Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Errors Vs. Hitting

Errors Vs. Hitting

How important is hitting at the ss position when he's giving outs away? Nine errors already this year is hard to stomach even from one of the best hitting ss in the NL. I think the question is: Would the Reds be a better team with a ss hitting .240-250 and playing great defense or with Felipe hitting well, as he is, but just having to deal with the fact the he is going to toss one in the dugout or leave one in the dirt every fourth game or so? Right now still being upset from the game I'd have to a defensive ss would be best but I might not be completely objective at this moment.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Errors Vs. Hitting

Quote Originally Posted by billy117
    How important is hitting at the ss position when he's giving outs away? Nine errors already this year is hard to stomach even from one of the best hitting ss in the NL. I think the question is: Would the Reds be a better team with a ss hitting .240-250 and playing great defense or with Felipe hitting well, as he is, but just having to deal with the fact the he is going to toss one in the dugout or leave one in the dirt every fourth game or so? Right now still being upset from the game I'd have to a defensive ss would be best but I might not be completely objective at this moment.

The Reds would be better with Lopez @ 2B and Phillips @ SS. Phillips makes that play last night and the game doesn't end on an error.

Thanks Felipe

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    The Reds would be better with Lopez @ 2B and Phillips @ SS. Phillips makes that play last night and the game doesn't end on an error.

Thanks Felipe
    I agree...flipping the two of them helps this team.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Thanks Felipe
    But Phillips dropped the ball that would have caught Guillen. What makes you think he'd be better?

Quote Originally Posted by big boy
    But Phillips dropped the ball that would have caught Guillen. What makes you think he'd be better?
    Having not seen the Guillen play, I'm not sure the particulars of the situation, but having seen Lopez's gem at the end, I know a couple of things:

1. Phillips gets to that ball quicker than Lopez (due to his limited range)
    2. Phillips has better hands, doesn't double clutch it in the transfer
    3. Phillips has a better arm, doesn't zip it up the line towards home
    4. The Lopez error all started with the lack of range, and then escalated into the end result due to lack of range, bad hands, inaccurate arm all heightened by the fact Lopez felt compelled to rush the play. He had plenty of time.

It's only a matter of time before Lopez becomes our IF blackhole giving up free outs just as KGJ is doing the same in CF. Both positions need to be addressed.

It's only a matter of time before Lopez becomes our IF blackhole giving up free outs just as KGJ is doing the same in CF. Both positions need to be addressed.
    I am not saying you are wrong about Lopez...just not sure Phillips is the answer. If he gets Guillen at second, the Reds would've been out of the inning.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    I agree...flipping the two of them helps this team.
    When was the last time Phillips played SS? Has Lopez ever played 2B? I agree that flipping them might be the best option, but I think this needs to be addressed in the offseason, which at this point we'll have to wait. I'm frustrated too about last night's game (if I had to blame someone, I would blame Narron for using Coffey Friday...not smart), but I think we're LUCKY to even be discussing a switch here. If Phillips wasn't here, just imagine our infield defensively with Eddy, Lopez, Freel/Womack - yikes, and Hatte/Aurilia.
    Right now I'm just happy Phillips is in our infield. Maybe next year we'll see the switcharoo??

I don't want to get into range factor and all the other defensive stats but Guillen has 11 errors and 2 other short stops have 9 errors.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by big boy
    I am not saying you are wrong about Lopez...just not sure Phillips is the answer. If he gets Guillen at second, the Reds would've been out of the inning.
    Or if Weathers did not hit a guy who is not real strong at the plate with a pitch, Phillips never gets put in that situation!

I agree that Phillips should have made the play on the steal (and the DP that followed later), but I was more ticked at Weathers for the HBP to Guillen.

Thanks Felipe
    Felipe makes that play 97 out of 100 times. It just so happens that he made a physical error. It happens. Move onand win today.

I'm not convinced Phillips is a better option at SS, long term.

Knee-jerk reactions are what make teams lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    When was the last time Phillips played SS? Has Lopez ever played 2B?
    Lopez played 2B in 7 games last year (12 games total beginning in 2003).

Phillips has already played SS for the Reds one time this year. He played SS once in Cleveland last year... never before that.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Felipe makes that play 97 out of 100 times. It just so happens that he made a physical error. It happens. Move onand win today.

BP booted a double play ball in the 10th also, and only got 1 out because of it.

I guess "flipping" them might work but still i'm not quite convinced that lopez is going to be a good fielder at any position. but it looks like we really need his bat.
    oh btw i realize that the title makes no sense at all...i wrote this when i got back from the bar last night, i'm surprised that anything i wrote makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11

I wish my feelings on Lopez were knee-jerk, but I've thought this about him since 2004. I was excited with getting Phillips b/c I felt that eventually it would allow us to explore the possibility of BP at SS and FL at 2B. Hopefully in the offseason we'll see some of that.

I'm not convinced Felipe makes that play 97 out of 100 times. I think his overall lack of range greatly increases his chances of repeating what we saw last night.

I wish my feelings on Lopez were knee-jerk, but I've thought this about him since 2004. I was excited with getting Phillips b/c I felt that eventually it would allow us to explore the possibility of BP at SS and FL at 2B. Hopefully in the offseason we'll see some of that.

I'm not convinced Felipe makes that play 97 out of 100 times. I think his overall lack of range greatly increases his chances of repeating what we saw last night.
    Lack of range has nothing to do with what happend last night. He couldn't find the ball in his glove (yes that happens occasionally) and because of it he rushed his throw.

Felipe does make that play 97 times out of 100.

Turn Off Ads?