Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you deal Bronson?

Would you deal Bronson?

From my vantage point this is all theoretical as I don't know individual team's system depth. I'll also add that I've never considered this team to be a contender and would put all of my emphasis into next year and beyond.

So, eventhough Bronson is locked up for a couple more years and is inexpensive, would you deal him for two high pitching prospects who could become contributors immediately for the Reds. I would think the ideal trading partner would have solid organizational depth at pitching but lacks that "post-season" presence that Arroyo can offer. Not a team like the Yanks. Also, being inexpensive opens up an entire worls of clubs that wouldn't be able or want to afford a one year rental.

I was personally never high on Arroyo and while he's had some great games to date, I don't like what I've seen the last few outings and would expect him to fall to his career norms sooner rather than later.

The whole premise behind this would be a 2 (at least) for one with the guys coming to the Reds ready to pitch and pitch well in the majors, not high A guys. Anyone willing to make such a move? If so, who fits the mold?
    This place use to be fun

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you deal Bronson?

No.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

No.

Bronson's young enough. Looks like the move back to the NL has helped him.

I do not want to be in an infinite state of rebuilding. Bronson should be a fixture in this rotation for years to come.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Depends on the return. I would think he'd be worth quite a bit right now.

Unless they somehow believe he isn't a good pitcher, I don't think you can trade a guy who is locked up for a very affordable rate and has given up the numbers he has so far this season.

As always, if there is something that knocks our socks off, then sure you do.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Man Pills

I see no urgency to get rid of him.

Trade him to the Yankees for Kelly Stinnett.

A team like the Mets might want him after Zambrano going down and then having to have Lima take his spot.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

It really depends on the team's situation at the time. If it's the trading deadline and the Reds are 12 games out, maybe I would. Any chance of contention whatsoever... he stays.

Given his contract, it's probably wisest for Arroyo to stay no matter what, but Wayne's got to make a deal if the right one is out there, no matter who the player.

We finally get our hands on a good, inexpensive and fairly young pitcher and we're talking about dealing him. Its not as if your going to get a better pitcher just by dealing Arroyo and what have we got in the cupboard.

He's a career 4+ ERA type guy, not a true ace. I'd sell at his currently over valued market price if I could extract my pound of flesh from a desperate contender. His attractive contract and early season numbers should make that an easy sell for a good GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    We finally get our hands on a good, inexpensive and fairly young pitcher and we're talking about dealing him. Its not as if your going to get a better pitcher just by dealing Arroyo and what have we got in the cupboard.
    He isn't fairly young, he is at his peek. Don't overestimate his potential. Bronson isn't a 20 game 3.00ERA pitcher.

Bronson should be traded if Krivsky's "real" timetable says he should be traded. The Reds may deal Pena through Bronson.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    He isn't fairly young, he is at his peek. Don't overestimate his potential. Bronson isn't a 20 game 3.00ERA pitcher.

Bronson should be traded if Krivsky's "real" timetable says he should be traded. The Reds may deal Pena through Bronson.
    He's 30ish and I'm not saying he is going to get better but he is worth 3-4 mil for the pitching he gives. Yes he is not going to be a Schilling, Johnson or Martinez in their prime but he is a great pitcher for the price. If the REDS keep trading guys just for more potential they're never going to go anywhere. You could say the same thing about Dunn, he's a great hitter but he doesn't have great speed nor is he a great defender but are you going to trade him for someone with more potential - I say NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    If the REDS keep trading guys just for more potential they're never going to go anywhere.
    Where are they going as currently constructed?

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Absolutely.... IF there's a great market for him.

1. His ERA will be closer to 5 than 2 by the end of the year

2. we're not going to make the post season with or without him

3. Good lefthanded hitters will adjust to him the second time around the league
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

The idea is that if you have something acceptable then keep it. I'm pretty sure plenty of teams would love a guy who can go out there win about 10-15 games a season and pitch 200 innings for 3-4 mil and thats the kind a pitcher the REDS need as well (actually all MLB teams). I think the REDS have enough in the pot that they really need to look at the farm system and see who they need and who they want to keep. They also know that there are a few others in the big league team who may or may not get moved on at the trade deadline. Admittedly your not gonig to get your ACE from those but you may get some of that potential your looking for.

Turn Off Ads?