Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Do It Wayne (Fish shopping Willis)

Do It Wayne (Fish shopping Willis)

Marlins gauging interest for Willis
    Yankees, Mets, Diamondbacks all interested in acquiring left-hander

The Florida Marlins are reportedly shopping Dontrelle Willis, and the New York Yankees, New York Mets and Arizona Diamondbacks are among teams that are interested, published reports say.

A Yankees scout watched the left-hander pitch Sunday against the Devil Rays, the New York Post reported Monday.

Meanwhile, the Diamondbacks have talked with the Marlins about acquiring Willis (1-5) to bolster their rotation, the Arizona Republic reported on its website Monday. Arizona doesn't expect anything to happen soon, the newspaper reported.

The Marlins, who cut their payroll from $60 million to $15 million this offseason, are expected to seek prospects instead of major leaguers in any deal for Willis, who finished second in the NL Cy Young voting last season.

Willis, 24, will make $4.35 million this season.

MLB.com reported that most in the Marlins clubhouse don't expect the team to trade Willis, however.

The trading deadline is July 31.
    2006 NBC Sports.com

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12917997/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do It Wayne (Fish shopping Willis)

Although I would love to see something happen to get a pitcher like Willis, there is a reason the Reds aren't named in the article... Its just not going to happen. The Marlins will want too much for him.

Old Red Guard Reject

He'll be overpriced to begin with and the Reds can't match prospects with the Mets and DBacks. Forget it.

The Reds would have to gut an already skim milk thin farm system to get a guy like Willis. The Reds should be sellers rather than buyers come July.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    The Reds would have to gut an already skim milk thin farm system to get a guy like Willis. The Reds should be sellers rather than buyers come July.
    Not if they're contenders...

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

The Marlins have already cut payroll to the point where the whole thing is probably covered by what they get in revenue sharing. I think they are, pardon the pun, fishing -- trying to create a market where a talent-rich team like the Diamondbacks will overpay for him. And if it doesn't happen, they'll keep him.
    Not all who wander are lost

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Not if they're contenders...
    I agree with your argument, Matt, but dont think it will be the case. Just not enough pitching.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    I agree with your argument, Matt, but dont think it will be the case. Just not enough pitching.
    I hope you're wrong, but we have been down this road before...

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    So then why is trading for Willis a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    Dontrelle's 24 years-old. IMO, he'd be worth the gutting.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    So then why is trading for Willis a bad idea?
    We're talking about gutting the farm system for one guy. That's something an organization does when it's Our Year and you need that guy to get over the top and the heck with the future. Is that where we are? I don't think so. Can you honestly look at our club and say Dontrelle Willis is going to put us in the World Series?

Edit to speak to M2's post: Well, I guess it depends on exactly which players we're talking about. And how good the June draft looks. If I have confidence that there'll be more good prospects where they came from, I'd be less reluctant to turn loose of what we have.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Dontrelle's 24 years-old. IMO, he'd be worth the gutting.
    Exactly. It has been how long since the Reds produced a Willis type pitcher? Maybe Don Gullett in 1970? Take a chance, as the Reds did in 1999 when they went after Neagle and Vaughn, and try to generate interest in the team. Willis would also pack the house every time he'd pitch. Extra money could help the organization from top to bottom.

And, if the Reds are out of it in July, Willis could be dangled for an impressive package, though I'd rather keep him.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Notice which teams are asking for Willis: both NY teams and the Arizona D'Backs. Notice as well which teams are asking for Roger Clemens: both NY teams, Boston and Texas. My point? They can all write the big paycheck for Dontrelle. The Reds can't. That's another reason they won't pursue Willis.
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2006: 7-2
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2007: 2-0
    Reds record while I'm in attendance in 2008: 0-1
    "I wish the stadium was filled up every night." - Bronson Arroyo, Cincinnati Enquirer - February 9, 2007

We don't have the chips for that game
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    We don't have the chips for that game
    Even if we did, I don't think Willis is honestly worth it. His mechanics, or lack thereof scare the bejesus out of me, and he's more of the parlor trick or circus act variety at this point in time.

If we were to trade away the farm for him, what kind of ridiculous pressure would we put on this kid to be our savior? I don't think he'd be able to handle that kind of treatment.

Turn Off Ads?