Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Joe Mays to minor league contract

Re: Reds Sign Joe Mays

Maybe they thought he was Willie Mays' brother.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Royal castoffs.
    Cincinnati, where even Royals rejects can still find work.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Mays won 17 games back in 01, and now that he's a Red I KNOW he can win at least that many this year!!!!!

All the way with Mays!!!!!!! gO REdS!
    Rick Helling won 20 in 1998. Let's get him too.

I was shocked when I looked Helling up to find out he's still drawing a check.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    harmless

just because -- anyone know his surgery history? all elbow or was the shoulder cut too?
    He had a bone spur removed from his elbow in 2002 causing him to miss several weeks. That is the only major surgery I see he has had.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I'm dumbfounded
    He's in Louisville and he'll help the Bats to a last place finish -- save the confused and slightly angry stares until he gets called up to replace Dave Williams after another shelling.

Although, it does bring up the point that the team is just wasting money by fielding a AAA squad this year. It's a team full of guys with 0 value over replacement benchwarmers and virtually no projectable talent anywhere. The Reds would've been better off just promoing the entire Chattanooga squad to AAA , the entire Sarasota squad to AA, etc. and not fielding a GCL team.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Rick Helling won 20 in 1998. Let's get him too.

I was shocked when I looked Helling up to find out he's still drawing a check.

tHAT"S a Grate idear. We needs more guys that know whats to do on that mound.

There's not really anything to lose here. We stick him down at Louisville, give him a few starts and see what happens. If he gets shelled we cut ties and let him fade into retirement. If he does well then maybe after a month or so we could give him a look in Cincinnati. Krivsky obviously knows him from the Twins days, maybe he's seen a flaw or something he's changed since he was successful in 2001. He won 17 major league games in one season, that's not a claim any Reds starting pitcher has been able to make for the past few years. He may be far removed from that success but giving him a look in Triple A sure won't hurt anything happening in Cincinnati.

Here's an apt line for some of the Reds pitchers. "He knew how to pitch."

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Hey, we have cornered the market on former crappy KC lefties with "May" in their name.
    Willie Mays Aikens is next.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed
    Willie Mays Aikens is next.
    If Bud Black is included in the deal, with Buddy Biancalana as a throw in, they better jump on it.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    He had a bone spur removed from his elbow in 2002 causing him to miss several weeks. That is the only major surgery I see he has had.
    Didn't he have Tommy John as well?

Wonder if Paul Splittorff, Jim Rooker or Tom Burgmeir are available?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Didn't he have Tommy John as well?
    Yes you are right. They didn't have it listed where I was checking before but I now see he also had Tommy John surgery in 2004. He missed the entire 2004 season with that surgery. So he has had 2 major surgeries.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    When I first heard a couple days ago that the Reds were interested in Mays I was not happy, mainly because I figured he'd be inserted right into the Major League staff.

But him signing a Minor League deal changes my whole outlook on this. I love this signing. You stick him in Louisville and see if there is anything at all that can be salvaged out of him. If there is, you've got a pretty good pickup. If there's not, you dump him and pretend the whole thing never happened.

This is a very low risk, but potentially high reward deal and I like it.
    This has been my position all along. Krivskey knows him from his days with the Twins. He's down at the minors, not taking up a roster spot on the 40 man and see if he can straighten himself out. Wayne has shown he's not afraid to pick up discards on minor league deals and he's also shown that they're not wedded to them (e.g. Terrance Long). I think we've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Will we? It's doubtful, but it adds something to the old toolbelt.

This isn't a huge event, IMO. I think there will be other moves within the week, besides the movements caused by folks coming off the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Geez, it's just Wayne Krivsky watching out for his peeps. Witness Brian Buchanan.
    In a case of irony Doc, Buchanan was released after Ray Ray was sent back according to Marc's blog.

Turn Off Ads?