Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dmitri Young to turn himself into police on Monday to face domestic violence charge

Dmitri Young to turn himself into police on Monday to face domestic violence charge

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...TS19/305170004

BY FRANK WITSIL and JOHN LOWE

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

A romantic evening between Detroit Tiger Dmitri Young and a 21-year-old college student ended in an argument and then a struggle, police said Wednesday.

Young, 32, is accused of choking his former girlfriend in the early morning hours of April 14, while the two were staying at the posh Townsend Hotel in Birmingham.

Young was charged Tuesday with domestic violence, a misdemeanor, and is expected to turn himself in to authorities Monday in a deal worked out between police and his attorney, police said.

"It's a bum deal," Young said Wednesday. "Unfortunately, it's public knowledge. I don't see this person any more."

Young is a designated hitter for the Tigers. He came to the team in 2001 from the Cincinnati Reds.

If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 93 days in jail and a $500 fine.

A spokesman for the Tigers said it would be inappropriate to comment on the incident.

Birmingham police said that the Toledo woman reported the incident three days after it happened. Police said she had bruises on her hip and leg, and photographs that show scratches on her neck, upper body and leg.

Birmingham Police Detective John Heppner said Young's accuser told investigators that the couple had been dating for about two years. The detective declined to release the woman's name because Young has yet to be arraigned in 48th District Court.

Heppner said the woman said she and Young went out for dinner at a swanky Birmingham restaurant, had drinks at the Blue Martini, and then checked into the Townsend, which is known for catering to celebrities.

Between 4 a.m. and 4:30 a.m., the couple began quarreling about their relationship and Young became violent, Heppner said the woman said. He said there was yelling, and the woman tried to defend herself.

"Her claim is that he grabbed her around the neck and choked her," Heppner said.

After that, Heppner said, the woman drove herself home.

The next afternoon, Heppner said, the woman went to a doctor for an examination and took photographs of her injuries.

Young was charged with domestic violence instead of assault and battery, Heppner said, because the two had a long-term relationship.
    Last edited by savafan; 05-18-2006 at 11:48 AM.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dmitri Young to turn himself into police on Monday to face domestic violence charge

Those Young boys...always looking to make the family proud
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Re: Dmitri Young to turn himself into police on Monday to face domestic violence charge

21? Are you sure he wasn't babysitting her?

For a Level Playing Field

"It's a bum deal," Young said Wednesday. "Unfortunately, it's public knowledge. I don't see this person any more."

Birmingham police said that the Toledo woman reported the incident three days after it happened. Police said she had bruises on her hip and leg, and photographs that show scratches on her neck, upper body and leg.
    Geez... I wonder why that person doesn't see him anymore?

Three days after the incident. Never makes for a good story to wait that long. Not saying she made it up, but stuff like that needs to be reported immediately.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Geez... I wonder why that person doesn't see him anymore?

Three days after the incident. Never makes for a good story to wait that long. Not saying she made it up, but stuff like that needs to be reported immediately.
    Meathook... he learned a few things from ol' Benito didn't he?
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

???what does he mean a bum deal--because she's just an ex girfriend that he beat the snot out of???

and why do all the celebrities get to choose when they are going to surrender---uh yes officer i slaughtered my family and i will come in to be arrrested as soon as american idol goes off

and why do all the celebrities get to choose when they are going to surrender---uh yes officer i slaughtered my family and i will come in to be arrrested as soon as american idol goes off
    "Or after I get a shot at beating up on Cincinnati Reds pitching over the weekend"! I do have a score to settle with them.

I wondered why throughout all of Delmon's ordeal no one ever said hey, what about Dmitri he's a hothead also. Guess it runs in the Familia, huh!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

No thread is complete without pictures.

Sorry.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Re: Dmitri Young to turn himself into police on Monday to face domestic violence char

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN

That's hilarious. And I've wondered that myself.
    I hate the Cubs!!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I wonder how many seconds elapsed at MLB headquarters after this news broke before those PSAs with Dmitri teaching the kids how to catch home run balls at the wall were pulled from the air?

I always liked Da Meat. Always gave his all, played anywhere he was asked even if he was not much good at anywhere he played.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?