Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 24 beers a day for 8 years

24 beers a day for 8 years

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=268346#

A seemingly unbelievable mess discovered last year in an Ogden townhouse has suddenly become an Internet legend.

It's all TRUE!

You know how some people, after they use something, just can't bear to throw it away. That might make sense if it's magazines or clothes. But what if it's empty beer cans? In astounding numbers?

When property manager Ryan Froerer got a call from a realtor last year to check on a townhouse, he knew something was up.

Ryan Froerer, Century 21: "Said it was the sickest thing he's ever seen. Just unimaginable that someone could live in that."

He couldn't even open the front door. It was blocked from inside.

Ryan Froerer, Century 21: "There was beer cans I would say probably this high up on the door."

The realtor had forewarned him about the smell.

Ryan Froerer, Century 21: "He poked his head in, the smell was so awful he couldn't go in. "

At the back door, Froerer was astounded by what he saw in the kitchen.

Ryan Froerer, Century 21: "As we approached the door, there were beer boxes, all the way up to the ceiling."

Inside, he took just a few snapshots to document the scene. Beer cans by the tens of thousands. Mountains of cans burying the furniture. The water and heat were shut off, apparently on purpose by the tenant, who evidently drank Coors Light beer exclusively for the eight years he lived there.

Ryan Froerer, Century 21: "It's just unbelievable that a human being could live like that. "

To all outward appearances, the person who lived in the townhouse was the perfect tenant. He always paid on time and he never complained. He kept a low profile in the neighborhood.

Kirk Martin, Letter Carrier: : "Yeah I never delivered any mail there at all. I thought the apartment was vacant."

The cans were recycled for 800 dollars, an estimated 70,000 cans: 24 beers a day for 8 years.

Froerer e-mailed his photos to a couple of friends, who sent them to friends. Now he's getting calls from faraway places

Ryan Froerer, Century 21: "It's amazing how the internet can have the effect and get around. I'm sure it's been around the world. "

The townhouse was cleaned up last year and it's just fine today.

The man who lived there seems to be back on his feet. We spoke to him today and he says he's completely stopped drinking. He was welcomed back to his old job a few months ago, and his co-workers speak highly of him.

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 24 beers a day for 8 years

Those pics look like my apartment from college. 11 years of college down the drain, and for what!
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I have a recycling bin in my garage, so I know how beer cans can stink when they sit at room temperature for a week. After all those years, that place must have smelled putrid!

He was unemployed and the story doesn't explain where he got the money to support his case-a-day habit, though.

Or maybe the writer didn't want to let everyone in on the source for the free beer?

Why didn't he just throw them away as he went?

I know of a man who drinks 12-14 beers every day.

Man Pills

He drank that much beer...out of a can?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Must have been an ALCOA employee...
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The realtor had forewarned him about the smell.
    A simple warning wouldn't do. He had to have a warning before the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    A simple warning wouldn't do. He had to have a warning before the warning.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    You know, I hadn't thought about it, but a keg would've been much more economical. It might've been too obvious to those outside, though, and that may be why he didn't throw the cans away?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Coors light...that explains it.

That stuff isn't very strong

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Why didn't he just throw them away as he went?
    Hey! Give the guy a break. He was an environmentally conscious drunk who believed in recycling.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I think it is torn down but there used to be the "Busch House" in Clifton, but it was much more sanitary. Every wall was lined with a (washed) empty busch beer can. It was a 3 story house so there musy have been thousands of cans on the walls, lined up right next to one another. There was a soda machine in the kitchen that dispensed busch beer for 50 cents a can. Tons of other things Busch related around the house including a pinball machine and a wall of fame for anyone who drank 24 busch beers in 24 hours.

Anyone else know what I am talking about? It was on Jefferson but I think they tore it down for UC's contruction.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Was at the pub last night. The bartendress mistook my request for a Sammy Adams for a Coors light. I asked her if the Coors was free,then told her nevermind,I wouldn't drink it then either.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?