Turn Off Ads?

Thread: World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party is now officially on the wagon...

World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party is now officially on the wagon...

As an esteemed graduate of the University of Florida, I can safely say that this idea will go over like a lead balloon in Hogtown....

Schools end use of slogan over drinking woes
    / Associated Press
    Posted: 3 minutes ago

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Florida and Georgia no longer want to be known for throwing the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.

The annual football game in Jacksonville between the Southeastern Conference rivals has been called the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party by fans and the media since the 1950s. But the deaths of two students in the past two years, and an emphasis on responsible alcohol use, has prompted the universities to ask television networks to stop using the moniker.
    CBS Sports, ESPN and Jefferson Pilot were contacted by SEC commissioner Mike Slive in January asking them to consider dropping the use of the slogan during the Oct. 28 game.

"We would appreciate any initiatives you might take to avoid using the cocktail party reference. This is a great college football game which highlights a traditional rivalry full of the passion of football in the southeast. Our hope is to keep the focus on the game," Slive wrote in a letter to Mike Aresco, vice president of programming for CBS Sports.

Leslie Anne Wade, vice president of communications for CBS Sports, said Aresco has had informal conversations with Slive about the issue, but said the network has not been contacted by either school. She doesn't believe the network has used the phrase very often, if at all.

"It's not part of the focus of CBS coverage. CBS coverage is about the rivalry and the competitive matchup of these two schools," she said.

ESPN said it might use the phrase in certain contexts.

"We are going to consider being consistent with their request," said Mike Humes, a spokesman for ESPN.

Officials with Jefferson Pilot, which is now called Lincoln Financial Media after a recent merger and sponsors regional television coverage of SEC games, did not return a call seeking comment.

Chuck Toney, a spokesman for Georgia, said university president Michael Adams had contacted the SEC about the issue.

"We don't like the phrase. We don't use the phrase. We would prefer that nobody use the phrase," Toney said Tuesday.

In each of the past two games, Florida students have died.

After last fall's game, Thomas Oliver Brown, 23, was beaten to death in downtown Jacksonville. The year before, 19-year-old UF student David Ferguson died after apparently falling from the top of a parking garage.

Toney and Greg McGarity, UF's senior associated athletic director, said both schools are concerned about alcohol abuse and the slogan is in conflict with the message the universities are trying to send to their students.

"We are not going to be able to prevent that tag from being used, but is our responsibility to do everything we can to educate," McGarity said. "We are aware of the problems in the past and will do everything we can to stop things from happening in the future."

According to The Florida Times-Union newspaper in Jacksonville, its former sports editor Bill Kastelz first used the phrase in a 1950s column, when he wrote about a drunken fan who stumbled up to a uniformed police officer and offered him a drink.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party is now officially on the wagon...

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    As an esteemed graduate of the University of Florida, I can safely say that this idea will go over like a lead balloon in Hogtown....
    Drinking is as much a part of college life as textbooks and tuition fees. The sooner universities just accept it and encourage responsible drinking the better for all involved.

This is just silly. If the nickname of the game was "The World's Largest Cocaine Bender" maybe they'd have a point...but it's a cocktail party -- last I checked, that was still classy.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Yay!

Call it whatever you want. It will be what it always has been.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

As a UGA junior, I like that President Adams brought this to the attention of CBS. It's a huge party--yes. But I'd rather the national attention be put on the game, not the drunkeness.
    Here's to another record-breaking season from Adam Dunn ...another 40 homeruns (all coming with nothing on the line) and 200 Ks! We Want King Jay!!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Drinking is as much a part of college life as textbooks and tuition fees. The sooner universities just accept it and encourage responsible drinking the better for all involved.
    I probably felt that way when I was younger. Now that I have worked for a university and can count on 1 hand the number of years until I have a kid in college, I have a different view.

I can sympathize greatly with the pain those parents of the students who died must have felt. I would prefer that colleges and universities enforce the laws on drinking and put stiff penalties on those who break it.

Teaching college students to drink responsibly is fine. Condoning and even encouraging it is not fine.

We need more rules!!!

Everyday I wake up and say to myself, "y'know... there should be a rule against that."

/sarcasm

I commend President Adams on his goal.

I guess next is for him to lobby the SEC to move the Sugar Bowl out of a city known as The Big Easy and famous for Bourbon Street?

Hopefully President Adams will have more success in this endeavor than his school's football team has recently experienced in the football game that seems to be the source of the controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    I guess next is for him to lobby the SEC to move the Sugar Bowl out of a city known as The Big Easy and famous for Bourbon Street?
    And moved permanently to the Georgia Dome
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny-Distefano
    We need more rules!!!

Everyday I wake up and say to myself, "y'know... there should be a rule against that."

/sarcasm
    Maybe you'd prefer schools just hand over underage drinkers to the police. Let 'em get booked and sober up in a jail cell?

That would obviate the need to create any new rules and I can actually see some wisdom in enforcing the laws we have.

I imagine the parents of the kids who died in Jacksonville could live with that solution.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Drinking is as much a part of college life as textbooks and tuition fees.
    What's a textbook?
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 05-20-2006 at 06:44 PM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Maybe you'd prefer schools just hand over underage drinkers to the police. Let 'em get booked and sober up in a jail cell?

That would obviate the need to create any new rules and I can actually see some wisdom in enforcing the laws we have.

I imagine the parents of the kids who died in Jacksonville could live with that solution.
    The problem is that in no way is there a causal connection between the traditional name of a big-time college football game and the drinking deaths of students. They could call the Georgia/Florida matchup the "Playskool See 'n Spell Classic" and there would still be binge drinking occuring outside the stadium.

This is yet another example of people attacking everything but the problem and then patting themselves on the back for how clever they are.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

The problem is that in no way is there a causal connection between the traditional name of a big-time college football game and the drinking deaths of students. They could call the Georgia/Florida matchup the "Playskool See 'n Spell Classic" and there would still be binge drinking occuring outside the stadium.

This is yet another example of people attacking everything but the problem and then patting themselves on the back for how clever they are.
    This is about symbolism. Curbing drinking at "The World's Largest Cocktail Party" would seem to the world like a fool's errand. I thought the story said the point of getting rid of media mention of the nickname was to keep it from interfering with the respective schools' efforts at curbing alcohol abuse at the event?

"Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    This is about symbolism. Curbing drinking at "The World's Largest Cocktail Party" would seem to the world like a fool's errand. I thought the story said the point of getting rid of media mention of the nickname was to keep it from interfering with the respective schools' efforts at curbing alcohol abuse at the event?
    They're not calling a spade a spade, though. If they did, it'd be known as "Thousands of college students get drunk and high, then go watch football." Or, as it's known in the nation's universities, "Saturday".

I'm hoping they change the name to something completely sanitized and ridiculous. Something like, "The World's Largest Box Social" would be perfect.

Turn Off Ads?