Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jason Schmidt?

Jason Schmidt?

I've read in a couple of places that the Giants have just cut off negotiations with Jason Schmidt, and there is speculation that he will now be available at the trade deadline. I can't think of a team more in need of an influx of young talent than the Giants. Do you think Kriv would pull off a half-season rental type deal if the Reds are still in it at the end of July? I could see him packaging Homer or Travis Wood with Denorfia and Votto in order to pull this off. What do you all think? I think Schmidt is exactly the type of veteran power pitcher that would slot in nicely at the front of our rotation.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jason Schmidt?

I wouldn't give up that much for a half season of Schmidt, at his age I think he's going to get worse not better.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye
    I've read in a couple of places that the Giants have just cut off negotiations with Jason Schmidt, and there is speculation that he will now be available at the trade deadline. I can't think of a team more in need of an influx of young talent than the Giants. Do you think Kriv would pull off a half-season rental type deal if the Reds are still in it at the end of July? I could see him packaging Homer or Travis Wood with Denorfia and Votto in order to pull this off. What do you all think? I think Schmidt is exactly the type of veteran power pitcher that would slot in nicely at the front of our rotation.
    Nope I'd run the other way Schidt's not reliable anymore and the last thing the Reds should do is give away pitching, for a rental player.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I wouldn't give up that much for a half season of Schmidt, at his age I think he's going to get worse not better.
    Totally agree. He was awful last year and has a history of arm problems. Wood/Homer only go if we get someone with youth on their side.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    Totally agree. He was awful last year and has a history of arm problems. Wood/Homer only go if we get someone with youth on their side.
    Awful in '05?

Then sign me up then for a big scoop of awful.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/schmija01.shtml

He was so dominating in the 02-04 span that anything would pale in comparison.

But for giggles - his 172IP, 160H, 84ER, 85BB, 165K, 4.40ERA, 1.42WHIP

isn't far off the charts from Aaron Harang's 2005 - which would have made him the Reds 2nd best pitcher last year. Which is a bit being like the tall guy at the midget fair, but it's something nonetheless.

And what is with the durability questions?

The guy has averaged 198IP the last four years.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Awful in '05?

isn't far off the charts from Aaron Harang's 2005 - which would have made him the Reds 2nd best pitcher last year. Which is a bit being like the tall guy at the midget fair, but it's something nonetheless.

Awful was definately a bit of a stretch lol
    However, even if he can be the second best pitcher on the REDS, he is in no way worth one of our best pitching prospects for half a year.

I dont think you were saying he would be worth it anyway.

PS When are the Reds gonna start seeing guys in kyaks in the Ohio River waiting for a Dunn HR?????
    Someone get me a wet suit and i'll be the first

Awful in '05?

When your ERA jumps 2 full runs in two years and your name is mentioned in steroid rumors, I'll pass.

Awful in '05?

Exactly what I was thinking. If he is available and the Giants don't want too much, I wouldn't mind having him for a half season, he likely will be a little more motivated pitching for his next contract as well.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

No way in hell the name Homer Bailey is involved.

If the Giants would do it for less, then I am all for it. That's not happening, I don't think.

Schmidt struggled last season because his velocity was down from opening day. This year, he has beein hitting 96-97 lagain ate in games. I read earlier today he has an era of 1.16 in his last three starts. If he can still do that after the all star break, he would make a tremendous addition to a contending club. The Giants have never been a team to rebuild with young players, however. I doubt they trade him in a weak NL West, even if they can't work something out on a contract extension.

Schmidt's numbers this season are right in line with his 2004 season. His K/9 is lower overall, but has been increasing in the past few weeks:

Code:
    IP   H  R  ER HR BB  K  ERA WHIP BAA 
    59.0 41 21 21  6 21 42 3.20 1.05 .199
    Schmidt would be a fantastic acquisition. He had a great spring, but started the season in a dead-arm period. His velocity returned after three starts, and now he's pretty much an ace again.

If the Reds are in contention at the All-Star break, I'd give up Bailey for him if the Giants agree to a 48-hour window for contract negotiations.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 05-16-2006 at 09:42 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I probably wouldn't give up Bailey, but I would love to get ahold of Schmidt for prospects, especially if I could sign him to a 2-3 year extension. I would love at this point to run out a rotation of Schmidt, Arroyo, Harang, Ramirez and Claussen.

Schmidt isn't going anywhere. The Giants will contend the whole year in that weak NL West. If anything, it will be Weathers going to San Fran lol.

Bring this back up next fall if you want to overpay a soon to be 34 year old pitcher.

Giving up a prospect for a frontline starter who could potentially lead you to the playoffs for the first time in a decade is not overpaying.

If the Reds are in the hunt, I'd be shopping Bailey.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye
    Well... considering it is just May and we have a couple of months to see how things work out for this team. If we are on the bubble of making the playoffs, I just hope they don't pull a leather pants. Trade away a young prospect for a 30 something year old pitcher on the downside of his career. BJ Ryan used to be a Red. Sigh.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Turn Off Ads?