Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Listened to the Goober on the way home

Listened to the Goober on the way home

... something I rarely do. They(goob and Daugherty) were discussing the Reds the Reds and Daugherty pointed out the Reds problems were pitching and defense. Goob then asked Paul D if he was one who was happy with the Dunn is what is he is or is frustrated by a lack of desire to improve. Paul was somewhat non-commital while Goob was clearly POed by Dunn's perceived lack of work ethic. Then they spent the next five bashing Dunn (poor defense, bad 2 strike approach, lack of desire). This was mainly the Goob as Daugherty was content to point out that Dunn was laid back in general and seemed to be content with his current skill level.

Silly me I thought they were going to discuss how to fix the pitching or the defense.

I just chuckle when I hear this stuff because it becomes obvious that there are some that want to do nothing more than focus on something that is clearly not the problem, a true red herring.

I don't doubt that Dunn is laid back guy but focusing on a personal peeve instead of how to fix the real problem is just wasted time.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Listened to the Goober on the way home

And here it goes again.................
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    And here it goes again.................
    I like to watch movies over and over until I learn the lines.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

In Wayne We Trust

Dunn isn't the problem, but he sure isn't improving either. With his talent, he could be one of the best ever. I can't really comment on his work ethic because I've never seen him work out, BUT he hasn't improved since coming to the majors. In fact, I think he's worse. Alot worse. Watching him hit is like watching someone try to eat soup with chopsticks.
    > :lindner:

Quote Originally Posted by kyle1976
    Dunn isn't the problem, but he sure isn't improving either. With his talent, he could be one of the best ever. I can't really comment on his work ethic because I've never seen him work out, BUT he hasn't improved since coming to the majors. In fact, I think he's worse. Alot worse. Watching him hit is like watching someone try to eat soup with chopsticks.
    It's a slump, dude. They happen to everyone not named Pujols. I wish everyone would calm down, this team was never a contender to begin with.

Daughtery's premise was that Dunn would never reach his potential. I think this is the problem Marty ultimately has with him also.

Potential apparently means a significantly higher BA, better defense, and a few more HR's and RBI's every year (and of course hitting with RISP and not moving runners over by K'ing - whatever).

He's slumping now and has been. It happens.

If he were as good as Doc and Marty and others want/think he can be, he'd be the next Ruth/Aaron/Bonds/Mantle for God's sakes.

I'm not sure he's "that" good - just need to get over it.

In Wayne We Trust

Getting a runner home from third with less than 2 outs should have nothing to do with slumping or not. Getting a runner over to third with no one out should have anything to do with a slump. Catching a flyball should have nothing to do with a slump. It's called baseball. Dunn cannot perform the most basic team first tasks. It's pitiful.
    > :lindner:

Blah, Blah, Blah......

Nothing worse than a witch hunt

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Blah, Blah, Blah......

Nothing worse than a witch hunt

I know you are frustrated with some posters here, but this wasn't necessary.

That said, we've got 40,000 other "What has Dunn done for me lately" threads active right now. There's no reason for this thread to exist.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?