Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We need to make moves NOW .. the question is .. what?

Re: We need to make moves NOW .. the question is .. what?

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32
    Sometimes settlnig for mediocrity because you have low expectations and saying 'oh look, we still have this!' means nothing. If you wanna settle with having poor players in vital spots, thats you. Contending teams don't behave this way though, teams 'happy to be there' do.
    Contending teams are contending teams because, well, they have contending players. If for one iota that you thought that this team would have spent 15 days in first place after the shellacking they recieved on Opening Day, well, you must be a psychic.

We've hit this topic hard a lot lately and jumping on the DFA, AAA, ASAP bandwagon sometimes isn't the best idea. Trade ideas are great...we just have to find a willing trade partner.

Don't yell at me for settling for mediocrity. I don't play the game. It's the team which we've been dealt with. A very good offense and worse pitching then we could have all imagined. This franchise has been down for a while, there is a matter of revamping a farm system and reversing fan apathy and also encouraging attendance down at the ball park.

Screaming for DFA's and AAA call-ups is like applying a Dora the Explorer kids band-aid to a major heart surgery incision.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32
    Play GM for a second .. what do you do?

Milton comes back Saturday, I say option White and Hammond for assignment. Bring up Michalak, give him a star, bump Williams from rotation, use him as a long reliever. DFA McCracken, bring up Ross.
    Not to pile on here, but look what I find in another thread.
    (Props to JEA on the post)

Quote Originally Posted by JEA
    After Chris Hammond's rough start, he's posted a 1.86 ERA (since April 11), including no runs in 6 of his 8 appearances.

He's been solid the last few years, and aside from those first few appearances, I've seen nothing to make me think he's a different pitcher this year.

I like him on the roster.
    So you want to DFA our second best bullpen pitcher since the 1st week of the season?

If Williams does have one option left we need to use it. EZ has earned that spot over him. On the 25th man I'm not sure. I don't now Cody Ross very well. I'm not wild about McCrackin, but he's not terrible. I think the key to getting out of the streak isn't making wholesale changes, but the little tweak of getting back Milton and Aurilia along with moving out Williams and whoever else on the bottom rung is fine. I so hope we are trying to improve the pen. Right now it needs more help then the rotation. I liked seeing the bats today. Hope we can squeeze a couple victories out from the best team in baseball Tigers. oh, did I just say that. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Not to pile on here, but look what I find in another thread.
    (Props to JEA on the post)

So you want to DFA our second best bullpen pitcher since the 1st week of the season?
    Let's look towards the future and not what Hammond has done during blowouts. Do you really trust him??? Check my response to that post and you'll catch my drift. Here's a few possibilities:

1) Bye bye Williams, couldn't care less if he goes to AAA or KC or home
    2) Q goes and Deno comes up
    3) White and Burns leave, and fast
    4) Make a deal with NYM for Jorge Julio (need a 2B and a 5th starter, you never know...)
    5) Make a deal with Minny for some pitching (need hitting)
    6) Go balls out ask NYY what it would take for Hughes (can't hurt)
    7) Make a deal for anyone in the BP, since Coffey and/or Weathers will be spent in a few months, if not sooner

If I got to play armchair GM, here are the moves I'd make over the next few weeks:

1. Return relievers Shackelford and Burns to Louisville to clear spots on the roster for Milton and Cody Ross, reducing the size of our bullpen from 7 to 6 pitchers. With Shackelford's 8.22 ERA and Burns' 2.68 WHIP, neither is getting the job done. AAA duty beckons until they can iron out their kinks.

2. Diligently work the phones to try to trade one of our three catchers. I'd dangle both Valentin or Larue as trade bait, seeking two commodities: Proven relievers and/or a young stud prospect who could take over 1B later this season or 2007 at the latest.

3. Retain Ramirez in the rotation, moving Williams into the more compact bullpen to compete with White for a mopup role.

4. When Mercker is ready to come off the DL, either designate White for assignment or option Williams to AAA, depending on who shows any signs of having a pulse over the interim.

5. Any further moves really would hinge on whether a decent trade can be worked out quickly for one of our catchers, and who we might land in return -- prospects or immediate ML-ready replacements. If it's the latter, then the crunchtime would arrive a little faster to make tougher roster calls. But I wouldn't move a catcher just to make a move. The return would have to justify the deal happening now, as opposed to July or August.

Any catching deal could impact pitchers White and Williams, as they are most certainly riding the bubble owing to their 7.00-plus ERAs. And McCracken hardly looks indispensable as a bench asset, not with his .188 average and 1 RBI in 32 at bats. Yes, he's a switch-hitter with some versatility, but I'd shed him in a heartbeat to keep Cody Ross in our system for a summertime tryout. There's more potential in Ross across the board -- defense, power and a higher OBP.

They need to make a Deal now for a Starter. Maybe we can pry Sean Casey away from the Bucs for Williams. Then turn and trade Sean Casey to Tampa Bay for Kazmir. Right!

JaredRoberts.com

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    5) Make a deal with Minny for some pitching (need hitting)
    The Twins pitching has been awful(Radke, Lohse, Silva, Baker). Team ERA is 5.44, the way I see it they have little pitching to trade except for the cannon fodder they have been removing from the rotation.

Twins are 10th in runs and 12th in ERA. They have problems everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    ... and thje guy that gave up an extra inning HR to a hitter he had no business pitching to. Being the 2nd best pitcher in this pen isn't saying much. Hammond is simply cannon fodder and the Reds won't be worse off without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock
    With Shackelford's 8.22 ERA and Burns' 2.68 WHIP, neither is getting the job done. AAA duty beckons until they can iron out their kinks.
    if Shack was used properly, strictly as a LOOGY, he would likely be fine. Certainly Mercker (if healthy) and Hammond have never been LOOGYs.

Mercker is far more valuable than Shackelford. S-ford is terrible.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

1. Add Milton, keep the Lizard and start him.

2. DFA White. Put Williams in the bullpen as (another) mop up man.

3. Trade a catcher, probably Valentin, for a relief pitcher. Add a prospect to deal to get someone decent in return.

4. Add back Cody Ross to replace Valentin on bench. Keep McCracken for awhile since he is basically the only lefty remaining on the bench if Valentin is traded.

5. Keep looking for bullpen help -- including in the minor league system -- and, possibly, another starter. But I can live with Arroyo, Harang, Claussen, Milton, and Lizard until the trade deadline. As bullpen upgraded, drop non-performing current relievers. Names are obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Mercker is far more valuable than Shackelford. S-ford is terrible.
    ... when foolishly used in a non-LOOGY role. He has a pitch the other two lefties don't which is a good breaking ball. Using him as a general reliever is simply setting him up for failure. Mecker is more valuable because he has generally been effective and has the ability to get both RH and LH hitters out.

LH Hitters are 1 for 15 off of Shack this season.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    ... when foolishly used in a non-LOOGY role. He has a pitch the other two lefties don't which is a good breaking ball. Using him as a general reliever is simply setting him up for failure. Mecker is more valuable because he has generally been effective and has the ability to get both RH and LH hitters out.

LH Hitters are 1 for 15 off of Shack this season.
    Maybe. Though I'm not sure there's room in a bullpen as bad as the Reds' for the luxury of a loogy.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Shack numbers in 05-06

LH Hitters are 9-54 with 3BBs 15Ks
    RH Hitters are 20-80 with 11BBs 9Ks

Those numbers are pretty clear that
    1) Shack would likely make a good LOOGY
    2) That having him pitch to RH batters is a bad idea

Safe at Home

Man you guys are the stat experts, wow my head is a spinning:notworthy

Turn Off Ads?