Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: To stay in hunt, Reds must trade Griffey

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: To stay in hunt, Reds must trade Griffey

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'm not sure why you dislike Lopez--he's either produced or tried to produce since he's been with the Reds. I'm not opposed to trading him, but I'd much prefer to have Lopez in my platoon than Kearns, all things being equal.

And that's fine that you wanna ship Kearns. I wanna ship Lopez b/c of his D or remind Brandon Phillips he came up in he Expos and Indians organizations as a SS, until Cleveland decided he was a 2B. I think Lopez's best position with the Reds is 2B. I also think Dunn's best positions with the Reds is 1B. While we're at it, I think Griffey's best position with the Reds is three fold: LF, DL, Traded.

Like I said, my dislike for Lopez is his lack of defensive ability, which is conversely why I have a small case of manlove for AK: defense.

I also think that teams would overvalue Lopez b/c of his production as a SS while not really paying attention that he has limited range. Kearns is an OF, and unfortunately, they are dime a dozen. Thankfully he produces for us, so get him hooked up to a loyal, local LTC and make him part of the future.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    And that's fine that you wanna ship Kearns. I wanna ship Lopez b/c of his D or remind Brandon Phillips he came up in he Expos and Indians organizations as a SS, until Cleveland decided he was a 2B. I think Lopez's best position with the Reds is 2B. I also think Dunn's best positions with the Reds is 1B. While we're at it, I think Griffey's best position with the Reds is three fold: LF, DL, Traded.

Like I said, my dislike for Lopez is his lack of defensive ability, which is conversely why I have a small case of manlove for AK: defense.

I also think that teams would overvalue Lopez b/c of his production as a SS while not really paying attention that he has limited range. Kearns is an OF, and unfortunately, they are dime a dozen. Thankfully he produces for us, so get him hooked up to a loyal, local LTC and make him part of the future.
    BP is a career .210 hitter. (no I am not exagerating). Shipping Felipe off to start BP would be the most stupid move of all time, and I like BP alot.

I think it would be a good idea to flip Felipe and BP, but wanting to trade him in favor of BP is nuts.

I am willing to sacrifice some D for the best offensive SS in the NL, but that is just me.
    Last edited by reds44; 05-15-2006 at 06:34 PM.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    BP is a career .210 hitter. (no I am not exagerating). Shipping Felipe off to start BP would be the most stupid move of all time, and I like BP alot.

I think it would be a good idea to flip Felipe and BP, but wanting to trade him in favor of BP is nuts.

I am willing to sacrifice some D for the best offensive SS in the NL, but that is just me.
    I don't generally disagree with you, but it's worth noting that going into last year, his age 25 season, Felipe Lopez had a major league BA of .234 -- we pause to insert the typical disclaimers about the worth of batting average -- in twice as many at-bats as Phillips had coming into this year.

In fact, Phillips and Lopez have eerily similar career tracks -- brought up too soon and too hyped and the big club lost patience when they didn't produce and/or didn't have a good attitude, bounced back and forth between Triple-A and the majors, didn't do much to regain their hot-prospect status, etc. (Lopez also had a broken ankle in there.) The difference is that Lopez finally had his bustout season last year, at age 25. This is Phillips' age-25 season. We'll see if he does the same. I don't think he has the offensive upside of Lopez but he has the talent and he seems to be trying to make the most out of the chance to resurrect his career.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Griffey for Garcia? It is begging to happen. Improves both clubs. White Sox still have the pitching to go with a potent lineup while the Reds upgrade their rotation, outfield defense and overall speed in the lineup.
    Can't see the White Sox dealing Garcia for Griffey. Garcia just racked up his sixth straight win, so he seems to be an integral part of their drive to reclaim a second straight pennant this season.

More likely, they would want to send us Jon Garland, who has a 6.75 ERA this season and 2-2 record to show for his $7 million salary.

Garland is an enigma. He did have a 3.50 ERA with an 18-10 record, three shutouts and 221 IP in 2005. And, he's only 26. So there's certainly a reasonable chance that he could be a dominant pitcher for us.

But he also just signed a three-year deal woth the Sox, boasting his salary to $10 million in '07 and $12 million in '08. So if he doesn't ever repeat his '05 peak, that's a mighty steep, risky contract to be carrying. Of course, the same can be said for Griffey's contract.

In Wayne We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21

get him hooked up to a loyal, local LTC and make him part of the future.
    Trading Lopez would be completely foolish. Not gonna happen. We're very fortunate to have him. Yes, he makes some foolish errors, but that should and hopefully will decrease. He's a very well-rounded player. I think he is the only offensive player on the that has a no-trade clause. He should be the cornerstone of the Reds for years to come. Phillips isn't a good enough hitter to replace him.

Switching positions is not a bad idea. Who knows if it would happen?

Trading Kearns would be idiotic. I can't imagine, even after a good start to the year, that his trade value is very high. Plus, like you've stated, he's great defensively which is a huge need for the Reds.

It hurts me to say this, but the Reds probably won't win with Griffey on the roster. Awesome hitter, but too fragile and maybe a bit of bad karma. It's strange how things change when he plays.
    > :lindner:

Turn Off Ads?