Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Williams on shaky ground (5/19)

Williams on shaky ground (5/19)

05-19-2006

Williams on shaky ground
    By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

PITTSBURGH - It took Dave Williams only 21 pitches Thursday to lose the benefit of the doubt.

That was when the Reds' bullpen phone rang for the first of many times on a long afternoon at PNC Park, with Williams already trailing 4-0 on the way to a six-run first inning. Elizardo Ramirez began to warm up, and though he ultimately didn't replace Williams until the fourth inning, the Reds' fifth starter can't feel too good about his job security at the moment.

Cincinnati's rally for a 9-8 victory smoothed the edges of the postgame analysis of Williams' work, with both the pitcher himself and manager Jerry Narron plucking out the same positive - that Williams bounced back to throw a scoreless second and third inning before being lifted.

But that didn't change what had happened in the first. Williams hit the first batter he faced, Jose Bautista, then allowed singles to Jack Wilson and Freddy Sanchez to load the bases. Williams' first pitch to cleanup hitter Jason Bay was a 66 mph curveball, and Bay lofted it into the seats in left-center.

Williams then walked Jeromy Burnitz and went to a 3-1 count on the next hitter, Ronny Paulino, before Reds pitching coach Tom Hume got on the horn to bullpen coach Lee Tunnell, sending Ramirez into action.

It was not the kind of showing the Reds were looking for from Williams on the heels of his best start of the season, when he allowed one earned run in 8 1/3 innings against the Phillies last weekend.

"As well as he pitched down in his last outing the other night, it seemed like it was almost the opposite today - everything was up in the zone," Narron said. "The other night, his breaking balls, I think he threw all but five of them for strikes, and all of them were down."

Williams was nowhere near as composed Thursday. The first inning continued with a double by Paulino, an error by catcher Jason LaRue that allowed Jose Hernandez to reach and an RBI single by Jose Castillo before Williams finally settled down and retired the ninth, 10th and 11th men to come to the plate.

"I was trying to stick to my game plan, but when things start to happen, you tend to shy away from it, and I did," said Williams. "It wound up biting me."

The Reds will have to make a roster move Saturday when Eric Milton is activated from the disabled list. The easiest choice would be to send Ramirez back to Louisville to start regularly, which is what he was doing before Milton was injured. But Williams' latest performance, which lifted his ERA to 7.20 in eight starts with 74 baserunners allowed in 40 innings, might give the Reds pause.
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....605190325/1027
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Williams on shaky ground (5/19)

which lifted his ERA to 7.20 in eight starts with 74 baserunners allowed in 40 innings
    Should the decision on who goes really be that hard? Just look at those numbers above. Just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    Should the decision on who goes really be that hard? Just look at those numbers above. Just awful.
    I agree totally. This should be an easy decision in my eyes.

Should be a no-brainer if they are really interested in winning.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Send Williams to the minors.......as far down as possible.

we have a pretty good t-ball league in DeGraff,Ohio...but they don't use pitchers. Williams would qualify!

In Wayne We Trust

I still think Williams should stay on the roster.......he'd make a great batting practice pitcher keeping our hitters sharp and very, very confident
    > :lindner:

Where is Vern Ruhle? Man, I hope he recovers and gets back quick. Seems he has the midus touch when it comes to our staff.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Can williams be sent down to Louisville?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon4MVP
    Can williams be sent down to Louisville?
    I'm pretty sure he has options left.

DFA Williams and White,put the Lizard back in the rotation.

If he would only stick to his game plan...

Why would we want to do that to poor Louisville?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Why would we want to do that to poor Louisville?
    In one week Louisville could get Williams and Joe Mays. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red
    If he would only stick to his game plan...
    The question is, what kind of game plan do you have with the lollipops he tosses up there? "Duck after every pitch?" "Keep on toes for liners through the box?" Try to convince the ump that hits over the fence are "poison" and count as outs?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?