Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Could this be a reason why our offense is struggling?

Could this be a reason why our offense is struggling?

Stop me if you've heard this one

PITTSBURGH -- It's raining. The tarp's on the field. Which would mean BP in the cages.
    Seriously with all the rain that has been happening could this be one of the reasons for out entire offense struggling?

It just seems odd an offense this good, has been this bad lately.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Could this be a reason why our offense is struggling?

The Reds offense is struggling because these 2 men: :freel: :dunn: are struggling badly and have for awhile in many respects. Lopez and Kearns are hitting well, EE has leveled off but not overly slumping. Having Freel and Dunn struggle this bad has taken the wind out of the unit. Griffey doing a 05 redux or Phillips starting a new streak could pull them out of it, but it won't be easy if those 2 guys continue to slump.

I don't think the weather is helping that's for sure. There was a big article in the NY Times on Sunday about how this April was the hottest since 1895 (national averages I think) and that there was a feeling around baseball that the weather is one the reason why there was so much offense this April all around baseball.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

saboforthird

They need to take more pitches. Get into the opponents' bullpen.

In Wayne We Trust

It could be the cold weather, not the rain. I'm sure many of you heard what Chris Welsh said during Saturday's game (I think it was Saturday). He said the Reds record is considerabley better when the temperature is above 60 degrees....somewhere around 10-12 games over .500 (I'm sure some of you guys know the exact record, I don't). And when the temp. is below 60 degrees the Reds are a handful of games below .500. Welsh believes this is a warm weather team and the records back him up. The ball certainly doesn't carry as far in cold weather. So hopefully the weather will warm up quickly.
    > :lindner:

Quote Originally Posted by kyle1976
    It could be the cold weather, not the rain. I'm sure many of you heard what Chris Welsh said during Saturday's game (I think it was Saturday). He said the Reds record is considerabley better when the temperature is above 60 degrees....somewhere around 10-12 games over .500 (I'm sure some of you guys know the exact record, I don't). And when the temp. is below 60 degrees the Reds are a handful of games below .500. Welsh believes this is a warm weather team and the records back him up. The ball certainly doesn't carry as far in cold weather. So hopefully the weather will warm up quickly.

I think in Warmer weather the reds win the game Sudnay Vs. Philly THREE time over. Once from Griffey's warning track shot, once from FeLo's, and once form Kearns' ( I think it was Kearns).

So to recap, not only did we get a loss, but we should have had THREE, count them, THREE wins....

In Wayne We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by RedWilly
    I think in Warmer weather the reds win the game Sudnay Vs. Philly THREE time over. Once from Griffey's warning track shot, once from FeLo's, and once form Kearns' ( I think it was Kearns).

So to recap, not only did we get a loss, but we should have had THREE, count them, THREE wins....
    What about the rocket that Valentine hit too? If it was 3 degrees warmer we would've won Sunday's game 8-1. :
    > :lindner:

I was thinking this too. Rainy cold weather is the worst to play in. Next to snow of course Something about rain and cold weather it just chills you to the core. Not to mention hitting in the batting cages is worlds diffferent than hitting on the field. Totally different environment. Luckily for the Reds the weather will turn up! Hopefully so will the bats!

Stat geek...and proud

I was thinking the exact same thing after the game Sunday, that a team based on power would struggle a little bit in rougher weather.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle1976
    Could we possibly put the balls in a humidor on crappy days?
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

I don't know what it's been like for the past couple weeks for other teams, but the Reds have been soaked more often than not.

05-17-2006

Rain follows Reds
    By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

PITTSBURGH - Reports on the Weather Channel showed rivers engorged by days of non-stop rain running well above normal levels in New England.

The Allegheny River, which runs behind the right-field wall at PNC Park, looked fine, but the skies weren't dry. Another afternoon of rain, another Reds batting practice canceled.

"It must be raining everywhere in America right now," said Austin Kearns.

Following a soggy homestand and a washed-out exhibition game in Cooperstown, N.Y., on Monday, the Reds certainly have a dark cloud over them at the moment.

Though the 63-minute rain delay that preceded Tuesday's game was the first time weather has officially kept them off the field in the last week, the effects have been felt. The Reds haven't taken regular batting practice since last Wednesday. Players still get their swings in thanks to indoor batting cages, but it's not quite the same.

"It's killing me," said manager Jerry Narron. "I don't know what our record was in those 16 straight games that we played (it was 11-5, from April 11-26), but it'd be nice to get back in a groove where we're playing every day and get on a regular routine, I'll tell you that. The players might not feel that way, but I'd sure like to see it."

Some of them actually do feel that way. While everyone is happy for a break from the monotony of BP after a week of the usual routine, a week out of it has some players restless.

"It's nice to get a day here and there where you can just hit in the cage," said Kearns. "But (missing so many) kind of does take you out of the routine as far as just getting out there and just running around some and getting loose. ... It would be nice to get some better weather and be outside."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....605170321/1027
    May 17, 2006

Reds notebook
    Weather hampers batting practice; Team has had to use indoor cages for a week now
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

PITTSBURGH - The surest formula for shaking a slump is extra batting practice.

But given the rain cloud that has been settled over the eastern half of the country for a week, the Reds haven't been able to take any batting practice on the field - much less extra work - for a solid week.

They were stuck inside again Tuesday. It poured before the start of the series opener against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

"It's killing me," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "I don't know about everybody else. I don't know what our record was in those 16 straight games we played, but it would be nice to get back in a regular routine and get in a groove. I know that."

The Reds went 11-5 from April 11 to May 7 when they played 16 straight days without a break - and without one batting practice being canceled.

Tuesday's BP was the sixth straight washed out.

"That's part of what we do," Narron said. "We're doing the very best we can under difficult circumstances."

The Reds, of course, can hit in the cages. But the batting practice routine is impossible to replicate indoors.

"I miss being outside," Narron said. "We've been sitting inside until 30 minutes before game time. It stops raining, we play and then it starts raining 5 minutes after the game."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...605170378/1071
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?