Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5/21 Minor League game updates

Re: 5/21 Minor League game updates

Travis Wood is done after 5.1 innings.
    Bo Lanier is coming in to relieve Wood. Lainer promtply gets a double play on his first pitch to end the inning.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Travis Woods final line: 5.1 ip, 1 hit, 3bb, 7k, 0 runs.

Chattanooga won 4-1. Travis Chick got the win. David Shafer picked up his 13th save of the year.

Heading to the 5th, Sarasota is in a 0-0 tie. Brandon Roberts has the only hit for the Reds. James Avery has gone 4 innings, allowed 2 hits, 0 walks and struck out 3.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Travis Woods final line: 5.1 ip, 1 hit, 3bb, 7k, 0 runs.
    Every night I say a prayer that his arm is going to hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    Every night I say a prayer that his arm is going to hold up.
    Its good to see 2 good young arms in our system - and let's hope their good stats are indicators of future success.

Wood : 43 1/3 IP - 31 hits - 50 Ks - 19 yrs old
    Bailey: 45 IP - 34 hits - 52 Ks - 20 yrs old

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    Its good to see 2 good young arms in our system - and let's hope their good stats are indicators of future success.

Wood : 43 1/3 IP - 31 hits - 50 Ks - 19 yrs old
    Bailey: 45 IP - 34 hits - 52 Ks - 20 yrs old
    And I hope a few college SPs get drafted in a few weeks so they can all arrive within a year or two from each other. Things will be looking up.

The Reds actually have quite a few pitching prospects in the system. Not a ton with Ace type potential, but quite a few with rotation potential.

The Reds actually have quite a few pitching prospects in the system. Not a ton with Ace type potential, but quite a few with rotation potential.
    After Bailey,Wood and Cueto, it falls of majorly however. Lecure is sorta in the middle and is still adapting, but the rest look like bullpen pitchers(Avery,Ward) and Stevens looks like a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    After Bailey,Wood and Cueto, it falls of majorly however. Lecure is sorta in the middle and is still adapting, but the rest look like bullpen pitchers(Avery,Ward) and Stevens looks like a failure.
    Wow some of these guys don't even have a whole year under their belts and they are considered failures as starters. Tough crowd, tough crowd

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    Wow some of these guys don't even have a whole year under their belts and they are considered failures as starters. Tough crowd, tough crowd
    For College pitchers like Avery,Ward and Stevens, you don't have much time. It is either putup, find your role or leave baseball. These guys are 22-23, not alot of time. A 19 year old lefty like Valliquette can stink for couple years before he is required to turn it on, but not a 22 year old pitcher like Stevens.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

For College pitchers like Avery,Ward and Stevens, you don't have much time. It is either putup, find your role or leave baseball. These guys are 22-23, not alot of time. A 19 year old lefty like Valliquette can stink for couple years before he is required to turn it on, but not a 22 year old pitcher like Stevens.
    22? With a pitcher, you can hold out on them until 25-26. He has three more years, even if he posts middling numbers.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Ward seems to be making strides forward. Ward is striking out over 10.5 per/9 in May, his WHIP is 1.02 this month, and his walk rate has dropped. Remember, he didnt pitch at all last year after the college season was over.

Aronchis, I think you just want to much to fast. You have given up on a 21 year old in AA (Chick), and well everyone else in our entire system that isnt Bailey, Wood, Ceuto or possibly Lecure. Unless you are taking a guy from college with a top 5 pick, they take time to develop. Thats just how it works.

Ward seems to be making strides forward. Ward is striking out over 10.5 per/9 in May, his WHIP is 1.02 this month, and his walk rate has dropped. Remember, he didnt pitch at all last year after the college season was over.

Aronchis, I think you just want to much to fast. You have given up on a 21 year old in AA (Chick), and well everyone else in our entire system that isnt Bailey, Wood, Ceuto or possibly Lecure. Unless you are taking a guy from college with a top 5 pick, they take time to develop. Thats just how it works.
    I have given up on Chick(who turns 22 soon)? I never said that, but I think he has a bullpen future. He doesn't have any real good secondary pitch that he can use confidently. I feel the same with Avery.

I am just commenting how the college guys are getting outpitched by the younger pitchers. Wood and Cueto have outpitched Ward/Stevens to this point. That isn't good, much like Bruce outplaying BJ. Their future doesn't look as good. Ward should be mowing down low A caliber talent with his supposed "stuff", but his last start was the first time he showed signs of doing just that and he still gave up 2 runs. He is struggling as a 22 year old in low A.

I am not confident in Terry Renyolds "small school" pitching history either. He had plenty of college pitcher drafted from small school's flop with the Dodgers.

I would stay with Bailey,Wood and Cueto, keep Lecure in mind and forget the rest except the ones that can move to the pen. Not a deep crop dirt, something we will just have to accept.

Aaron Harang didnt debut until he was 24.
    Brandon Webb didnt debut until he was 24.
    John Patterson didnt debut until he was 24.

Those were off the top of my head...I am sure there are more.

Turn Off Ads?