Turn Off Ads?

Thread: JT Snow?

JT Snow?

According to ESPN.com, it looks like the Red Sox are trying to move JT, since he is getting no playing time with Youklis (sp?) and others getting the time at 1B.

I think this would be an excellent pickup for the Reds, any glove man we can get would be a major upgrade, and JT is certainly that. Any offense he gives up would be gravy, and the runs he would save in the field would be a big plus.

Im certainly not anti-Hatteberg, but getting JT, negates the whole Adam at first base thing. I love the guy, but lets face it, hes "Iron Glove" almost anywhere he plays.

Plus it would give us better bench depth to have either Hatteberg or Snow as a pinch hitter every day.

And hes relatively cheap for a player with his seniority (2M a year)

Comments?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: JT Snow?

No good. Just jamming up an already crowded lineup, esp with RA back. If the Reds make a move, then they should make one that will count. Bullpen is higher in priority.

I don't necessarily like it because it would take time away from Aurilia.

And, I would guess they'd want the same thing we need... bullpen help.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 05-19-2006 at 11:01 AM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Last 3 years of OPS

Snow 805 958 708
    Hatteberg 725 787 677

Seems likely that Snow will provide the same level of offense as Hatteberg and with far superior defense. Snow is a real "pickin machine".

That said 1b is not the most pressing issue but if the Reds aren't looking for a lot of offense from the position it would make sense to go with a superior defender(T Lee, Doug M, JT Snow ) rather than a very poor one in Hatteberg.

Unless you can flip Aurilia for Snow, it really doesn't make much sense. Problem with that is that it leaves Free as the only backup at 2B and 3B, and Phillips as the backup at SS.

Of course, it makes a lot more sense if we do that and move a catcher to allow us to keep Olmedo up full time. I do agree that given the erratic arms on the left side of the infield, a superior defensive 1B would be nice. I didn't realize Snow was putting up the OBP like he has the last 6-7 years. He's basically the same thing as Hatteberg offensively. Given the defensive flexibility of Freel, Phillips, and Olmedo, carrying 2 C and 2 1B wouldn't be the end of the world.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 05-19-2006 at 11:20 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I certainly agree its not the most pressing need, but...

As far as other infield depth, I guess that where my original thoughts with Snow started. With Aurilia back, he can provide backup at 3B and 2B and...gasp, SS if absolutely necessary. Where Freel's only infield position is 2B.

As scary as this teams infield defense can be at times, a 1B that can really sweep up the garbage thrown at him, could be a very very valuable asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlite Graham
    As scary as this teams infield defense can be at times, a 1B that can really sweep up the garbage thrown at him, could be a very very valuable asset.
    I pointed that out 3 weeks ago and was soundly thrashed for the idea. At the time I proposed Lee from the Eggs who is sitting on the bench there and is a younger more athletic version of Snow who posts similar offensive numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I pointed that out 3 weeks ago and was soundly thrashed for the idea. At the time I proposed Lee from the Eggs who is sitting on the bench there and is a younger more athletic version of Snow who posts similar offensive numbers.

Brilliant minds think alike

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85

Isn't Lee making far too much money though? IIRC, I thought that was one of the main trashing points against you.

Would T. Lee be any better than the Aurillia/Hatteberg love child?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Isn't Lee making far too much money though?
    I'm sure the Eggs would be more than happy to pay most of his salary since Huff is back off the DL. They may just release when Cantu comes back and they have a real roster crunch.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    And, I would guess they'd want the same thing we need... bullpen help.
    Actually, I doubt it. That's one thing they don't seem to need. But in the case of Snow, I doubt they want anything more than a marginal minor leaguer and/or someone to pay part of his salary. He's 38 years old, and if his defense isn't special enough anymore to make him an upgrade over Kevin Youkilis, I doubt he's got much value to anyone. If you really want defense from 1st base, Lee or Mientkiewicz would be a much better choice.

Turn Off Ads?