Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds need to bunt more often!!!!!!

Reds need to bunt more often!!!!!!

What is the deal with these players,are they afraid bunting might hurt their batting average?? The last two games we have been in a scoreless game or tied one to one,It would be a perfect time to drop down a bunt for a base hit to start off the inning.Now why they don't do it is beyond me but in those kind of games a bunt would be the perfect opertunity to drop a bunt down and start off an inning with a hit so the next guy could bunt you into scoring position.

This brings me to Griffey and Dunn!! these two guys had 2 or three chances to do the very same thing to start off an inning during the last two games.The infielders play both of them to pull the ball so why don't they drop a bunt down for a EASY basehit to start off the inning?? Is their ego way to big to do something like that b/c they are power hitters?? If so then the manager and coachs need to sit them down and tell them there might come a time that we need a base runner when the score is tied or we are losing by one run so that we can get you in scoring position and hopfully score.Don't get me wrong it just is'nt Griffey and Dunn its everybody.Freel and Lopez had just has many chances to do the very same thing and they did'nt even try.Those two I would exspect a bunt for a basehit try were they are so fast but they did'nt even try.Oh well hopfully they will start doing it!!!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds need to bunt more often!!!!!!

Chris Welsh has mentioned this during the past two games.

I've seen Jr bunt before, though not often... in fact, probably once.

I'm not against using this tactic with power hitters, but I sure as heck don't want them trying to do it just because it looks like a good situational ploy at a given point in time during the game.

Before they are asked to do this, I hope the manager is smart enough to make sure they know how to execute it or the team is just shooting itself in the foot.

Do you really think Griffey/Dunn/Kearns have received bunting instruction?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

If they were told to bunt they would.
    Go Gators!

Yes thats what im talking about!! I don't want to see them bunt every other time they go up there.I just want to see them bunt like when the score is tied in the late innings or we are losing by a run or two.Thats when I think they should bunt!!!

I agree with you about the hitting coach should get these guys in the batting cage and practice them about how to lay a perfect bunt down.

No I don't think that JR,Dunn,Kearns have even recieved bunting instructions and IMO I think that batters even if you are a power hitter should be one of the first things that you should really practice and know how to do b/c you might be asked to lay down a bunt in a game.

I don't wanna ever see Jr, Dunn, Kearns, or Felipe bunt.

Just my opinion.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    If they were told to bunt they would.

True Krono, some of the blame should be put on the manager as well b/c a player does what the manager tells him to do and if he does'nt tell them to bunt then its mostly his fault.We are talking about MLB players here and they should'nt have to be told when to bunt and when not to.When these guys go up there to bat in the late innings with the score tied they should automaticly think we need a base runner so I should bunt an catch them off guard.Right??

I would like to see Griffey and Dunn lay down the bunt and take the occasional "freebie" when the shift is put on.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I am very much a disciple of the Ted Williams school of hitting (not that I ever had the physical ability to follow Teddy Ballgame's instructions). For that reason, among others, I generally reject the non-stop criticism of Adam Dunn supposedly walking too much-Willams was criticized for the same supposed failing.
    However, on the issue of bunting, Ted Williams himself, slumping in the 1946 World Series, bunted for a hit. If Ted could do it, I would have no problem at all with Dunn or Junior laying down a bunt on occassion.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

A bunt would have *possibly* earned a baserunner. OTOH, a home run would have tied the game.

Dunn is the team's best HR hitter, so I'd rather have him swing away.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 05-15-2006 at 11:38 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Yeah, bunting is hard. It isn't as easy as saying "the shift is on. I'm gonna lay one down the third base line far enough left so the pitcher can't field it but not far left so it goes foul, blah, blah"

Bunting is not easy. Thats why pitchers spend so much time working on it.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I bunt would have *possibly* earned a baserunner. OTOH, a home run would have tied the game.

Dunn is the team's best HR hitter, so I'd rather have him swing away.
    What he said.

The last thing I want to see is a power hitter bunt. If the point is to get on base, then let them get on base the easiest way for them, instead of something more difficult. If Freel wants to try and beat out a bunt single, go for it. It makes no sense for Dunn to try it, because he's got other ways of getting on that he's much better at.

Dunn and Griffey have a better chance to get a walk in most instances than to lay one down.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Yeah, bunting is hard. It isn't as easy as saying "the shift is on. I'm gonna lay one down the third base line far enough left so the pitcher can't field it but not far left so it goes foul, blah, blah"

Bunting is not easy. Thats why pitchers spend so much time working on it.

Exactly.

Especially hard if you don't practice it.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

I'm not advocating that they make a habit of it, but I know if I were in the situation of having infields shift dramatically to the right, I would be working on having that bunt in my arsenal should the situation arise and the "team" need it. These guys are not chopped liver. They can get a bunt down if they work at it a little, and they have plenty of time to work at it. I think the real question is, "Do they want to work at it." Granted, they are not paid to be slap hitting bunt men, but having the ability to get a baserunner on in a situatiion when a game is on the line and they are flat out giving it to you should outweigh any perception that a player has of himself. I say be prepared to pull it off.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?