Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has Adam Dunn's performance been beaten to death yet?

Has Adam Dunn's performance been beaten to death yet?

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Starting a new thread or post to advertise a personal web site. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.
    It seems like there are about 10 new threads or more a day popping up about Adam Dunn. It's getting real old really fast. At times, it makes me not want to even open up threads here, because even topics that have nothing to do with Adam Dunn tend to have posts in them complaining about Adam Dunn. It's depressing.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Has Adam Dunn's performance been beaten to death yet?

Adam's head seems to be elsewhere at times in some games this season, otherwise he's just in a slump.

I dunno, I KNOW he'll be ok and work out of this rut he's in.

And yes i agree, there is WAY TO MUCH player bashing here, kills me when peeps talk about "so n so shouldnt bat here cause......." or "so n so shoulnt start because........"

Its great to have an opinion, but we all cheer for the SAME team, to do the SAME thing.. and thats WIN!!!!!!!!!!

No matter who we field that day, no matter who we Start on the mound, no matter WHO comes in to PH late in a game we all want the SAME result, from whatever player it is. TO WIN!!!!

I say cheer on that player, lets here WHY he should be batting 4th, or why he should be starting today. I'm sure theres a reason for it all or Narron wouldnt write em in that way
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

I've said previously that there's always one player that seems untouchable for discussion. Anytime someone discusses that player, it's like sparking a flint. The player used to be Griffey, now it's Dunn.

Although I haven't been as deeply involved in all the threads as I have in past years, I do have an observation.

For every player "basher", there are as many defenders turning these threads into long bitter arguments. Not blaming either side. I have friends on both sides and it makes me a little sad.

There's no solution that mods or admins can impose other than consolidating threads. It's a discussion board. Folks are going to discuss players on the team. Opinions are going to differ. I wish people would discuss, debate or ignore without the ugliness.

If you have a negative comment about Dunn, post it constructively. (Leave the "sucks" BS out). If someone comments on Dunn, don't get so sensitive about it. Debate it. If you're tired of the same debate ..... close the thread and walk away. You'll live longer.

We're all adults, respect goes a long way.

Leave the ugliness for the cincy.coms.
    Last edited by TeamCasey; 05-22-2006 at 08:16 AM.

It is obvious that it has.

After observing yet another broadside on Dunn over on Live, I can safely say I am done with that portion of the site for awhile, and will back off on this side. WOY, M2, OBM and others make the same reasoned responses, and are ignored or belittled. It gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal

After observing yet another broadside on Dunn over on Live, I can safely say I am done with that portion of the site for awhile, and will back off on this side. WOY, M2, OBM and others make the same reasoned responses, and are ignored or belittled. It gets old.
    Its a combination of a fast start paced by above-average norms divided by new posters plus a losing streak.

For you mathematicians - its the "RedsZone May Theorem" where FS is a Fast Start, AAN is above average norms, NP is New Posters, and LS is losing streak.

(FS+AAN)/(NP+LS)=Whining.
    Last edited by Heath; 05-22-2006 at 09:28 AM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

You are no doubt right, there are plenty of good explanations for it, but that doesn't change the fact that the new posters who scream "Dunn sucks" unendingly have begun to affect my enjoyment of the team at the moment. I flinch when he's up, knowing that every out will be magnified 1000 times by anti-Dunn people on here.

There are precious few who have been realists about this team from the outset, so there are few who are equipped to ride out the ups and downs without starting 10,000,000 Dunn sucks threads or trying to deal him for Chien Wang.

Long view is needed with baseball. Chat boards are notoriously short on long view. So the bad times are magnified, I know all that.

It's just that the Dunn stuff has reached such a crescendo, it drowns out everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal

Then cyclone makes a nice statistical based formula with facts about Dunn and it gets punted by post #4.

Yikes.

It has grown tiresome. As a whole the board seems to have taken a negative tone. A few wins start to lessen it, but then two losses in a row and everyone on the team sucks, doesn't matter if they were an All-Star, a Hall of Famer, or a backup, everyone of them needs to be jettisoned for the first available warm body.

This team has problems, from top to bottom. I think every single team in baseball does. I do think they are going to hang near the upper half of the division all season rather than the bottom half, so the constant bashing and calling to trade, bench, or swap positions for every player has to stop, especially when it's all been posted a thousand times already.

We know Dunn K's a lot, we know FeLo commits some errors, and we know Griffey has lost a step [or three] but talking about it every time one of them comes up to bat isn't going to change it one iota.

Also, last time I checked, not many of us were bringing in paychecks for our baseball knowledge, so it's not up to us to decide.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    It has grown tiresome. As a whole the board seems to have taken a negative tone. A few wins start to lessen it, but then two losses in a row and everyone on the team sucks, doesn't matter if they were an All-Star, a Hall of Famer, or a backup, everyone of them needs to be jettisoned for the first available warm body.

This team has problems, from top to bottom. I think every single team in baseball does. I do think they are going to hang near the upper half of the division all season rather than the bottom half, so the constant bashing and calling to trade, bench, or swap positions for every player has to stop, especially when it's all been posted a thousand times already.

We know Dunn K's a lot, we know FeLo commits some errors, and we know Griffey has lost a step [or three] but talking about it every time one of them comes up to bat isn't going to change it one iota.

Also, last time I checked, not many of us were bringing in paychecks for our baseball knowledge, so it's not up to us to decide.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    But Randy, aren't there pictures of you in a Reds Uni somewhere?

I fought the battle w/BF (Prose) for 2 seasons on mlb.com. I don't even bother with the Dunn arguement anymore. He is what he is.

But there is a negative tone on the board. For example, B. Phillips has a few bad days at the plate and all of the sudden there's a post about him being a "black hole" in the lineup. Even though he leads the team in RBIs. That's more frustrating to me then the Dunn stuff. Dunn is and always will be a lightning rod for discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    But Randy, aren't there pictures of you in a Reds Uni somewhere?
    Yeah, but I payed for that uniform.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    I fought the battle w/BF (Prose) for 2 seasons on mlb.com. I don't even bother with the Dunn arguement anymore. He is what he is.

But there is a negative tone on the board. For example, B. Phillips has a few bad days at the plate and all of the sudden there's a post about him being a "black hole" in the lineup. Even though he leads the team in RBIs. That's more frustrating to me then the Dunn stuff. Dunn is and always will be a lightning rod for discussion.
    After this bad streak, the Reds (this is MAY still, BTW) are leading the wild-card AND Brandon Phillips leads this team in RBI's.

Wow.

For six seasons, six parts of seasons or for six long years the Griffey/Dunn debate has been debated with great passion and re-debated, surely the subject has been covered thoroughly and exhausted within a six year time frame as is being suggested by the previous posters within. Surely the debate results are in by now, the only thing left is for the debate winner, pro or con to be announced and to move on to a new subject. Time has gone by, so who won the debate? I think the anti/con group was right.

Adam Dunn is a polarizing player. Both sides get a little bit out of hand at times. Half the board thinks he sucks, half the board seems to think he's going to be an all-time great.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Adam Dunn is a very good power hitter, but only a decent overall player. He's like a G-Unit medallion. He's shiny, looks good, and you can brag that you have him, but when it comes down to it, what does he really provide?

BABIP is a pointless stat. If you're down by two in the ninth with two on, you HAVE to put the ball in play. All too often he won't. And until he does that he won't evolve into anything but a good power hitter. I don't ever want to hear or see that stat again.

The blind Adam Dunn hatred is annoying, but so is the blind Dunn love. There's more to baseball than OPS. Adam Dunn is a pretty solid player, no more, no less.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Turn Off Ads?