Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5/21 Minor League game updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 5/21 Minor League game updates

Chick turns 22 next month.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I also would not say Wood is outpitching Ward. Their numbers are very comparable outside of Wood strikes out more and gives up a ton more home runs.

Aronchis, you are the king of pessimism when it comes to starting pitching prospects. I would love to know how you know about the secondary pitches of Chick, Avery, Lecure, Ward, Stevens, Fisher etc. Have you actually seen these guys pitch or are you guessing from their stats?(just wondering) Because despite Chick's last bad start (3ip 7er) he is 2-0 with a 2.88era 29k's and 11bb in 34.1ip, which are great numbers, especially for a 21 year-old in AA. Also, you told me once in a minor league game update thread that "Lecure's breaking pitch was flat again." Were you at the game? do you have a source? Just curious. And I agree with dougdirt, these guys are not necessarily #1 or 2 starters, but are all good prospects and could be in the Reds' rotation in the future.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10
    Because despite Chick's last bad start (3ip 7er) he is 2-0 with a 2.88era 29k's and 11bb in 34.1ip, which are great numbers, especially for a 21 year-old in AA.
    Chick's been slated for bullpen duty since when he came over in the trade with San Diego due to his lack of an off-speed pitch to complement a nice fastball and hard slider. He's a guy that Mario Soto should've been assigned to as a "pet project" in Florida this spring -- work with the kid until you get him throwing a changeup.

I agree that it's too soon to give up on him -- but he's gotta learn that 3rd pitch if he's going to have any chance of being a starter. So far, I haven't heard anything about it, though.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Chick's been slated for bullpen duty since when he came over in the trade with San Diego due to his lack of an off-speed pitch to complement a nice fastball and hard slider. He's a guy that Mario Soto should've been assigned to as a "pet project" in Florida this spring -- work with the kid until you get him throwing a changeup.

I agree that it's too soon to give up on him -- but he's gotta learn that 3rd pitch if he's going to have any chance of being a starter. So far, I haven't heard anything about it, though.
    Does Chick have a developing changeup or does he not throw one at all, or do you know? All I know is he is 21 and in AA, and dominating despite one start. If he is doing this to AA hitters with 2 pitches, he is better than I thought, and when he does develop a 3rd pitch, he will be more dominant.
    Last edited by tbball10; 05-22-2006 at 12:05 AM.

Aronchis, you are the king of pessimism when it comes to starting pitching prospects. I would love to know how you know about the secondary pitches of Chick, Avery, Lecure, Ward, Stevens, Fisher etc. Have you actually seen these guys pitch or are you guessing from their stats?(just wondering) Because despite Chick's last bad start (3ip 7er) he is 2-0 with a 2.88era 29k's and 11bb in 34.1ip, which are great numbers, especially for a 21 year-old in AA. Also, you told me once in a minor league game update thread that "Lecure's breaking pitch was flat again." Were you at the game? do you have a source? Just curious. And I agree with dougdirt, these guys are not necessarily #1 or 2 starters, but are all good prospects and could be in the Reds' rotation in the future.
    I gain the observations by other Reds sites who saw them live or on TV and post-game footage. I then pass it on to this board tbball.

I wouldn't overly go into "Pessimism", but the reality of the situation is that college arms that don't produce quickly, don't produce later on most of the time. The clock is ticking....................

In other words he's just like the rest of us, not really sure.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

All good discussions need differing viewpoints. Though I don't always agree with Aronchris, I do appreciate his contributions. I think we should take what everyone says with a grain of salt and avoid judging anyone's particular viewpoint. After all, a pessimist is a realist when he's right and an optimist is a blind fool when he's wrong. But any Reds' fan is always a friend of mine.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion
    All good discussions need differing viewpoints. Though I don't always agree with Aronchris, I do appreciate his contributions. I think we should take what everyone says with a grain of salt and avoid judging anyone's particular viewpoint. After all, a pessimist is a realist when he's right and an optimist is a blind fool when he's wrong. But any Reds' fan is always a friend of mine.
    I agree. I'm very glad he shares his opinion, I was just wondering where he got his info (what sites)? I just disagree with him in this case.

I agree. I'm very glad he shares his opinion, I was just wondering where he got his info (what sites)? I just disagree with him in this case.
    Cincinnati.com, Reds Reporter,Redszone for starters, try going around to some of the prospects sites that follow these guys. Some of the info is in post-game articles. My comment from Bailey "drifting" his foot when throwing his breaking pitch was actually from a story after his second no-hitter when Homer admitted it was a problem. Then actual footage on Bailey, which was posted on this site a few weeks ago, it shows Bailey doing exactly that, floating his leg on his curve.

Note: I bet Bailey's "miscue" on his curve drives the pitching coach nuts, since it is more mental than anything else..........

i just watched the videos and i think i saw what you meant. do you mean the right foot hanging up in the air longer on his curveball (after the pitch)?

Turn Off Ads?