Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting comment on today's pregame

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Interesting comment on today's pregame

I hear this before all of you....

Jerry:

"We're going to come out and battle. Aaron Harang is going to give us 8 innings and Todd Coffey's going to give us 1 and we're going to win this thing."

The prediction (which I don't think it was), which was more of a confidence, competetive conversation thing with Marty isn't what sparked my attention....it was the last part of the sentence.....
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 05-21-2006 at 12:49 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Interesting comment on today's pregame

Man I hope that's right about Coffey...we shouldn't have lost last night's game for many reasons but David Weathers allowed all the other mistakes to happen.
    Last edited by harangatang; 05-21-2006 at 12:57 PM.

You gotta believe Narron is kicking himself for not having Coffey available for last night's game due to his poor decision of running Coffey out there with a 5run lead Friday (yes, the other members of the pen have been less than steller, but this was a bad, bad move). It appears by this quote that he's finally ready to hand the ball over to Coffey in the 9th for good. Let's hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    Man I hope that's right about Coffey...we shouldn't have lost last night's game for many reasons but David Weathers allowed all the other mistakes to happen.
    Weathers pitched 2 innings last night so he is unavailable today. That is probably what he meant as opposed to Coffey being the closer.

Quote Originally Posted by big boy
    Weathers pitched 2 innings last night so he is unavailable today. That is probably what he meant as opposed to Coffey being the closer.
    That's a good point but Weathers has blown 4 saves this year already and sooner or later Narron is going to have enough. Or at least I think.

I hope not...it's time to realize that there is a playoff race going on.

Coffey will close from now on. I dont know its just something new with this team. Narron and Krivsky and Bob. In years past Womack would not have been cut with the team winning, same with Williams. We are all so used to the Reds just flat out making the wrong decisions. So far this year they have changed that though. I dont think this team can stay in it all year, I just dont think we have the pitching. Yet you still have to like the way it is being run much more than in years past.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    I hope not...it's time to realize that there is a playoff race going on.
    Perhaps. I am still trying to understand why Coffey got into Friday's game with a big lead. Narron's use of the bullpen is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    Coffey will close from now on. I dont know its just something new with this team. Narron and Krivsky and Bob. In years past Womack would not have been cut with the team winning, same with Williams. We are all so used to the Reds just flat out making the wrong decisions. So far this year they have changed that though. I dont think this team can stay in it all year, I just dont think we have the pitching. Yet you still have to like the way it is being run much more than in years past.
    I agree, but I also believe that ownership will add to the pitching staff in the next month or so. Will it be enough to contend? I don't know, but I'm hopeful for the first time in years.

Perhaps. I am still trying to understand why Coffey got into Friday's game with a big lead. Narron's use of the bullpen is interesting.
    It was really ass-backwards. Why put Coffey in the 8th and use Hammond in the 9th? If he knew Coffey was only going to pitch one inning then why not use Hammond in the 8th and bring Hammond or someone else back out for the 9th? And then use Coffey only if there is trouble. I don't get it. It probably cost us last night's game. At least we did win the game with Coffey on Friday night. One is better than none......I guess.

saboforthird

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    I too hope that Coffey becomes the closer. Still, I don't think that David Weathers was responsible for Felipe Lopez's skippsy-doo throw from SS to somearound the on-deck circle.

saboforthird

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    EXACTLY! I don't feel the Reds are going to win it this year, either. Heck, the Cardinals are demonstrating right now that they're the team to beat in the NL Central. It took everything the Reds had to get that first place lead, but seemingly the Cardinals are just doing it on automatic pilot. I feel jilted in a way. It's like the Cardinals were just teasing us.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    It was really ass-backwards. Why put Coffey in the 8th and use Hammond in the 9th? If he knew Coffey was only going to pitch one inning then why not use Hammond in the 8th and bring Hammond or someone else back out for the 9th? And then use Coffey only if there is trouble. I don't get it. It probably cost us last night's game. At least we did win the game with Coffey on Friday night. One is better than none......I guess.
    It is not the inning you shouldbe looking at, but batters faced. Narron has stated before that he will bring in Coffey in the more important situation, whether he deems it the 7th, 8th or 9th.

Shelton, Thames and Monroe, even though they were the bottom of the order, were responsible for 3 of the 4 Tiger runs that night. Narron recognized the threat, and tried to abate it, and did.

If Burns or Hammond had been brought in, who knows what tune we may be singing? Who is to say that Granderson doesn't hit it off Coffey as well?
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    It is not the inning you shouldbe looking at, but batters faced. Narron has stated before that he will bring in Coffey in the more important situation, whether he deems it the 7th, 8th or 9th.

Shelton, Thames and Monroe, even though they were the bottom of the order, were responsible for 3 of the 4 Tiger runs that night. Narron recognized the threat, and tried to abate it, and did.

If Burns or Hammond had been brought in, who knows what tune we may be singing? Who is to say that Granderson doesn't hit it off Coffey as well?
    I understand Narron's rationale behind bringing Coffey in to face the best hitters. But with a 5-run lead I would like to see Coffey saved for tighter situations. It's really sad that Narron has absolutely no confidence in any other reliever. You can understand why, but it's still sad. Any of the Nasty Boys still pitching...lol?

Quote Originally Posted by saboforthird
    I too hope that Coffey becomes the closer. Still, I don't think that David Weathers was responsible for Felipe Lopez's skippsy-doo throw from SS to somearound the on-deck circle.
    Sure he was. Weathers gave up the tying home run in the 9th that led to the 10th inning.

Turn Off Ads?