Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which pitchers are available for the Reds?

Which pitchers are available for the Reds?

Given the number of separate threads debating the relative merits and availability of various starting pitchers, I thought it might be a good idea to start one thread that focuses on this issue. So, here are some pitchers that have been mentioned in separate places recently along with my thoughts on their possible price and my opinions on what circumstances would merit the Reds pursuing them. Please feel free to add any other pitchers' names as they become available. Hopefully this will provide a forum for discussing them together.

Jason Schmidt

I read about him being available on CBS Sportsline. The Giants have apparently indicated they will not seek to extend his contract. As I mentioned elsewhere, I think that Schmidt is exactly the type of pitcher the Reds should pursue. He has been very consistent over the years and seems to have rediscover his velocity. He would make our top three starters (Schmidt, Harang, Arroyo) competitive with almost any other team. If we're still in the hunt by July, I say we give the Giants two or three top prospects for this guy. He's what we need.

Dontrelle Willis

I think I've counted at least five or six different threads about this guy, so I'll be brief. He's on a sinking ship in Florida, and all indications are that he will be traded. I was skeptical about him until last night, but then I saw the gem he pitched against Atlanta in a no decision. He is young and probably the most expensive alternative out there, but the Reds would be getting back a long-term answer at #1. They'd clearly have to give up a ton. I'd guess Florida would ask for Kearns and Bailey to start.

Carlos Silva

He's been demoted to the bullpen and has been ineffective this year. He is, however, a fantastic control pitcher (9 BB all of last year) and would probably slot in as a #3 or #4 in our rotation. Someone on the Carlos Silva thread brought up that he gives up a lot of balls in play, which is not a good thing when we've got EdE and Felipe on the left side and Dunn and Griff in the outfield. However, I can't see that he'd be any worse than Williams or Milton at the end of the day... and he might be much better than they are. Word is he also throws a lot of ground ball outs, which might be a boon in GABP. If we can give up just a little to get him (Mercker and Dumatrait?), this might be a worthwhile acquisition.

Joe Mays

Unlike Silva, this guy has not been close to effective recently. He was just cut by KC and there are rumors on CBS (again, thanks to another thread) that the Reds are interested. This scares me, but the good thing is that we won't have to give anything up to get him except some pocket change. Might be a worthy risk, but I'm not excited about it.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which pitchers are available for the Reds?

None, I think you have beat this around already.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    None, I think you have beat this around already.
    None? You mean there are no pitchers available this year?

Or perhaps you mean that this thread is too redundant with other ones. In that case, sorry folks! Feel free to delete it...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Joe Mays

Unlike Silva, this guy has not been close to effective recently. He was just cut by KC and there are rumors on CBS (again, thanks to another thread) that the Reds are interested. This scares me, but the good thing is that we won't have to give anything up to get him except some pocket change. Might be a worthy risk, but I'm not excited about it.
    If they look at Mays, I think it will be on a minor league deal and put him down at Louisville.

If the Reds stay in it until the end of the month. If I was the owner, I would shock the baseball world and go after Clemens hard. He is about the only starter out there that's worth getting.

Another week like this last one and I think the question is going to be which pitchers/players we are going to jettison for prospects.
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 05-17-2006 at 05:07 PM.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

In Wayne We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron
    If the Reds stay in it until the end of the month. If I was the owner, I would shock the baseball world and go after Clemens hard. He is about the only starter out there that's worth getting.
    The Reds have as much a chance of getting Clemens as Griffey does playing every game for the rest of the year......zippo.
    > :lindner:

In Wayne We Trust

Schmidt and Willis would be great additions, but unless the Reds are certain they can sign them to a multi-year contract I don't think it'd be worth it to give up some top prospects, especially Bailey, for a half a year. I think Bailey will be pitching for the Reds sometime next year, probably late next year. He will not be traded unless we are guaranteed World Series rings.

I'd like them to get Willis because he is a legit #1 starter, despite his struggles this year, but only if he'll be here for years to come. I think he'd return to last year's form if he was in the playoff hunt again. Florida's terrible, I wouldn't want to pitch for them.
    > :lindner:

There are plenty of pitchers available for the Reds.

Problem is that all the good ones are taken or dead.

Unless Shirley McLaine can channel Cy Young, we've got what we got and there are reasons why there are FA pitchers.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

He's gonna be a free agent at the end of the year. He's on a team going no place fast. Have to think sooner or later the cubs will recognize they are toast and try and deal Maddux.

You know...their outfield is a train wreck.....It would be a decent fit for Denorfia.

Kansas City released Mays for a reason he simply can't pitch well at the mlb level anymore. He has only had one good year with Minnesota and that looks to be the exception to the norm. Believe me when I say this I have seen Dave Williams in action and Joe Mays is no Dave Williams he is worse. Lets face it the Reds have too many holes in the machine to smooth them over with Bondo and filler which is what Mays is.

I saw Twins sent down Kyle Lohse down could we maybe try to get him he is not too costly.

What about Kerry Wood??? He has worn out his welcome in Chicago, and is Rumored to be on the Block. Texas teams, mostly the Rangers want to get him with his local ties...

Didn't Mays win 12-15 Games for Minnesota one year???

JaredRoberts.com

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    What about Kerry Wood??? He has worn out his welcome in Chicago, and is Rumored to be on the Block. Texas teams, mostly the Rangers want to get him with his local ties...

JaredRoberts.com

And didn't Jimmy Haynes win 15 for us a few years back?

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    He won 17 games 2001, and that was the only year that his ERA was below 5.00. Matt Morris won 21 games that same year, but that was a long time ago, and Morris isn't the same pitcher he was then either. A lot of things change in 5 years.

Turn Off Ads?