Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Far too early to be throwing in the towel

Re: Far too early to be throwing in the towel

It is insulting to the championship teams being mentioned on this thread to be compared to the 2006 edition. 1990 had The Nasty Boys in the bullpen. Now our BP is just plain nasty.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny-Distefano
    Mine is. That is to say... if the Reds are in the basement, I quit watching them and just read about them in the paper. But if they are winning, they are fun to watch.

I mean, baseball is baseball. 9 innings of basement ball is NO FUN. I used to listen to every game, from the 80's on through the mid-90's. I was on the edge of my seat for that Reds-Mets 1 game playoff. But this is a new age of baseball. Its the Davids vs the Goliaths. Usually, the Davids arent very much fun to watch. Until they put some kind of salary cap in, I will always be half-yawning.

But, the Reds have been fun to watch this year for the most part. But if they find themselves in the basement by the all-star break, I have a feeling I will go back to just reading the paper.
    These are unpopular sentiments. But sentiments I almost completely agree with.

I have no idea how someone can look at a terrible Reds team and say, "This is fun." It's awful to me. I only continue to follow in the hopes that change is coming.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

[QUOTE=Falls City Beer]Cardinals are starting to take their typical all-world shape again. That bullpen is outstanding.

Bullpen outstanding? That can't be, Hancock wasn't good enough for the Reds bullpen but can pitch for the best team in baseball's bullpen.
    Last edited by redlegs2370; 05-18-2006 at 11:07 AM.

Re: wow...

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Rats always are the first to abandon a sinking ship
    I guess its you and me and a few others in September.

I love winning, don't get me wrong. But there are two words that always bring me to normal reality after fast starts.

Career Norms.

Just enjoy the winning - and the over direction of this ball club and don't let the Rick Whites of the world wear you down.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

[QUOTE=redlegs2370]
    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Cardinals are starting to take their typical all-world shape again. That bullpen is outstanding.

Bullpen outstanding? That can't be, Hancock wasn't good enough for the Reds bullpen but can pitch for the best team in baseball's bullpen.

Enough with the ''We should have kept Hancock''diatribe.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    I dont think March was too early to talk about cleaning house. I am not saying I want to shake things up right this very second, but I think it will be much better for the long term of this franchise if they are sellers at this years deadline as opposed to buyers.
    I don't totally disagree...in fact I thought the hot start was more hurtful than helpful to the progress of this team...still, I would not complain one bit if this team is in it in July!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Cardinals are starting to take their typical all-world shape again. That bullpen is outstanding.

Cards are a very good team who will be a great team by the end of the season.

The Reds will be 10 back of the Cards by the middle of June and 3 or 4 back of Milwaukee.
    I have the Cardinals winning the division, but they will choke in the playoffs. Again.

Re: wow...

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Rats always are the first to abandon a sinking ship
    Nice reference to Reds fans here that simply don't agree with the premis of this thread.

Rem

[QUOTE=Jr's Boy]
    Quote Originally Posted by redlegs2370

Enough with the ''We should have kept Hancock''diatribe.
    Nice merging of two posters' posts.

I didn't bring up Hancock. Someone else did.

Oh, and come on, it's not like I'm wrong or anything when I do bring him up.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 05-18-2006 at 01:37 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

If Krivsky is smart, he would shake this club up by getting rid of O'Brien's and Kullman's acquistions like Williams, White and Hammond.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

It's definitely too early to throw in any towel. We're not as good as we were playing earlier, when Phillips and others were ridiculously hot. But we're not anywhere near being as bad as this losing streak suggests. The fact is, Arroyo's not going to have an ERA around 2 all season, Harang can't be great every start, and the bats will go cold every now and then. I think people are more inclined to feel like a big time collapse is coming because of this team's history of starting hot and then fading. And until this team can maintain a hot start, that paranoia will always linger. Hopefully this team is different this year. Falling behind 6-0 vs. Pitt., in the midst of what is already a 5 game losing streak, yet battling back to win it (game's not over yet, but hopefully we hold on) is a great sign that this team won't quit on us. Maybe it's not a playoff team, but it's definitely not a last place team. All we can do is let the season play out.

When the sun comes up tomorrow morning, June 9, the Detroit Tigers will have 38 wins. The Cincinnati Reds will have 36. None of the other 28 teams will have more. Who woulda thunk?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I think what has made this team come together and stop the 3 error a game nonsense and stop giving away walks has been Krivsky's penchant for the DFA rule. This is still a young team, but it just strikes me that the current winning ways came not long after William's trip outta town.

Krivsky's trades have been tremendous also.....so far.

The Reds will be 10 back of the Cards by the middle of June and 3 or 4 back of Milwaukee.
    wish I would have put some money up against this quote!

Cruisin' for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    I think what has made this team come together and stop the 3 error a game nonsense and stop giving away walks has been Krivsky's penchant for the DFA rule. This is still a young team, but it just strikes me that the current winning ways came not long after William's trip outta town.

Krivsky's trades have been tremendous also.....so far.
    Almost every quote I've seen lately from the players points to the second game against the Cubs a week ago that they lost in embarrasing fashion 8-3, as the turning point in their season. The players took responsibility, realized that they had to play to their ability every game and we are seeing the results.

Now the rest is up to Krivisky. The ball is now in his court to make a couple of moves to improve the bullpen. If he can do that - and it shouldn't be terribly difficult - the Reds should be in it all year.

Turn Off Ads?