Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lefebvre changed Dunn's stance and approach

Lefebvre changed Dunn's stance and approach

Lefebvre - what a smart man. While Adam Dunn has had a terrific career up to this point, I still don't think he has reach his fullest potential just yet. Sadly, Lefebvre slowed Dunn's progress down with his stupidity. If not for him messing with Dunn, we would probably be looking at a .310/.470/.600+ type of player right now, which would possibily make him the best player in the game.

Q: Adam Dunn appears to be playing Home Run Derby every at-bat. Aren't there three bases out there for a reason? Bill, Cincinnati

A: When Dunn first came up, he hit the ball to all fields and for an average. Then former hitting coach Jim Lefebvre decided the big guy should pull everything and changed his stance and approach. Dunn still rues the day and doesn't say nice things about J.L. And he hasn't been able to turn it back around. As for three bases, Dunn manages to find them all as he tours the bases on his home runs or runs around them after one of his many walks.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...askhalweb.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lefebvre changed Dunn's stance and approach

I loath Lefebvre
    Go Gators!

Not to excuse JL cuz I wont. But is there an off season in baseball? Can a player not get other coaching and YES the Reds will pick up the tab. Please Adam I so wish you retire as a red and more importantly I am tired of the bashing the casual fan heaps upon you.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I guess I don't see how this is big news now. Lefebvre hasn't been a Reds coach in four years and Dunn's numbers are much better with Chambliss as his coach. Nothing you can do about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I guess I don't see how this is big news now. Lefebvre hasn't been a Reds coach in four years and Dunn's numbers are much better with Chambliss as his coach. Nothing you can do about it now.
    Dunn is one of the top 15 hitters in the game right IMO, but there is a pretty good chance he would be the best or at least one of the top three players in the game if Lefebvre hadn't altered Dunn's approach at the plate. Dunn was hitting roughly .320/.470/.565 at the time that Lefebvre decided he would turn one of the best young hitters in the game into strictly a pull hitter. This senseless thinking sent Dunn into a year and a half tailspin. He has since recovered and developed into an awesome .950 OPS hitter, but not the 1.050 OPS player that I think he can be.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Exactly. This is old news. To still be blaming JL now is kinda ridiculous IMO.

When does Dunn take some accountability/responsibility?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

The Yankees changed Hank Sauer's approach just like the aforementioned change. 10 years later the Reds traded Sauer because they tried to change him back to an all fields hitter and it didn't take.

He went on to have quite a career after they dumped him.

Oh please! That was four years ago. That like blaming your high school teacher because your 25 years old and unemployeed. How about Dunn getting some blame for Dunn not reaching his potental. (Even w/ not reaching his potential he is still great). Or just maybe his potential is not this high .310/.470/.600+.

Here is another thought what if Lefebvre didn't make this change maybe Dunn would have a line like this .200/.310/.400? You never know how the past has impacted the future. He could have seen a hugh hole in his swing that he thought pitchers would figure out. It not like Lefebvre is some amutuer that they pulled of the street to be hitting coach.

Quote Originally Posted by 4256 Hits
    Here is another thought what if Lefebvre didn't make this change maybe Dunn would have a line like this .200/.310/.400? You never know how the past has impacted the future. He could have seen a hugh hole in his swing that he thought pitchers would figure out. It not like Lefebvre is some amutuer that they pulled of the street to be hitting coach.
    Please explain why Dunn was hitting .320/.470/.560+ and then went into a year and a half tailspin after Lefebvre altered his plate approach. Coincidence? Not in my opinion.

Could you show me where and when this happened ? It's not that I dont believe you I just want to check this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Please explain why Dunn was hitting .320/.470/.560+ and then went into a year and a half tailspin after Lefebvre altered his plate approach. Coincidence? Not in my opinion.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba
    Could you show me where and when this happened ? It's not that I dont believe you I just want to check this out.
    Read my first post in this thread. It has a quote from Hal confirming what most of us already knew: Lefebvre and Boone altered Dunn's approach hoping it would lead to better power numbers.

Read my first post in this thread. It has a quote from Hal confirming what most of us already knew: Lefebvre and Boone altered Dunn's approach hoping it would lead to better power numbers.
    I dont want a question and answer thing I want to see where the numbers came from. Sorry And I dont think most of us already knew.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Which was just patently ridiculous, considering that across three levels, he hit 51 homers the year he came up. And yes, folks, he was a high-average hitter coming out of the minor leagues.

I'll agree that in the end, it's Dunn and Dunn alone who is responsible for his results. But ask any golfer -- if you make swing changes and get yourself screwed up, it's not as simple as saying "just go back to what you were doing before."
    Not all who wander are lost

I dont want a question and answer thing I want to see where the numbers came from. Sorry And I dont think most of us already knew.
    I wasn't aiming that head banging smilie at you, btw.

Sorry, but I'm not sure if there were any articles written back then regarding Lefebvre and Dunn, but I do remember hearing about it on the radio and TV.

If you doubt what someone says, you have the ability to look up the numbers... try ESPN and MLB for starters. They don't have to do it for you.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?