Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Uh-Oh, my sanity now belongs to the Reds..

Worth The Wait

Uh-Oh, my sanity now belongs to the Reds..

I've made a living here (theoretically of course) of posting various musings about how my sports fandom (most notably the Reds) affects every waking hour of my being. I've posted about schedules on the wall, planning life events around games, etc.... I've done this to the amusement of some and the shock and awe of others. So, I thought I'd give you an update.....

My basketball team, the Cavs, finally played well into May. They gave me a great run, a wonderful distraction, and a glorious month of exciting playoff basketball. The future is bright, but there is always some sadness when the season ends.

During the Cavs run in April and May, I promised my wife that I would not "add" the Reds to my docket until the Cavs season officially came to an end. That doesn't mean I haven't been following the Reds, it just means I've been doing it on the DL. I am not paying for MLB Extra Innings for the first time since 1998, but I did get XM, and I already have plans to watch several games on MLB.TV. Actually, since the season started, I've probably been what a "normal" fan should be-- I've watched when convinient, caught innings here and there on the radio, spent some time following the gamecasts and game threads, and stayed abreast on the daily comings and goings of my team.

All along I figured the Cavs season would end and by that time the Reds would already be out of contention. I thought I could spend my summer simply relaxing by the pool and waiting for football season. I didn't think the Reds would give me any reason to care.

Well, the Cacs season ended yesterday, and here the Reds sit alone atop the wild card standings. Of course, they've played poorly enough over the past couple of weeks to make it clear that they probably won't stay there very long, but they are there nontheless. And therefore, I am trapped.

Seeing I am a year-round sports nut, my wife and I agreed to a "three games a week" rule. I am allowed to watch (or listen) to three games a week from start to finish no matter what. On the other days, I've got to pick my spots to check scores, etc... one good trick is to rush off to the computer every time my wife takes a shower, brushes her teeth, etc... but I digress..

My point here (not that there really is one) is that less than 24 hours following the end of the Cavs season, I am full on board with the Reds once again. I already have a schedule printed up on my fridge detailing each of my three games per week that I've chosen and how I will be following it (XM, MLBTV, or regular TV). It's a flat-out sickness I tell you. If the Reds were 15-30 right now, I'd know not to bother-- I'd know to just chill around Redszone and soak up a few baseball rays w/o investing my sanity into the mix. But no, they had to go out and play awesome for the first month, muddying any rational thoughts in my head.

All I know is that it's May 22nd, but it feels like opening day to me

We've been struggling lately and the back to back gut-wrenching losses in Detroit don't help. We've got the Brewers and D'backs....dare I say......this is a VERY IMPORTANT six game stretch.

I'm Back Baby!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Uh-Oh, my sanity now belongs to the Reds..

Reds > Cavs
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

On the plus side of the ledger, between the two Ohio teams playing in Detroit yesterday, the Reds' loss was less ugly than the Cavs' loss.

The Cavs had a nice run. I was hoping they'd be the team to keep the Pistons from a repeat visit to the Finals. I don't like having to rely on Shaq and Pat Riley for that now.

Worth The Wait

Yeah, the city of Detroit *(^*tch slapped me this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin
    Yeah, the city of Detroit *(^*tch slapped me this weekend
    They are really Canadians
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?