Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2-7 last nine, 5-10 last 15 games - why?

GOREDSGO32

2-7 last nine, 5-10 last 15 games - why?

I don't have stats, I don't know if its selective thinknig but I think there have been an AWFUL lot of late inning losses - games that were either tied late innings and we lost, or we blew a lead, or we lost in extras.

1-2 versus Arizona
    2-1 versus Washington (Griffey's HR saved this series)
    0-3 versus Phillies
    1-2 versus Pirates
    1-2 versus Tigers

How many games were tied or with a lead in late innings (7th and later) during this stretch that we lost? I know Weathers has THREE straight BS's.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2-7 last nine, 5-10 last 15 games - why?

Why?

Becuase we simply haven't improved all that much from last year. We are not that good. We just aren't.

I'd love to believe we are, the hot start in april was great, but didn't fool me. They got heart, they play hard, but they are just not there yet. They're a lot more fun to watch this year though. Just give it some time. Krivs is a man who seemingly knows what he's doing, he's made some shrewd and astute moves. But he's only been here 3-4 months. You can't wave a magic wand and have this team be a contender by adding 1 league average pitcher in Arroyo. Its gonna take a few more of those, an actual bullpen, and some consistency.

Next year, after the draft, trade deadline, and offseason, I think we'll be in much better shape. Bank on it. And enjoy watching how Krivs and Cast turn around this once proud franchise.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Exactly.

Enjoy being in the race for however long we are in it, and you just have to hope guys like BP, EE, Felipe, Kearns, Dunn, etc (all the young guys) keep improving.

Hopefully we stay in the race, but I am not banking on it. Krivs knows what he is doing, he just needs a full off-season to do it. Don't worry our time will come, but for now just enjoy watching baseball.
    Last edited by reds44; 05-21-2006 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Exactly.

Enjoy being in the race for however long we are in it, and you just have to hope guys like BP, EE, Felipe, Kearns, Dunn, etc (all the young guys) keep improving.

Hopefully we stay in the race, but I am not banking on it. Krivs knows what he is doing, he just needs a full off-season to do it. Don't worry our time will come, but for know just enjoy watching baseball.
    Agreed. I want to believe that Kriv is searching for BP help and he will get it as long as it's out there. But I am enjoying the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    Agreed. I want to believe that Kriv is searching for BP help and he will get it as long as it's out there. But I am enjoying the ride.
    It's not easy finding BP from outside the organization this early in the year because the majority of teams still think they have a shot at winning this year.

It's not easy finding BP from outside the organization this early in the year because the majority of teams still think they have a shot at winning this year.
    Since it is our #1 need right now, he should still be looking. And if we aren't going to use Deno to our benefit, we should be dangling him to teams who could use him. NYY comes to mind, since all 3 OFs are hurting right now. Same with LA.

You would get more by trading Griffey or Kearns the Deno.

because the team wasn't as good as their early record. Regression to the mean.

You would get more by trading Griffey or Kearns the Deno.
    No one will take on Grif. And no problem trading Kearns as long as we get some young, good pitching. Cannot be young OR good. Has to be both.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    No one will take on Grif. And no problem trading Kearns as long as we get some young, good pitching. Cannot be young OR good. Has to be both.
    The Yanks would give you something decent for Griffey.

The Yanks would give you something decent for Griffey.
    They don't have much and they are hanging on to it, they also have no need for JR, they are already loaded down with OF's who need to DH.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    They don't have much and they are hanging on to it, they also have no need for JR, they are already loaded down with OF's who need to DH.
    Not if he would agree to move to the corner outfielder. I doubt he would agree to New York anyway since he doesn't like the Yanks, and he would have to switch positions.

Not if he would agree to move to the corner outfielder. I doubt he would agree to New York anyway since he doesn't like the Yanks, and he would have to switch positions.
    If Kriv could get something useful for KGJ then I would be all for it.

My point is this:

Back when we got Griff, I' had a lot of hope at the beginning of each year, and unfortunately had that dwindle year after year after year when it became evident Ownership didn't care about winning, didn't acquire pitching, lied about 2003 being the year because we got a new stadium, hired a bonehead in Obrien after, and watched this franchise - one that was in good position just in 99 to have a good contender for several years - come crashing to its knees...

We've all been bitter. Very bitter. We expect better from Cincinnati baseball, and righly so.

Here is what I can say about Krivs, Cast, and this year for the Reds. I can finally say I feel good about this franchise. I finally feel faith being restored in my team. I can feel it in my gut... We fans are going to be rewarded for our pennence. But its not going to come overnight, because Lindner and Obrien burned this team to the ground. This year is a stepping stone, and if we're in it and everything falls into place, then its merely a bonus that more than any of us should ever have realistically hoped for.

Finally, there is light at the end of the tunnel... the clouds are parting..
    Last edited by cincyinco; 05-21-2006 at 05:52 PM.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I was pretty sure KGJ had said in an interview last year or year before that these days he would feel different about NY, he doesn't hold the same animosity against the Yankees that he once did...

But, I'm too lazy to search for the link... someone has to know what i'm referring to.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?