Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More trade advice help

Re: More trade advice help

I declined the Gomes / Jeter for Pedro, R. Johnson, Peralta trade. He sent me an email and told me he knew I'd decline it, he just wanted to try.

I told him that the Gomes / Escobar for Pedro / Kearns trade is about as far as I'd take it, if not, I'd stick with what I had. He said he'd get back to me later this week. He just traded Vlad to get Pedro and Kearns, so he wants to hang onto them for a little bit before he turns around and deals Pedro.

I don't know why I have this feeling like I have to get Pedro...maybe its the fact that I have Harden / Patterson on the DL and their returns keep getting pushed back coupled with the fact that the pitchers I have on my team collectively had their worst performances of the year last week. Their usually aren't too many "ace" pitchers made available for trade in our league, that could be another reason. People tend to hold onto really good pitchers. When he told me Pedro was available, I went into "must get him" stage. Pedro really would help me in W, ERA, K, and especially K/9. If I didn't have to give up more than Gomes to get him, I'd be fine with the deal. When he starts asking for me to throw in other players I don't want to move (Hafner, Martinez, Jeter, Holliday), it makes less sense for me.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Now that I have acquired Prince Fiedler, that makes Richie Sexson expendable. A guy in my league said that he might be interested in a trade of 2B/SS Felipe Lopez for Sexson. That would give me a replacement for Jeter if I wanted to move him in another trade. Even if I don't end up trading Jeter, which I really don't want to do, wouldn't this be a decent trade considering Felipe's SB potential and the fact that I don't really have a core SB guy, and the fact that Sexson is struggling so bad and doesn't seem to be turning the corner and it's mid-May?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Sexson for Lopez seems like a great deal and would free you up to move Jeter.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

With Fielder in place, no reason to pass on a Sexson for Lopez deal. I still wouldn't trade Jeter unless I was blown away by an offer. Would this guy have any interest in Hawpe as well? I'd be trying to sell high with him.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    With Fielder in place, no reason to pass on a Sexson for Lopez deal. I still wouldn't trade Jeter unless I was blown away by an offer. Would this guy have any interest in Hawpe as well? I'd be trying to sell high with him.
    No, I made a mistake by offering up Hawpe to about 6 different teams about 2weeks ago, so everybody knows I'm trying to sell him now. I've only gotten real low ball offers for him, like Jason Lane for Hawpe.

Seems like nobody wants to give me what I consider equal value for Hawpe, so at this point, I'm better off holding onto him and hoping he can keep up his pace at least a little while longer until more teams buy into him being "legit".

Still working to see if that other owner will do the Sexson for Felipe trade.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Couldn't work that Sexson for Felipe trade. He wanted me to throw in a closer with Sexson for JUST Felipe. Can't do that even though I can afford to deal a closer, that's just not a smart deal value wise. That's getting absolutely nothing out of Sexson. I should be able to get Felipe straight up for the closers he was asking for (Gordon / Papelbon / Ryan) if not more.

I have approached another owner about Sexson (his only 1B is Aubrey Huff). Asked him if he'd be interested in Sexson and Escobar for Brian Giles and Peavy. Not really too high on Giles, but he'd be on my bench anyway and I'd spot start him. He helps in H, R, BB, AVG, OBP. Peavy would be nice to have, though.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

You may need to sweeten that deal a little to get Giles and Peavy. I think Giles would fit in pretty well for your scoring setup
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    You may need to sweeten that deal a little to get Giles and Peavy. I think Giles would fit in pretty well for your scoring setup
    Yeah, if accepted as proposed it would definately be a good deal for me. The guy I sent the offer to rarely, if ever, accepts trades, so I'm not looking for it to be accepted no matter how I propose it.

He might do Sexson for Giles straight up, but I don't think that's a great deal for me. I'd be giving up probably 15 HR's or so and would probably be neutral in RBI. I'd lose SLG% and gain OBP. Don't want to do the deal unless Peavy is involved.

Not sure how I could sweeten the deal any. He doesn't really need offensive players. I might be able to throw a RP in.

Here are his pitchers:

SP Jo. Santana
    SP J. Peavy
    SP A. Pettitte
    SP J. Garland
    RP B. Lidge
    RP B. Wagner
    P E. Guardado
    P J. Weaver

He could probably use another closer with Lidge struggling and Guardado out of the picture. He also could use another SP with Weaver sucking like he does, and Garland struggling.

On offense he's pretty well off. He still has Jr on the DL and has to cut a player to make room for Junior:

C I. Rodríguez
    1B A. Huff
    2B A. Soriano
    3B G. Atkins
    SS É. Rentería
    OF C. Beltrán
    OF V. Wells
    OF B. Giles
    Util T. Glaus
    Util S. Rolen
    BN G. Anderson
    DL K. Griffey Jr.

I'm guessing he'll drop Garrett Anderson to activate Griffey. He won't deal Beltran, or Wells. I've asked him a million times.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

He said he'd think about:

Escobar, B.J. Ryan, and Sexson for Peavy and Carlos Beltran.

He's also considering Escobar, C. Ray, and Sexson for Peavy and Giles or Griffey.

I'd rather do the first, although, if I did either, I could pick up J.J. Putz, who's a free agent.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 05-16-2006 at 02:14 PM.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    He said he'd think about:

Escobar, B.J. Ryan, and Sexson for Peavy and Carlos Beltran.

