Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Book recommendation: "Baseball between the numbers"

Glenn Braggs

Book recommendation: "Baseball between the numbers"

I recently had a look into it. Seems to cover a lot of interesting stuff, especially for the sabermetric interested folks. Just wanted to pass this along, as I have yet to read it completely.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/046...lance&n=283155

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Re: Book recommendation: "Baseball between the numbers"

I've got it. It's a little too number-heavy. It has good info, but it's a hard read. It's better as a reference type book instead of a cover to cover read.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Book recommendation: "Baseball between the numbers"

I would recommend this book as well. I picked it up for a vacation read last month.

It is number heavy, no doubt, but it has good essays to go with it.

It's not necessarily a cover to cover type of book, each chapter really doesn't have a whole lot to do with the previous ones.

But there are some good analysis works in there. Particurally, how Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds match up against one another, given the era changes and so on. Another, one of the more amusing, was what if Rickey Henderson had Pete Incaviglia's legs - essentially stating that over the long term, the worth of a stolen base is vastly overrated.

Good stuff all around. The 1st chapter has a really good "Intro to Advanced Baseball Stats" that I would recommend (and have to several friends) for anyone wanting to get into more of the baseball stat world. If they had an online version of it I would think it would be required reading around these parts.

Turn Off Ads?