Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Narron Holds Team Meeting

Narron Holds Team Meeting

Marc reports on his blog:

Postgame meeting

PITTSBURGH -- Jerry Narron spent several minutes after the game addressing the team. His summary of his thoughts:

"It’s been a difficult week," said Narron. "I think mentally when you just sit around and you don’t know if you’re going to play or the game’s going to get started on time or whatever, we really need to make sure we’re mentally prepared and locked in early in the game. I think that’s something we can do a little better at.

"But I believe in these guys. I know we’ve gotten off to a better start than anybody ever expected, and I think a lot of people expect us to fall off the face on the earth. But I believe these guys are going to keep grinding and battling and at some point we’re going to come out of this thing."

The pep-talk was well-received by the players.

"The message was not to panic," said Adam Dunn. "I thought it was an outstanding meeting. There was no yelling, no screaming, just got to the point. It was good that he kind of reassured everything that we believe. I’m not a big meeting guy, but that was a good one."

Added Aaron Harang:

"It’s a definite grind we’ve had the last week and a half, where it’s been like this every single day. I don’t know if it’s just wearing on everybody, but I think we’re going to be fine. We’ll come back from this, and I don’t think too many of the guys are worried about it. Everybody feels confident in what we have on this team and that we can win. We’ve just got to get that groove rolling again and go with it."
    I know some folks dislike Jerry Narron, but he's growing on me (his voice notwithstanding). I like his temperment and his handling of this team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Narron Holds Team Meeting

Sounds like some positive things came out of that room. Hopefully the turn-around starts tonight!
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

For the record, both teams have to deal with the weather. Perhaps the Reds could nut up and win the occasional cold weather rainy game...

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    For the record, both teams have to deal with the weather. Perhaps the Reds could nut up and win the occasional cold weather rainy game...
    To defend the fellas a little, the Reds have been in this dreary, rainy weather for about a week now. No or little BP, overcast etc etc etc. You know what all the psychologists say about people who live in rainy communities all the time.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz

I know some folks dislike Jerry Narron, but he's growing on me (his voice notwithstanding). I like his temperment and his handling of this team.
    I'm starting to like Narron more as well.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I liked the idea of a team meeting, but it seems like he was finding excuses to tell them everything's OK. What about some head games like "Ok, guys, are we for real or not? Now's when we'll see if things have indeed changed around here or if a lot of folks not coming to the games are right--same old Reds."

Just a thought.
    Last edited by traderumor; 05-17-2006 at 11:36 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Unfortunately pep talks don't win ball games.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Unfortunately pep talks don't win ball games.
    Fred Hutchinson would disagree.

Some people aren't satisfied, no matter what.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

This is what Narron brings though IMO. He is a good club house guy and that can really help.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Fred Hutchinson would disagree.
    Fred had an affinity for the light bulbs in the hallway leading to the Reds clubhouse in Crosley Field. Seems they couldn't keep them in the light sockets when the Reds were losing.

Even though he could be a bear at times, most all the players loved Hutch and his style.

I haven't made my mind up on Narron yet, but he is growing on me.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Fred had an affinity for the light bulbs in the hallway leading to the Reds clubhouse in Crosley Field. Seems they couldn't keep them in the light sockets when the Reds were losing.
    Apparently he also had the problem of drinking too much during slumps, Pete Whisenant was reaquired by the Reds in 1961 because he was said to be Hutch's guardian during these bouts of depression.

BTW all the football fans out there who approach each game like it's a weekly football game should appreciate a team meeting and a talking too... it's very footballesque.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Apparently he also had the problem of drinking too much during slumps, Pete Whisenant was reaquired by the Reds in 1961 because he was said to be Hutch's guardian during these bouts of depression.
    I have read that, before, and often wonder if it didn't have something to do with the cancer. I sometimes think people know that something is wrong before it actually is diagnosed, and it affects their behavior,

On the other side of the fence, there was a lot of heavy drinking that went on in that era.

Turn Off Ads?