Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To stay in hunt, Reds must trade Griffey

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: To stay in hunt, Reds must trade Griffey

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    He’s also a five-and-ten player, so his approval will be needed before a trade can be made. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12745975/
    And the media just assume's he'll consent. My bet for a long time is that he would consent to few (if any) teams without significant compensation. And if the Reds are in contention, it'll be even tougher to get his consent.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

"To stay in the hunt, Reds MUST trade Griffey"

Easier said then done when the CFer has veto rights, and a very short list of teams he'd even consider.

If they could trade him to someone, such as the Yanks, who are in dire need and the monies invested on the risk wouldn't hurt them, then go for it.

But it ain't gonna happen because I don't think Jr wants anything to do with them. His relationship with King George would be volatile as his health. It will never happen.

And No, I wouldn't trade Ears while still retaining Jr (if that is what is being suggested).

You trade high, and we would need a good solid year of consistent production from Ears to get that.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Chi Sox need a CFer desperately, and they have a speedy CFer in the minors ready to come up. When the Reds don't have a leadoff hitter the offense struggles (look at offense when Freel was hot, and look at it now).

I would pay some of Griffey's salary to get that speedy CFer (somebody tell me his name) and a solid pitching prospect.

If you want to realistically deal Junior, you have to eat some of his salary.

No one is going to trade for Griffey with the idea of him playing CF IMO, especially not the White Sox who value defense a great deal. Last year the trade would have worked for them b/c they could have put KG at DH, but now they have Thome, so that ship has sailed IMO.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    No one is going to trade for Griffey with the idea of him playing CF IMO, especially not the White Sox who value defense a great deal. Last year the trade would have worked for them b/c they could have put KG at DH, but now they have Thome, so that ship has sailed IMO.
    They could put Podsednik back in CF.

Chris Young isn't there anymore either

True, but just to be sure you're saying that KG could possibly play LF? b/c IIRC you've shot that one down pretty frequently when it's been discussed around here.

FWIW, I think KG might accept a trade to the White Sox, even if it meant him playing LF.

I'd forgotten that the WS were playing that scrub Podsednik in LF.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    True, but just to be sure you're saying that KG could possibly play LF? b/c IIRC you've shot that one down pretty frequently when it's been discussed around here.
    I think Griffey would be a fantastic LFer. When he gets to it he catches it, but his problem is range.

I don't think Griffey wants to move to left field, but to go to the White Sox he might. That would ovbiously be something that has to be dealt with before a trade.

I don't think Narron has the guts to tell Griffey to move to LF, but if Junior wants to go to the Sox they could tell him he has to do it or they won't trade for him.

Griffey isn't bad, but something about him must hurt the team. They suck when he comes back
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    Didn't Chicago offer Chris Young and Casey Regowski last year for Griffey or was that just a rumor? That would be enough value to make me deal Jr.

i work with a familly member of regowski(couisin or uncle) and yes that was thrown up last season. even if we dont trade griffey i would love for the reds to get him. he wants out of the chicago org. because he's blocked from going to the majors with thome and konerko blocking first. he has BIG TIME POWER and is a good first baseman. i'm not down on votto but a kid like this would be a good fit if we don't move dunn to first or won't wait on votto.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    Griffey isn't bad, but something about him must hurt the team. They suck when he comes back
    Nonsense.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Leading league in hotness

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500

GOREDSGO32

I like Griffey as a person and player, but the salary is just hurting the team overall right now .... I can only imagine if we get Wilson, Milton, and Griffey off the books how much leeway we would have to make some big time signings ...

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32
    I like Griffey as a person and player, but the salary is just hurting the team overall right now .... I can only imagine if we get Wilson, Milton, and Griffey off the books how much leeway we would have to make some big time signings ...
    And just exactly who would they be? And who would you be willing to give up to get them? It takes more than just dollars.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Agreed, we have to GET people to sign here first, who wants to at this point?
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?