Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Keeper League: Which 8 players would you keep for next year?

Keeper League: Which 8 players would you keep for next year?

I know it is still early, but it's something to think about. I'm in a 12 team keeper league, and I can protect 8 players on my roster at the end of the year. Here is how my team stands now:

C Josh Willingham
    1B Todd Helton
    2B Brandon Phillips
    3B Joe Crede
    SS Felipe Lopez
    IF Albert Pujols
    IF Prince Fielder
    LF Alfonso Soriano
    CF Ken Griffey Jr.
    RF Alex Rios
    OF Austin Kearns
    UTIL Brad Hawpe
    BN Ryan Zimmerman
    BN Curtis Granderson

SP Kris Benson
    SP Roy Oswalt
    SP Aaron Harang
    SP Mike Maroth
    SP Cole Hamels
    RP Fernando Rodney
    RP Tim Worrell
    RP Todd Coffey
    P Todd Jones
    P Brett Myers
    BN Brett Tomko
    DL Ben Sheets
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keeper League: Which 8 players would you keep for next year?

Pujols
    Fielder
    Oswalt
    Lopez
    Willimgham
    Myers
    Helton
    Hamels

Pujols
    Hamels
    Sheets
    Oswalt
    Soriano
    Lopez
    Fielder
    Rios, Helton, or Myers

Albert Pujols
    Todd Helton
    Alfonso Soriano
    Roy Oswalt
    Ben Sheets
    Felipe Lopez
    Prince Fielder
    Brett Myers, Alex Rios, or Cole Hamels

I couldnt decide on the last spot, but you should atleast keep: Pujols, Helton, Soriano, Oswalt and Sheets.... Sheets is a risk to have because of health problems, but when he does pitch he usually pitches good.

Myers is a toss up, hes been pitching good but I looked and seen that he gave up 31 homeruns last year.

I would probably keep Hamels over Myers. I just picked up Hamels off of the waiver wire with the 12th waiver priority. Everyone else in the league must have been sleeping. Pujols is a given.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Pujols
    Lopez
    Helton
    Fielder
    Oswalt
    Soriano
    Sheets
    Myers

Depending on how the rest of the year goes Hamels, Willingham, Rios, and Hawpe are all possibilities
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Pujols
    Fielder
    Oswalt
    Lopez
    Willimgham
    Myers
    Helton
    Hamels

Lopez, Fielder, Pujols, Oswalt, Soriano and Myers are locks.

Willingham is out b/c he loses C eligibility next year.

I think Rios is #7, he is really coming into his own. Looking at a consistent 25-25.

#8 is between Hawpe and Hamels. It depends on how long you can keep them for and how they finish the year.

I agree w/ edabbs44 on Willingham. He's valuable as a catcher; as an OF, he's middle-of-the-pack.

LOCKS:
    Oswalt
    Sheets
    Myers
    Pujols
    Lopez
    Helton
    Soriano

After that, I'd choose one of the following based on how they perform over the rest of this season:

Hawpe, Fielder, Hamels, Rios, Crede

I like Hawpe better than Rios.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Well lets start w/ the locks baring any major circumstances:

Pujols
    Oswalt

So that leaves 6 guys. Now lets look at the guys that will most likely be locks by the end of the season based upon history/expected progression:

FeLo
    Ben Sheets (mostly dependent upon Injury)
    Brett Meyers

So now were down to 3 slots to protect. Most of this will depend on how players do this year, and where you expect them to be drafted. I'm guessing in a keeper league (I've never been in one) your young guys that break out this year (possible Kearns, Fielder, Hammels) will likely go ahead of older guys w/ longer track records like Helton in a draft.

If Coffey is eventually converted into the Closer's role, he might become one to consider. It doesn't appear that you many top end closers, and I'm guessing that the top ones are usually locked up. If he doesn't move into the closers role for much time this year, he would certainly be one to look to draft a little earlier than expected next year if he's still on a path to Close for the Reds.

If Willingham losses his Catcher tag, then you can drop him.

Soriano is probably a near lock, however probably much better if he has a 2nd base tag in addition to the OF tag.

Kearns, Granderson, Rios, and Fielder could all break out in a big way and be considered locks by the time the year is up.

How are keepers handled? Draft or Auction?

If this is an auction league or if you lose a draft pick based on draft spot, then you keep based on value relative to cost. If it's a draft where everybody simply loses their first 8 picks and you go from there, you just want best talent. I'll assume it's the latter and say:

Helton
    Lopez
    Pujols
    Fielder
    Soriano
    Oswalt
    Sheets
    Hamels or Myers (whoever performs better)

Pitching is just so unpredictable relative to hitters.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?