Turn Off Ads?

Thread: You guys heard of the band Gomez ?

You guys heard of the band Gomez ?

Been listening to their album Liquid Skin this afternoon and forgot what a class band they are. Give them a try if you can get hold of any of their stuff (bring it on is a must )

http://www.gomez.co.uk/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You guys heard of the band Gomez ?

They're being featured on the frontpage of Rhapsody right now too.

I'll have to check them out.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Not sure about their new stuff but "Bring in on" & "Liquid Skin" are amazing

One of my hippi friends likes them a bunch, blues based rock correct? Not Jon Spencer like but more pychadelic blues based form what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    One of my hippi friends likes them a bunch, blues based rock correct? Not Jon Spencer like but more pychadelic blues based form what I've heard.
    You got it West

I have their Out West live album pretty decent.

Ive only heard Bring it on . The only song i really liked was Get myself arrested.

Now that you got me thinking about them a buddy of mine saw them last year, I think at Jamming on Main, IIRC he said they were pretty good live.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Wasn't that Gomez who did the remake of the Beatles' "I got to believe it's getting better...it's getting better all the time" on the old Phillips Magnavox commercials a few years ago?

Fantastic!
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Have tickets to see them at Portland's Wonder Ballroom this coming Friday the 26th. The last album Split the Difference was a little weak, but good stuff is on every one of their five studio records.

Crash: yep. They pulled it fairly quick because of copyright or something, I think.

"He only grows for guys he knows and me, well thats alright "

Oh man I totally forgot about that band. I think I really liked Liquid Skin when I was 19 or 20...
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh" -Al Swearengen, Deadwood

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    Wasn't that Gomez who did the remake of the Beatles' "I got to believe it's getting better...it's getting better all the time" on the old Phillips Magnavox commercials a few years ago?

Fantastic!
    Yes, that was them, and that song is available on an EP called Abandoned Shopping Trolley Hotline.

I liked Gomez a lot, they were very hyped early on when they won one of the early Mercury Music Prizes (a prestigious award in Britain) for their first album, Bring It On. Their second album is Liquid Skin and I love it -- ALL kinds of styles, from bluesy to grassy rock to an A+, way overlooked breakup song. Then their next album sucked and I haven't listened to them since then. Their new one is supposed to be very good though.

They split duties -- a few singers and they move around on instruments. One of their singers, Ben Ottewell, has often been compared to a stronger-voiced Eddie Vedder, which I can see. And i think a lot of people who like Pearl Jam like Gomez, although I don't think they're that similar. I can't really think of a band to which to compare them, actually; the hippie label is kind of apt but as I said there's also a lot of variety within their music.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Friday the 26th is like friday the 13th x 2.

Creepy.

Turn Off Ads?