Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pinch-Hitting By Committee

Pinch-Hitting By Committee

It bothered me when the Reds let Cruz go this spring -- not only because he was a classy player, but also a consistently productive pinch-hitter.

Now, two months later, I'm relieved to report. We haven't suffered an appreciable drop-off in the caliber of of our pinch-hitting. To date, we have 18 hits in 54 PH at bats, for a batting average of .333. Our pinch-hitters have scored 11 runs, collected 8 RBI and drawn 10 walks. So, the OBP of our pinch-hitters is a robust .438.

That said, the nature of the beast has changed. We no longer have a designated pinch-hitter like Cruz. We have spread out the duties and let 14 players pinch-hit, everyone but Dunn, Larue and Kearns.

What's more, it's the kids who have really come through for us, not so much the vets -- Aurilia, Valentin, McCracken and Womack -- given a chance to fill Cruz's shoes. Those vets are a combined 6 for 31 in pinch-hitting duties (representing a comparatively weak batting average of .193) with 4 runs and 4 RBI to show for their efforts.

Who picked up the slack? Denorfia (3 for 4, with 2 runs), Olmedo (2 for 6, with 1 RBI and 1 run), D. Ross (2 for 2, with 2 RBI and 2 runs), Phillips (2 for 3 with a run), Encarnacion (1 for 1 with an RBI), and Lopez (1 for 1 with a run and an RBI).

This is such a small sample size, I'm reluctant to draw any grandiose conclusions from it. But I do think the trends are encouraging. It's quite obvious. Our minor league system might not be flush from top to bottom, but we do have some promising, young talent in the fold, truly eager to prove themselves.

If push comes to shove, I wouldn't hesitate to give these kids a fair tryout or to adopt a hardnosed, bueno-bye approach (a la Womack) with underperforming vets.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pinch-Hitting By Committee

By the way, here are the raw PH stats so far this season, by player:

Valentin, 3-13, 1 RBI, 2 runs, 1 BB, .231 average
    McCracken, 3-11, 2 RBI, 2 runs, 1 HR, 1 BB, .273 average
    Olmedo, 2-6, 1 RBI, 1 run, 1 BB, .333 average
    Denorfia, 3-4, 2 runs, 1 2B, .750 average
    Aurilia, 0-4, 1 RBI, .000 average
    Phillips, 2-3, 1 run, 1 2B, .667 average
    Abad, 0-3, 2 BB, .000 average
    Womack, 0-3, 1 BB, .000 average
    D. Ross, 2-2, 2 RBI, 2 runs, 1 HR, 1 BB, 1.000 average
    Lopez, 1-1, 1 RBI, 1 run, 1.000 average
    Encarnacion, 1-1, 1 RBI, 1.000 average
    Griffey, 1-1, 1.000 average
    Freel, 0-1, 1 run, 2 BB, .000 average
    Hatteberg, 0-1, 1 run, 1 BB, .000 average

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

There are only 25 roster spots. 12 used by pitchers. Doesn't make sense to carry a guy just to pinch hit.
    Spread it around and play the matchups. You should get better results, IMO.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

That's one reason I don't mind the three catchers. Javy gives some versatility (even though he's not hitting well at the moment) and Ross is also a solid PH option.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?