Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We need to make moves NOW .. the question is .. what?

GOREDSGO32

We need to make moves NOW .. the question is .. what?

Play GM for a second .. what do you do?

Milton comes back Saturday, I say option White and Hammond for assignment. Bring up Michalak, give him a star, bump Williams from rotation, use him as a long reliever. DFA McCracken, bring up Ross.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: We need to make moves NOW .. the question is .. what?

Why DFA McCracken? Contrary to popular opinion on this board, people who are 35 years old and older are not automatically worthless. As recently as one year ago, McCracken had 19 pinch hits. He is serviceable from either side of the plate, he can run a little bit, and he can fill in at all three outfield positions. Fans had no problem with Jacob Cruz last season--he filled a role. McCracken is a switch-hitting Cruz with better speed and defensive skills. He is comfortable with his role, and he doesn't complain when he doesn't play much.

Instead, why not option or release the twelfth pitcher (either Williams or White) in order to make room for C. Ross? The Reds will not be any worse (and in all likelihood, will actually be better off) by having one fewer bad pitcher taking up space on the roster, and the bench will benefit by having more depth.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

DFA White
    DFA McCracken (with Cody Ross, we have less use of McCracken)
    Move Williams to Pen
    Activate Ross when ready

Rotation:
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Clausen
    Milton
    Lizard

Felo SS
    Dunn IB
    Griff LF
    Kearns RF
    EE 3B
    Freel CF
    Larue C
    Phillips 2b

With Aurilla subbing alot more with EE and Philips, Phillips giving FELO a blow every now and then, Cody Ross platooning in the OF as well as the three headed catcher platooning alot. Hatt is big PH off bench. Coffey is main closer, with Belisle getting more chances over Hammonds, Burns.

Shop Freel and Larue (as they are most expendable) to see what they can fetch for an arm and shop Griffey for any payflex releif we can find and an arm to boot. That is about all I can see Krivsky doing that is realistic. But we surely upgrade our defense getting Griff out of CF and Dunn in LF which in turn greatly assists our pitching. We can't endure 100 more games of this many outs being given away from these 2 in the field. It is nearly laughable by now how much it hurts this team to have 2 gaping holes in the OF. Suck some pride and do what is best for team.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    Why DFA McCracken? Contrary to popular opinion on this board, people who are 35 years old and older are not automatically worthless. As recently as one year ago, McCracken had 19 pinch hits. He is serviceable from either side of the plate, he can run a little bit, and he can fill in at all three outfield positions. Fans had no problem with Jacob Cruz last season--he filled a role. McCracken is a switch-hitting Cruz with better speed and defensive skills. He is comfortable with his role, and he doesn't complain when he doesn't play much.

Instead, why not option or release the twelfth pitcher (either Williams or White) in order to make room for C. Ross? The Reds will not be any worse (and in all likelihood, will actually be better off) by having one fewer bad pitcher taking up space on the roster, and the bench will benefit by having more depth.
    I agree with you about Crack. I think Williams needs to go to AAA.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I think Williams needs to go to AAA.
    He's probably out of options. JaxRed's site is uncertain, though.

If he's DFAed, that's a $1.4M loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    He's probably out of options. JaxRed's site is uncertain, though.

If he's DFAed, that's a $1.4M loss.
    He has 1 option left.

What I would like to see:

Starting Lineup (8)
    Freel CF
    Lopez SS
    Griffey 1B
    Kearns RF
    Dunn LF
    Encarnacion 3B
    LaRue C
    Phillips 2B

I could live with Griffey in LF and Dunn at 1B, though.

Bench (6)
    C Valentin
    C D.Ross
    1B Hatteberg
    INF Aurilia
    OF McCracken
    OF C.Ross

Rotation (5)
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Milton
    Ramirez
    Claussen

Bullpen (6)
    Coffey
    Weathers
    Mercker
    Belisle
    Shackelford
    Hammond

Right now, I would consider starting Aurilia at 2B (hitting 7th, with LaRue hitting 8th) and using Phillips as a pinch runner/defensive replacement. Also, with Mercker currently on the DL, I would keep Williams in relief, but only until Mercker is activated.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 05-18-2006 at 10:19 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

How long's the losing streak been?

