Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, Weathers VS Coffey

On the brink of disaster

Ok, Weathers VS Coffey

OK, I have to say good job on the Williams move. The thing that keeps bugging me is the insistence on keeping Weathers as the closer. Narron says Todd Coffey is the best fit for the set up role and getting the team out of tight situations, but the question is, does that matter when you don't have someone to shut the opposing team down in a tight game in the 9th? Weathers has been a set up man for the bulk of his career for a reason, he doesn't have the standard closer make-up. Todd Coffey seems to have that. The question is how much longer are they going to keep Weathers in the closers role. Weathers isn't a terrible pitcher, but the fact is, when you blow it in the ninth, you don't usually get another chance to mount a comeback on offense. What better entrance for a closer could you have than the one Todd Coffey makes. Maybe I'm just venting after tonights loss, but how much confidence do you have in Weathers moving forward? I have to say, I don't have much, I can't imagine that Narron would have that much confidence left either. I know he's a veteran and so on, but that only carries so much weight no matter who you are, if a player doesn't perform, you find one who does. Its not like we don't have other people who could turn into very effective closers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ok, Weathers VS Coffey

Coffey in a rout.

Sure glad we had Coffey throw last night
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Sure glad we had Coffey throw last night
    Agree 100%. Though in a 9-4 game, it is still up in the air w/Burns and the gang.

Not a huge Narron fan lately. Move should have been made for Coffey to close weeks ago. When the discussion about Coffey being closer was made during the spring, I said that he was not proven. I think that he has more than proven it now.

With out a doubt Coffey, Heck I wouldnt mind seeing him pitch every night. He is 10 times better than Weathers.

Williams

Weather is a 2 pitch(fastball, slider) pitcher with marginal stuff. He really struggles with lefties because he doesn't really have a pitch to get them out. Coffey has 3 pitches(fastball, slider, change) and far supeior stiff to Weathers.

The problem is a Weathers type pitcher should pitch at the front of the pen not the back, unfortunately the other Reds relievers are even worse.

On the brink of disaster

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Weather is a 2 pitch(fastball, slider) pitcher with marginal stuff. He really struggles with lefties because he doesn't really have a pitch to get them out. Coffey has 3 pitches(fastball, slider, change) and far supeior stiff to Weathers.

The problem is a Weathers type pitcher should pitch at the front of the pen not the back, unfortunately the other Reds relievers are even worse.
    Yeah, that is very true, the relievers are even worse, but that to me makes it even more important that you have the pitcher who has the ability to shut down the opposing team close the game. He hasn't just shut down mediocre hitters, he's made even the best hitters look silly with his stuff. It is beyond me why Narron seems to think the 7th and 8th innings are the most important. Heck, they have Belisle out there too. Use Weathers in the front end, set up with Belisle and close it with Coffey. That seems to be the best formula to me. To me, Hammond is a serviceable lefty out of the pen, although he's started slow, his change up is one of the best in the business. So to me, there are 4 solid arms, and when Mercker comes back, that makes 5. I know Hammond is questionable, but hey, he's not nearly as bad as Burns and White.

Weathers isn't awful; Coffey is just a lot better. Weathers doesn't have the stuff to be a bonefied closer; Coffey does.

With a one-run lead, it should ALWAYS be Coffey... no doubt in my mind.

I know Lopez made the error that cost the game, but the run that tied it up (with 2 outs no less) should never have scored in the first place.

I know that I just stated on another thread that no one can be perfect every day, and I stand by that. But Coffey is the better pitcher, especially in that tight situation and he's the one that should have been called on, regardless of whether or not he pitched last night (what? 2 innings?). With the lead the Reds had last night, he shouldn't even have been called upon, but that's a whole other conversation.

When the game is on the line, you bring the guy that gives you the best chance of putting it away. This loss was a tough one, and IMHO, this one is JN's fault for making a poor decision.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

hopefully, this is the game which helps Narron realize Weathers is a good relief pitcher, but not a good closer.
    Coffey all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    hopefully, this is the game which helps Narron realize Weathers is a good relief pitcher, but not a good closer.
    Coffey all the way.

Amen to that. Not that Weathers is stinking up the joint, but I"d feel a lot better with Coffey.

The first month of the year the Reds basically lost 1 game they should have won, against the Cards. They have lost what 2 games now in the past week they should have won? The key to this is the BP. If they don't get this sured up quickly, blown games are going to become the norm. I don't see how they thought the signings they made to the pitching staff in the offseason would make the BP good. It has been anything but.. So far this year anytime they take the starter out you start to worry because you never know what you will get.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Weathers isn't awful; Coffey is just a lot better.
    With a one-run lead, it should ALWAYS be Coffey... no doubt in my mind.
    That statement says it all. I've been generally a Narron supporter and backer but it is time for Coffey to take over the closer role. With a one run lead in the ninth inning, you need your best guy on the mound to finish the game and last night that wasn't the case.

Not only is Weathers inadequate as closer, the club needs to find 2-3 guys to set up Coffey. There is literally nowhere to turn except for these two guys. Like worn down tires, they are going to blow out if we keep pushing the gas pedal. Weather may have already blown. This is a more pressing need than the rotation. Ryan Wagner sure has been a disappointment. He should have been one of the answers.

Turn Off Ads?