.

Thanks for the lecture though. I needed something to boil my blood on a Monday.

But, hey, when you let me know when I get to join your REAL Reds fan club, I will be the happiest person this board. What a joyful day that will be.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-15-2006 at 10:43 AM.

I didn't portray it that way.

But, hey, when you let me know when I get to join your REAL Reds fan club, I will be the happiest person this board. What a joyful day that will be.
    Post the facts as they are and there is no problem. Reread your 1st post here as much as you want and interpret how you please, but a lot of people will read that and assume that Joe never mentioned the HR or a 2-1 deficit until the 1/2 inning was over.

I am not lecturing anyone... only setting THE FACTS straight.

I simply stated that I missed his homerun call. I gave a reason why (talking to my wife). I note that perhaps an inflection from Joe beyond what you might give for a pop-up might have been in order.

I stand by that statement. I also stand by my reponse above.

I don't understand why Nuxhall, who has been wonderful my whole life, is off-limits for observations about how he has deteriorated. He has. It impacts games that he calls. Profoundly. The problems ran all through the game call yesterday, not just the HR.

Yours truly,

Apparently only a "sorta" Reds fan.

I heard the HR call on XM radio this morning when taking my son to school. Not much different than most of the calls of opponents homers that I have heard Joe make since the late 60's. I listened to some of the middle of the game on XM on my way home from dinner yesterday and had no problem following the game with Joe at the microphone.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Apparently only a "sorta" Reds fan.
    Okay, membengal. That is fine. Perhaps you mis-interpreted my comment about REAL REDS fans (which I consider all who visit here except the occasional opposing fan who joins here) not being excited over an opposing HR. But interpretation is very important on a message board. Kinda ironic considering my interpretation of your 1st post in this thread.

People can bash away at Joe. Just let it be known that Joe did tell the radio-listeners that it was a HR and that it landed in the grass in front of the Batter's Eye before a pitch was thrown to the next hitter. That is a fact and cannot be interpreted in any other way. If someone did not hear that b/c they were in a conversation, then I am glad to let them know this fact.

Joe may not be good at the announcing thing. Some think he never was good. However, as a REAL REDS FAN you must know that he is a legend. And criticizing a legend will bring reaction from other REAL REDS FANS like yourself. It is the nature of the beast... like getting criticized when doing a public job (like announcing).

I usually don't listen very much on the radio and this being my first year in the area. How often does Joe do radio games anymore. The times I've listened it's always Marty or Steve. First time I heard Joe was yesterday.

I did notice that Joe sounded a little out of breath in his first PBP inning.

But as the innings went by, he seemed to regain his old cadence and settled into his Joe groove.

I noticed too that in the pre-game, Joe was more prepared with facts and stats than what he used to be. And his pre-game interactions with Marty was a little more stiff. But I just chalked it up to Marty and Joe having not worked together recently.

Pay attention to the open sky

I did notice that Joe sounded a little out of breath in his first PBP inning.
    If IIRC Joe is a long time smoker, at his age and with that past history he's going to probably sound out of breath ordering a steak.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    If IIRC Joe is a long time smoker, at his age and with that past history he's going to probably sound out of breath ordering a steak.
    <drool> I sound all out of breath when I order a steak too. </drool>

GL

It was a horribly called game from Nuxhall, no way to sugarcoat it. And, his call on the go-ahead hr was a joke. I was in the car when that one happened, talking with my better half, and had no idea a hr had even been hit until the inning ended and he gave the score as 2-1.
    I completely disagree. I thouroughly enjoyed his call yesterday and not for nostalgia's sake. His voice did seem lower for lung or cold reasons, but that did not adversely affect his call.

IMO Joe brings it back to the basics and really paints a picture for the listener. He allows you to get into the game completely. You are right there with Joe, and you know he is watching the game. His call shows concern for the listener by humbly putting himself out of the focus. Nobody uses silence better than Nuxhall to create anticipation and let you hear the noises of the park, as well.

Needless to say, he is the perfect counterpoint to Marty. A great team.
    Last edited by PickOff; 05-15-2006 at 03:40 PM.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    I heard the HR call on XM radio this morning when taking my son to school. Not much different than most of the calls of opponents homers that I have heard Joe make since the late 60's. I listened to some of the middle of the game on XM on my way home from dinner yesterday and had no problem following the game with Joe at the microphone.
    Good and accurate post, Randy. I see no difference in Joe since 1967 (I think) when he took over color duties.

You should listen to the XM shows where they compare HR calls by home and away announcers. Some guys simply seem remorseful when the other team hits a HR. At least we know Joe was upset that it happened. "Happy Grande" just screams and yells when the opposition does anything good. One of the many reasons why a lot of Reds fans simply turn down the sound on the TV broadcasts.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    One of the many reasons why a lot of Reds fans simply turn down the sound on the TV broadcasts.
    Not anymore; they're not synchronized and you know what's going to happen about 7 seconds before it actually does.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Not anymore; they're not synchronized and you know what's going to happen about 7 seconds before it actually does.
    Is it that way on over-the-air TV, too? I assumed it was because I watch FSN Ohio on DirecTV.

Yeah, it's a pain, but I still do it just to avoid you know who and the contant tirade of really dumb comments. In fact during the Philly series, I was in the kitchen getting something to eat and came back in right at the end of an inning. George was talking about someone scoring on a sac fly. I was baffled how the Phils could get a runner to third and a fly ball when I left the game with no one on and two strikes on the next hitter. Come to find out, George was talking about another league game while the last out was made -- he just continued on into the commercial break (I have Tivo, so I checked it out).
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I heard the HR call in question and I agree with the critism. For me it wasn't so much the lack of excitement as it was the lack of a good description.

If you weren't paying very close attention, you easily could have missed it. I appreciate the guy not going nuts over it and I also enjoy announcers not saying anything at times but you still need to do your job and not sulk. This is radio. You are the eyes and ears of the listener and saying nothing during the most crucial moment of the game just doesn't do it. Now or 37 years ago. It might be Joe's style but that doesn't make it right. It is the radio announcers job to paint a picture of what is happening and at that moment Joe's brush and paint were nowhere to be found. Good announcers do their job no matter what is happening on the field. I don't have much experience listening to Joe but from what I am hearing, Joe only does his job when the Reds are doing well and doesn't do his job when the Reds are doing bad. And on top of it people are accepting of it because that is how others with the same job in other cities behave.

Goes back to what my mom used to always say, if everyone else jumped off the pier, would you join them?

Turn Off Ads?