Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan O Brien => The gift that keeps on giving

GOREDSGO32

Dan O Brien => The gift that keeps on giving

Dave Williams - traded for with a former Al Star 1B, and Cincy hero .. result = DFA

Tony Womack - traded for ... result - DFA

Eric Milton 3 year almost 30 mil contract - one of the worst complete years in NL history - on pace for that at least this year

Thank you O Brien, you are the worst GM in baseball history. Rot in baseball hell.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dan O Brien => The gift that keeps on giving

I still like the Williams for Casey deal. Saved the Reds lots of money and a double play, rally killing machine.

Word I have heard says Obrien didnt want to sign Milton, but that Carl told him he didnt have a choice but to sign him.

Womack....yeah bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Word I have heard says Obrien didnt want to sign Milton, but that Carl told him he didnt have a choice but to sign him.
    If true, this was never publicized. Source?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

A guy I know had a conversation with Obrien last year. I wasnt there, so I cant say for sure that is what he said, but I trust the guy enough that he would make up something like that. There really wouldnt be a point in it. Take it for what its worth.

I still like the Williams for Casey deal. Saved the Reds lots of money and a double play, rally killing machine.

Womack....yeah bad move.
    I never liked the Casey for Williams deal. We got nowhere near enough for Casey (and I understand others believe Casey had lost value), but at the very least, we should have gotten some prospects along with it. Even with Casey's injury this year, I have to think the Pirates are dancing in the streets over the trade (if there is any dancing in the streets).

I like the subject title. I'm wishing the Reds could sue Dan for malfeascance (sp?)!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Lets just hope the Mets want to deal for Williams and offer us some scrappy middle infielder or back-up catcher

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

That's a new one.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

A guy I know had a conversation with Obrien last year. I wasnt there, so I cant say for sure that is what he said, but I trust the guy enough that he would make up something like that. There really wouldnt be a point in it. Take it for what its worth.
    Not doubting you doug, but I find it hard to believe that DOB would tell anyone anything. Just from our experience when DOB was the GM here and never seemed to say anything about anything or anyone.

Although by last year's All-Star Break... even George Washington, had he been the bonehead-GM who gave that contract, would be telling lies to cover his butt too!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Don't forget the Chris Reitsma for Bubba Nelson and Bong...both DFA

All it did was save Lindner a lot of money. The money saved from Casey's salary dump was supposed to be used for pitching, but it was never used for anything. Some will say that it went to Dunn, but I'm thinking Castellini would have still signed Dunn anyway. The trade was ridiculous at the time it was made and Williams showed exactly why it was.

Casey's DP stats increased last season but you also have to remember he played the whole season with a bad shoulder. The guy was still a .300 contact hitter who is difficult to strikeout, which the Reds have a need for.

I never had a problem with trading Casey. I don't consider any position player as untradeable, but at least get something of equal or greater value in return.

Sean Casey was a .300 hitter with no power, no speed and no ability to drive in runs making way to much money for what he could do.

Sean Casey was a .300 hitter with no power, no speed and no ability to drive in runs making way to much money for what he could do.
    He hit 24 home runs and 99 rbis just two seasons ago. You can't pass judgement on a player based on one season when he played with an injury the majority of that season.

I don't buy that Carl forced Dan O to sign Milton, he may have said go sign a starter but I doubt he said "Go overpay by 20 million bucks for Eric Milton"

Milton's agent should be in the agent HOF for that deal.
    Go Gators!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I don't buy that Carl forced Dan O to sign Milton, he may have said go sign a starter but I doubt he said "Go overpay by 20 million bucks for Eric Milton"

Milton's agent should be in the agent HOF for that deal.
    Lindner probably didn't know Eric Milton from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Lindner probably didn't know Eric Milton from me.
    Bummer for you, that 25 mill could have been yours
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?