Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enquirer: Narron had no quarrel with the way Weathers pitched

Enquirer: Narron had no quarrel with the way Weathers pitched

From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

Narron had no quarrel with the way Weathers pitched.

"David Weathers pitched better than everyone gives him credit for," Narron said. "If you're going to let them tie it up on a home run, you want it to be to the opposite field, make him earn it."

Sorry, I almost spilled my coffee reading that one. Yeah, way to make em EARN those game-costing homeruns, Tackleberry....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Enquirer: Narron had no quarrel with the way Weathers pitched

of course that opp field HR was on a pitch above the belt and in the middle of the plate. Weathers doesn't have a pitch to get LH hitters out and is in trouble whenever he elevates his 88-90 mph fastball.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Dear Jerry Narron -

Curtis Granderson hit that home run. To Left Field. In Comerica Park. Where it is 345 feet away from home plate.

This isn't Al Kaline. Or Kirk Gibson. Or Hank Greenberg. Or Mickey Tettleton. This is Curtis Granderson.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Dear Jerry Narron -

Curtis Granderson hit that home run. To Left Field. In Comerica Park. Where it is 345 feet away from home plate.

This isn't Al Kaline. Or Kirk Gibson. Or Hank Greenberg. Or Mickey Tettleton. This is Curtis Granderson.
    ... and it was awful pitch location.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    ... and it was awful pitch location.
    Doubleday's 7th Law of Relief Pitcher-dynamics.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

IMHO, this team will never be a serious contender as long as Narron as it the helm.
    Just my two cents.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

David Weathers, the only reliever in the history of baseball to give up a two-out game tying home run on a poorly located pitch in the bottom of the ninth to a hitter with an unfamiliar name.

And word is that when/if we have a "closer," he will cough up some one run leads, also.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    David Weathers, the only reliever in the history of baseball to give up a two-out game tying home run on a poorly located pitch in the bottom of the ninth to a hitter with an unfamiliar name.

And word is that when/if we have a "closer," he will cough up some one run leads, also.
    Weathers is what he is. A decent middle releiver who can eat some innings. Hoping he would be more than that is folly but he is not the problem. He can be very effective in the proper role. The problem is that the bullpen has a number of guys without much of a reason to occupy a major league.

The real issue is that if Narron hadn't run Coffey out there Friday with a 5 run lead he would have been available to pitch Saturday. Narron needs to be called on the carpet for the asinine decision to pitch Coffey on Friday.

Weathers is a good relief pitcher, but not a great one. He just isn't the classic hammer out of the bullpen. I think he is somewhat mis-cast as a closer and is probably better suited as a set-up 7th/8th inning pitcher. But, to trot out a cliche, he's a pro and will take the ball if you hand it to him.

He has an average fastball that he changes speeds and location with. Most of the time he has success with it. Sometimes he doesn't.

In the longer look at things, Todd Coffey is better suited as a closer stuff-wise. I think Narron/Hume/etc are grooming him for that role but are doing it slowly. And that's OK with me.

But I don't know what "earning it" means. It was a little flukish, but the guy got enough bat on it for it to carry out opposite field. Which in my book is a pretty good hit.

Pay attention to the open sky

Weathers is what he is. A decent middle releiver who can eat some innings. Hoping he would be more than that is folly but he is not the problem. He can be very effective in the proper role. The problem is that the bullpen has a number of guys without much of a reason to occupy a major league.

The real issue is that if Narron hadn't run Coffey out there Friday with a 5 run lead he would have been available to pitch Saturday. Narron needs to be called on the carpet for the asinine decision to pitch Coffey on Friday.
    Bingo...To use Coffey up by 5 in Friday's game was not necessary. In those times, I would love to see more of Belisle and save Coffey for 1-2 run situations instead of burning him up in those type games.

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan
    Bingo...To use Coffey up by 5 in Friday's game was not necessary. In those times, I would love to see more of Belisle and save Coffey for 1-2 run situations instead of burning him up in those type games.
    if the Reds didn't have any other releivers who could hold a 5 run lead then that is a sure indication ... that they need different relief pitchers.

I don't think our pen is a strength, but we have Coffey at sub 1.00 era, Weathers, Merk and Belisle all in the mid 3's in era. I think Hammond has been much better since the opening 3 weeks of season...hoping he can pull a Weathers ala 2005 and be very respectable despite a poor start.

I just don't see why Narron can't give more shots to Weathers, Merk and especially Belisle in those situations not to mention Shack when it is just a lefty instead of burning up Coffey on games where we are in control.

It appears from Krivsky in the minors, he is eyeing Dumtrait, etc.. as potential bullpen guys this season.

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan
    I don't think our pen is a strength, but we have Coffey at sub 1.00 era, Weathers, Merk and Belisle all in the mid 3's in era.
    Mercker has been MIA for the season and Belisle, considering his multiple inning appearances, used so infrequently that they have had no impact.

Obviously Narron doesn't seem to trust most of them but he has to use them.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Werd to dat!
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Weathers is in a situation he isn't cut out to be in. CLOSER.

That's the issue...I am fine with him in this bullpen, but he is more suited for a different role.

It's time to roll the dice, and let Coffey take over the closer role.

Turn Off Ads?