Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Narron not the source of Dunn bunt

Narron not the source of Dunn bunt

From the Dayton Daily News:

"The score was 0-0 and Austin Kearns was hit by a pitch with no outs. Dunn bunted, his second career sacrifice bunt and first since May 16, 2002.
    In the dugout, Narron was dumbfounded, shocked, stunned. In the Detroit dugout, manager Jim Leyland was dancing and shouting, "Amen and hallelujah.
    "I'm disappointed, really disappointed," said Narron. "If we were down two runs with nobody out, I can see Dunn trying to bunt for a hit. But he was the winning run and I would have loved to have seen him swing the bat. I was the most shocked person in the ball park.
    "Do you think I'm going to have Adam Dunn bunt? For us to win, we can't do stupid things and that's what we did at the end of the game, as simple as that," Narron added."
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Narron not the source of Dunn bunt

I don't want to bash Dunn on this, even though this was the wrong time to bunt, but it is nice to see Narron calling out his players for making ridiculous mistakes. No one is above being held accountable for their mistakes, including Dunn.

Another thought just occurred to me. Is Dunn losing his confidence? He's obviously in a slump, but I don't think Dunn should ever bunt in that situation, even if he's struck out 15 times in a row. I want Dunn up there swinging away with the thought that he could win this thing win one swing. Also, Kearns was pitched around in the 4th to get to Dunn with the bases loaded. We all know the result, but what do you think Dunn was thinking? 'Walking Kearns to get to me'? Then he K's.....his confidence has to be at a career low. Not a good sign.

Adam Dunn was bunting for a hit, because no one would have expected it. Even Marty was impressed. A few inches over (according to the radio anyway) and it was a hit.

Sometimes things out of the ordinary jumpstarts you. Maybe that's what Dunn's trying to do.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Adam Dunn was bunting for a hit, because no one would have expected it. Even Marty was impressed. A few inches over (according to the radio anyway) and it was a hit.

Sometimes things out of the ordinary jumpstarts you. Maybe that's what Dunn's trying to do.
    Common sense, Heath? I like common sense.

It's pretty obvious that he read the "Reds need to bunt more" thread on ORG.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    Another thought just occurred to me. Is Dunn losing his confidence? He's obviously in a slump, but I don't think Dunn should ever bunt in that situation, even if he's struck out 15 times in a row. I want Dunn up there swinging away with the thought that he could win this thing win one swing. Also, Kearns was pitched around in the 4th to get to Dunn with the bases loaded. We all know the result, but what do you think Dunn was thinking? 'Walking Kearns to get to me'? Then he K's.....his confidence has to be at a career low. Not a good sign.
    Nate Robertson has a .551 OPS vs lefties this year and .751 vs righties. That's why he pitched around Kearns.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I agree with Narron 110%. It was DUMB. Nobody will change my mind about that and its one of the major reasons im going to boycott watching the reds for a week.

Its more for my own sanity than it is to take it to the man. Im not trying to be a "i quit" type of Reds fan. Its a "man...they are going to drive me into an episode of 'Cops'" and that Dunn bunt JUST about put me over the edge.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Dunn needs a couple of days off. His head is messed up more than his swing (two dingers in the DET series).
    Bring up Ross, give him a start or two in LF. Let Dunn see that the team can play without him and let him chill a bit. When he gets back into the lineup hopefully he won't feel like the weight of the team is entirely on his shoulders.

And by doing that, you can give Kearns a day or two off also...because he needs to get his swing back.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Common sense, Heath? I like common sense.
    On top of that, I'm a Reds Fan. I need a psychiatric evaluation

Narron should fine Dunn for his action

I suspect that there are too many cooks in the kitchen re Dunn's hitting. I'm pretty sure that Narron or somebody else has been bugging Dunn about bunting around the shift. So, Dunn gives it a shot, and Narron calls him out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    A home run would have jumpstarted him even more.

Dunn bunting is like Harang throwing underhanded.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    A home run would have jumpstarted him even more.
    I said at the beginning of that sentence "Things out of the ordinary".

An Adam Dunn bunt-for-a-hit is out of the ordinary. Its like maple syrup on the condiment stand at the GABP. Would have a strikeout been better in that situation because he was "trying"? What's Adam's HR per AB ratio this year? Is it time for a HR?

I think it takes marbles to bunt in that situation. I also think that he saw something on the infield that would have made it easier to get on base via a bunt. I'm impressed he thought outside the box.

It's too bad it didn't work out. He's on a pace where every 7.5 times up anyway, he gets an out.

I thought productive outs were good things?

Turn Off Ads?