How many games under .500 are the Reds?

How many days in last place have the Reds been?

How many games back of the Brewers are the Reds?

Sometimes the first knee-jerk reaction only makes you a jerk sometimes.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

GOREDSGO32

Sometimes settlnig for mediocrity because you have low expectations and saying 'oh look, we still have this!' means nothing. If you wanna settle with having poor players in vital spots, thats you. Contending teams don't behave this way though, teams 'happy to be there' do.

And why DFA McCracken? His BA was at .300 and has steadily declined to below .200. Ross is a better player, so is Olmedo. Rather give them time than some washed up role player who has nothing to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32
    Play GM for a second .. what do you do?

Milton comes back Saturday, I say option White and Hammond for assignment. Bring up Michalak, give him a star, bump Williams from rotation, use him as a long reliever. DFA McCracken, bring up Ross.
    Wait you want to bring up Michalak and start him?

What about Arroyo, Harang, Claussen, Ramirez and Milton? Arroyo, Harang, and Ramirez have all beebn solid this year. Milton was good until the one start where he pitched hurt, and Claussen isn't going anywhere.

No way Michalak comes up and starts.

GOREDSGO32

Milachak deserves a start IMO. We need bullpen help, Ramirez could be a solid long reliever.

Milachak deserves a start IMO. We need bullpen help, Ramirez could be a solid long reliever.
    Think about what you are saying.

How does he deserve a start over Ramirez who has been our 3rd best starter this year?

Please tell me.

There is no way I put Williams in the pen. We already have enough lefties and I'd go so far as to say White would be a better option.

There is also no way I give up on Hammond. He is pitching much better and his numbers for the past 3 seasons warrant giving him plenty of time to prove himself. His ERA the last month shows he still belongs.

I say send Williams packing with Milton coming back. This is a no brainer in my eyes. I hated the Casey trade, not because we lost Casey, but because we got the Pirates 5th starter in return. I'd rather roll the pitching machine out there every 5th game than give the ball to this guy anymore.

The decision with Ross coming back is the tough one. I realize McCracken is not a favorite here, but I like what he brings to the table. What does Ross really bring to the team that McCracken doesn't? There is a reason Ross is out of options at age 26 and with his third team. I'd be willing to take the risk at trying to get him through waivers and then send him back to Louisville and keep McCracken on the major league roster.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    There is no way I put Williams in the pen. We already have enough lefties and I'd go so far as to say White would be a better option.

There is also no way I give up on Hammond. He is pitching much better and his numbers for the past 3 seasons warrant giving him plenty of time to prove himself. His ERA the last month shows he still belongs.

I say send Williams packing with Milton coming back. This is a no brainer in my eyes. I hated the Casey trade, not because we lost Casey, but because we got the Pirates 5th starter in return. I'd rather roll the pitching machine out there every 5th game than give the ball to this guy anymore.

The decision with Ross coming back is the tough one. I realize McCracken is not a favorite here, but I like what he brings to the table. What does Ross really bring to the team that McCracken doesn't? There is a reason Ross is out of options at age 26 and with his third team. I'd be willing to take the risk at trying to get him through waivers and then send him back to Louisville and keep McCracken on the major league roster.
    I don't think you can give up on Ross.

One of the catchers needs to go.

Ok let's think about this with an open mind.

Ramirez's MLB stats
    1-3, 3.38 ERA, 18 k's, 8 BB, 24 IP

Milachak's AAA stats
    4-0, 3.35 ERA, 16 k's, 7 BB, 40 IP

Yes Miachak is 4-0 and Elizardo is 1-3, but Milachak has an entire 0.03 ERA better ERA then Elizardo.

There stats are very similar, problem is the levels at which they are doing it on are not.

Btw, Elizardo is 3rd on the team in ERA behind Coffey and Arroyo.

Turn Off Ads?