Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding Lost Or Stolen Dogs

Finding Lost Or Stolen Dogs

I could really use some help, encouragement, and advise here. My 7 month old Labrador was either lost or stolen today around noon. The AEP meter reader came into my backyard and saw the pup and tried to hit him with an umbrella and the pup took off running and has not been seen since. I know that my pup was scared, but I also know that he's a well enough behaved dog that he would return under almost any condition to the sound of my or my wife's call. I've searched the areas near and kind of far, went to the Franklin County dog pound, posted flyers, and my sister's have gone door to door. We live in a somewhat rural setting, so our neighbors are somewhat limited. I'm open to any suggestions and also, based on other's experience, what are the odds that we will even see him again?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Finding Lost Or Stolen Dogs

Contact the animal shelters, humane societies, dog pounds (as you did already), and local animal control office with a description of your dog and message to notify you if they see him. Hopefully he has his license, etc on him which will greatly assist in his return. And if not, please let this serve to help others to get your pets licensed and keep the tags on them.

Best of luck dman. I truly wish the best for you and the pup. Keep on looking/calling for him yourself also. Don't give up. He's proabably quite scared right now.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I feel for you. Checking with Animal Control, the dog pound, the area humane society/animal protection league might help. Since it's a lab, you might also try to find out if there is a lab rescue organization in the area. Sometimes people will send purebreds to the rescue org. thinking it has been abandoned.

Don't forget lost and found notices in the paper. When I was a kid I brought home a black lab mix puppy that ended up being our family dog for 15 years. She was wonderful, but she had a bad habit of running off. She would come back on her own if no one caught her, but she usually got caught. There were at least 5 or 6 times when I thought she was gone for good, but somehow she was always brought back. I think the key is using multiple avenues to get the word out. Flyers and papers work well. Once my sister took an old piece of fiberboard and spaypainted a sign on it that could be easily seen from a distance. Our dog had been missing for 2 weeks when the people who had found her just happened to drive by our street and noticed the sign.

Driving the neighborhood every so often helps too. Someone might have found your dog, but still doesn't know that it's yours. Maybe you might seem them out walking the dog. Just be careful and make sure it's your dog before you go up to the people.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

The meter guy tried to hit your 7-month-old puppy with an umberlla? What the hell? Is that pretty standard procedure in Grove City? Did they tell you they tried to hit it, or what? If someone ever came in my yard and tried to hit my dog, whew, they might have it coming in a big way from me. Especially if it's a damn puppy.

I'd understand if it's a pit bull or something, but a lab puppy?

They'd probably be getting a pretty irate phone call from me.

Either way, I'm really sorry to hear it, losing a dog is a tough, heartbreaking time. I really hope you find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red
    The meter guy tried to hit your 7-month-old puppy with an umberlla? What the hell? Is that pretty standard procedure in Grove City? Did they tell you they tried to hit it, or what? If someone ever came in my yard and tried to hit my dog, whew, they might have it coming in a big way from me. Especially if it's a damn puppy.

I'd understand if it's a pit bull or something, but a lab puppy?

They'd probably be getting a pretty irate phone call from me.

Either way, I'm really sorry to hear it, losing a dog is a tough, heartbreaking time. I really hope you find it.
    Yeah seriously, if someone came onto my property and took a swing at my beloved little corgi, he would be getting an ass-whipping.

And if he then caused Teddy to run off and get lost... wow, I can't imagine how freaking pissed I would be.

Hope you find your dog!

Obviously, we don't know all of the details, and I'm certainly no lawyer, but I know there are some on Redszone, couldn't this be lawsuit territory?

He came into your yard, and tried to hit your puppy, and the puppy ran away, and may be gone?

I mean, with all of the ridiculous things people sue for, this sounds pretty legit, right? I'm pissed off just thinking about it. I like my dog more than I like most of the people I know.

That's terrible Dman. I don't have any advice that hasn't already been given, but I just wanted to say good luck. I have an 11 month old golden retriever and I'd be devastated if she got away.

And I'd be raising holy hell with AEP if I were you.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

GREAT NEWS. He showed up on the porch about 3:30 A.M. barking wanting in. Thanks for the suggestions and support.
    And yes, I'm not through with this yet. I will be getting in contact with AEP over this whole ordeal. It's probably good I wasn't home when this went down because I'd likely be out of a job from the butt-kickin' this guy would've received. No seriously though, something should be done, but I'm not a lawsuit kind of guy. I'll call and make myself heard and hopefully they'll have a good disciplinary procedure that will take it's course.

Once again thanks so much for the help.

Glad to hear the pup showed up dman
    Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Glad to hear the pup showed up dman
    Yes, me too. Our dog has been "lost" a couple of times and that feeling you go through while it is gone is a terrible thing. All's well that ends well. Except for that chump meter-reader person. Grrrr!

We had a dog that was hit by a car (we saw it); the dog got up and ran off. We were leaving town for Thanksgiving ... thought he'd run off to die.

When we got back, someone had found him and sent him to our vet. (He had tags.)

He wasn't even hurt. Required no treatment. Just boarding while we were away.

I'm glad your dog is back and ok, dman. And you should at least raise some issues with the company the meter-reader worked for.

Not to be overly critical, Sandy, but if I saw my dog get hit by a car, I could have never left without getting him medical attention, or burying him if he had been killed. I know people have different relationships with their animals, but my dog(s) have always been just like a family member. My 2 year old golden retriever and I are inseparable. He sleeps by my side of the bed each night and is my constant companion when I am at home.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Not to be overly critical, Sandy, but if I saw my dog get hit by a car, I could have never left without getting him medical attention, or burying him if he had been killed. I know people have different relationships with their animals, but my dog(s) have always been just like a family member. My 2 year old golden retriever and I are inseparable. He sleeps by my side of the bed each night and is my constant companion when I am at home.
    Agree. I'd be in a constant state of panic/worry the entire trip.

Glad your dog found his way home.

Definitely get in touch with somebody high up the food chain at that company.

My dog was chained in the backyard while I was mowing the front yard. (Lab/Samoyed mix ....... his mama was a purebred, but his papa was a breaking and entering rapist ) The next door neighbor was getting a Chemlawn treatment. I caught the guy spraying chemicals at my dog. (He was barking but tied up and couldn't reach the Chemlawn guy.)

I was furious! You never saw someone fly off a lawn mower so fast. I screamed at the guy and quickly bathed my dog.

Turn Off Ads?