He's also considering Escobar, C. Ray, and Sexson for Peavy and Giles or Griffey.

I'd rather do the first, although, if I did either, I could pick up J.J. Putz, who's a free agent.
    I'd do that first deal in a millisecond if the other guy goes for it. If you're hurting for saves later on in the season after dealing Ryan you can probably pick up a guy who will get you some down the stretch for a bad team on the waiver wire, which is what I usually do.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Ok, a guy in my league dropped SP Felix Hernandez. Should I drop Coco Crisp and pick him up and spot start him against weaker teams until Harden and Patterson come back? I don't know if I'll really need Coco. I've got a decent OF and Sexson as my bench player is ok with me, although I think typically you'd want the guy that hits for higher AVG to be your spot starter guy.

What do you guys think? Take a chance, drop Coco and pick up Hernandez to see if he turns it around? If he does, I'd be in real good shape at SP.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I have Felix.. currently he's riding the pine with RJ.. I also have Prior on the DL

I'm hating it.

From BP

# So now the party line is that Felix Hernandez is overstriding. Hernandez got the win, but Lookout Landing does a fine job showing why this adjustment wasn’t much of an improvement. I took a look at video on Hernandez and don’t see his stride as the problem. His balance--key on the head--is still abysmal and his delivery is inconsistent, leading to less movement on his fastball. Right now, Hernandez is a mess, but he’s a healthy and ineffective mess. That’s not what the Mariners were expecting.

The Red Sox inch closer to getting their outfield back to where they want it. Coco Crisp is scheduled to take batting practice on Monday and could be a few days away from a rehab assignment. Crisp has had some setbacks in his rehab unrelated to the finger, so once his stamina is back, he should come pretty quickly. I expect him back in the lineup before May ends. The Red Sox also should get Gabe Kapler back after rehabbing a torn Achilles. Kapler is a good spare part, but if he loses anything from the injury, he’ll be less valuable and his popularity and history with the team could quickly become a negative. The Red Sox will get a long look at him at Pawtucket, where David Wells ran his mouth and made it through his rehab outing. Wells had no problem with either his knee or the opposition at Triple-A, and should replace Lenny DiNardo in the rotation next time around.

The Cubs waited a long time for Kerry Wood and he’s already sore again. Wood insists this is normal post-start soreness exacerbated by the fact that he’s still working himself into shape, but the team panicked and held him out of a side session. A decision will be made on Monday if his scheduled Tuesday start will be pushed back. I don’t belive this is serious or that Wood will miss his start. Mark Prior, on the other hand, is more worrisome. He’s still missing his normal velocity in Arizona, making some wonder how an illness could continue to sap his strength. A shoulder injury would be an easier explanation, though sources with the team continue to insist there’s no structural problem.

Well, Felix is healthy at least. I'm sure they'll continue to tinker his delivery until he gets it right. I probably will be getting Harden back around the beginning of June and Patterson back (hopefully) about 2 weeks after that. Has anyone ever been on the DL longer for forearm tendonitis that was initially listed as a day to day thing? Gawd. Anyway, with my offense nicely producing, I don't know that all need Coco as much as I need another really good SP.

R H HR RBI SB BB AVG OBP SLG OPS
    C V. Martínez
    1B P. Fielder
    2B C. Utley
    3B M. Lowell
    SS D. Jeter
    OF J. Bay
    OF J. Gomes
    OF M. Holliday
    Util B. Hawpe
    Util T. Hafner
    BN R. Sexson
    BN C. Crisp

Pitching
    IP W L SV R HR BB K ERA K/9
    SP B. Myers
    SP K. Escobar
    SP D. Haren
    SP C. Hamels
    RP J. Papelbon
    RP T. Gordon
    P B. Ryan
    P C. Ray
    DL J. Patterson
    DL R. Harden

Ideally, I'd like to have 1 offensive bench player and one pitcher on the bench. I'd like to trade a RP and Sexson or Crisp for either a really good starter or a really good hitter. Can't find any takers on any of those deals.

As for my pitchers, they're struggling to get wins. I think it's just a luck thing. Myers and Escobar have pitched pretty well for the most part, but can't get any W's to show for it. Haren has been great as of late, he might be a keeper even after Harden and Patterson come back. Which leaves Hamels. I love his impact in K and K/9, but he also struggles to get wins. I'm not sure if I should try and deal him, or if I should just drop him when Harden and Patterson come back. It'd be easier to keep some of these pitchers if I didn't have 4 RP's, but I don't want to just drop any of them, they're all good. Can't find any takers for any of them, though.

what to do, what to do...
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Teams in my league that need saves have the following players.

Who should I target in return for Sexson / Ray or Crisp / Ray

SP Freddy Garcia
    SP Chris Capuano
    SS Jose Reyes
    SP Francisco Liriano (doubtful he'd trade him)
    1B Jason Giambi
    OF Grady Sizemore
    OF Jermaine Dye
    OF Austin Kearns

Which of the above do you think would be a realistic return for that package I'm offering, and which player would help my team the most?
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'd look to get Capuano, Sizemore, and/or Liriano.

Garcia will get quite a few wins as well since he is playing for the White Sox.
    Matta = Really good

Turn Off Ads?