Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Buster Olney headed to rehab

Buster Olney headed to rehab

That's my best guess as to the reasoning behind his thought process...from his blog today.

Veteran lefty Dave Williams was designated for assignment by the Reds on Saturday, and here are all the reasons why it makes all the sense in the world for the Mets to make a deal for him:

• It wouldn't cost them much more than the prorated portion of the $1.4 million he is making in salary. The Reds probably would be thrilled to simply rid themselves of the contract. At a time when the Mets don't want to trade top prospects, and may prefer not to try to count on pitchers who have never worked above Class AA, Williams would seem to be a sound mid-level gamble. If he flames out and continues to struggle -- so far this year, he has a 7.20 ERA -- then it would only cost the Mets a bit of cash.

• Williams is only 27 and he generally has been at least adequate for much of his career, accumulating a 4.56 ERA in his 74 games (66 starts).

• Williams is much better suited pitching for the Mets, in spacious Shea Stadium, than he was pitching in Cincinnati, because he has an acute tendency toward generating fly balls. This season, he has an groundball-flyball ratio of 0.72, and last year, he was at 0.90.

The quality the Mets need more than any for the back end of their rotation is to have someone who is not overwhelmed. Williams might be that guy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Buster Olney headed to rehab

If the other option is Lima..I don't think he's wrong
    Go Gators!

Jose Lima or Dave Williams. No Question.

Start scanning the roster of your Binghamton Mets.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Jose Lima or Dave Williams. No Question.

Start scanning the roster of your Binghamton Mets.
    Has everyone forgotten what Williams looked like in Cincy? I'd be more than happy to see the Mets pick up Williams.

lol..

shades of swindling kazmir for zambrano..

c'mon Krivs.. go get us Pelfry.. lol! Omar will sell the farm the magic beans... all the time.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Send Heath Bell and they can have him and I would even pay most of his salary if I was the Reds

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Actually I honestly think Williams ends up with the Mets for a PTBNL. It really is a no risk move for the Mets...and compared to Lima Time, you bet I'd take Williams.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Actually I honestly think Williams ends up with the Mets for a PTBNL. It really is a no risk move for the Mets...and compared to Lima Time, you bet I'd take Williams.
    I really think the Mets would be willing to part with a pitcher like Bell who isn't going to break into a pen with Julio, Sanchez and Heilman. In addition, Bell is no longer a youngster

Speaking of Heilman...

Theres your BP arm.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    Speaking of Heilman...

Theres your BP arm.
    heck I'd put him in the rotation. The Mets are just being stupid at this point, he would be there 3rd best starter.

I would look to try and pry Julio from the Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    heck I'd put him in the rotation. The Mets are just being stupid at this point, he would be there 3rd best starter.
    Sure enough... so long as we both agree he'd be a damn fine return on someone like Williams.. :P Shucks, I'd even add a "prospect" to Williams to get the deal done.. PTBNL? heh.

-Hunter S. Thompson

The Mets are not going to give the Reds anything of immediate value for Williams if they really are interested. A low level prospect or a non-factor. Only way they get something is if Williams is just one player of a multi player deal.

Turn Off Ads?