Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Freel needs regular days off

  1. #1
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,027

    Freel needs regular days off

    I've always been one who says Freel should be playing every day based on his performance. However, I've got to say, he was really struggling the last 2 weeks or so. Since given a few days off, he's looking much better. Not that I want him on the bench, but there really seems to be some merit to the idea that to get his best, he needs to have regular days off.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,636

    Re: Freel

    I'd like to see the guy harness his aggressiveness somewhat. He's had too many rally killers lately by making bonehead mistakes on the basepaths. I like Freel's approach to the game but he isn't a smart player. I like his role as a utilility guy who will average around 3-4 starts a week.

  4. #3
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,983

    Re: Freel

    There may validity to it; trouble is with that theory, Freel put up his best numbers as an everyday starter in 2004. So, the numbers say otherwise.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,718

    Re: Freel

    I will take this guy on my team any day. He does make overaggressive errors. But he also gets on base and makes things happen.

    Right now, I would dump about 15 of these guys for nothing. I'd keep Freel

  6. #5
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,983

    Re: Freel

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    I will take this guy on my team any day. He does make overaggressive errors. But he also gets on base and makes things happen.

    Right now, I would dump about 15 of these guys for nothing. I'd keep Freel
    In large part I agree.

  7. #6
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: Freel

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    There may validity to it; trouble is with that theory, Freel put up his best numbers as an everyday starter in 2004. So, the numbers say otherwise.
    Was that 'pre' toe injury?

  8. #7
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,983

    Re: Freel

    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Was that 'pre' toe injury?
    I don't know. He was excellent in 103 games in 2005. No, that's not an everyday player, but what it does tell me is that Freel produces when he's in the lineup not out of it.

  9. #8
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Freel

    Was Freel hitting leadoff in 2004???
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  10. #9
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,983

    Re: Freel

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Was Freel hitting leadoff in 2004???
    I believe so. Does it make much difference *where* he was hitting? In a full-season's worth of ABs, he had a .375 OBP. And used great speed. He was an elite top of the order hitter.

  11. #10
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Freel

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I believe so. Does it make much difference *where* he was hitting? In a full-season's worth of ABs, he had a .375 OBP. And used great speed. He was an elite top of the order hitter.
    I'd say it matters to the pitchers who were pitching to him where he was hitting in the order.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  12. #11
    Member ochre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,266

    Re: Freel

    Only the first time through the order.
    4009



  13. #12
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Freel

    Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Only the first time through the order.
    Hitting after the pitcher (1st) or before (8th) would matter quite a bit most every AB.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  14. #13
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,027

    Re: Freel

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I don't know. He was excellent in 103 games in 2005. No, that's not an everyday player, but what it does tell me is that Freel produces when he's in the lineup not out of it.
    Umm.. duh?

    The point is that in any 15 game stretch, it's possible we'll get better production out of 12 games of Freel and 3 of somebody else than we would out of 15 games of Freel.

    I'm not advocating he play only 2-3 times a week. I'm saying he shouldn't be playing 20 days in a row without a day off. There's some grey room to play with there...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  15. #14
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Freel

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    I'm not advocating he play only 2-3 times a week. I'm saying he shouldn't be playing 20 days in a row without a day off. There's some grey room to play with there...
    I like the idea of him getting 15/20 plate appearances per week. If he's hot, ride him, if he's cold, play him less. That's one thing the "depth" of this team should allow once (if) everyone is healthy.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  16. #15
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,983

    Re: Freel

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Umm.. duh?

    The point is that in any 15 game stretch, it's possible we'll get better production out of 12 games of Freel and 3 of somebody else than we would out of 15 games of Freel.

    I'm not advocating he play only 2-3 times a week. I'm saying he shouldn't be playing 20 days in a row without a day off. There's some grey room to play with there...
    So glad you picked up on the sarcasm.

    I'll make it easy. Freel. Leadoff.

    And spend your time worrying how to relegate Phillips to the bench.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25