Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Do It Wayne (Fish shopping Willis)

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Do It Wayne (Fish shopping Willis)

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    If you're basing your take on on his work to date then he's got a 3.45 ERA in 657.1 IP with a 6.67 K/9, 2.49 K/BB, 1.36 G/F, 0.64 HR/9 and .697 OPS against. His ERA+ is probably about 120 right now (it was 124 entering the season). The Reds haven't had anything like that for ages.

It doesn't matter how much smoke and mirrors you want to throw into the discussion, that's what he's done to date and it's a pretty healthy sample size.
    I'm not throwing smoke and mirrors into this discussion at all. I'm simply looking at his stats and making observation.

I don't think luck has anything to do with his struggles this year, I think it's largely due to the NL figuring him out, and that his K:BB is down from his career mark.

Compared to what we have on our staff, yes, he's better. I'm not disputing that. I'm disputing the fact that I don't think he's worth the perceived price we'd have to pay to obtain him. That's my whole premise.

He's a good pitcher, I'm not saying he's Dave Williams-esque, I'm just saying that for what we'd have to give up to get him, I'd rather stick with the status quo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

He had a bad month. His last 2 starts have been back to form. Also there have been a couple of starts where he was left in too long.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    This, by itself, speaks volumes of your knowledge. Tiant wins 229 games and he is no good!? He had a couple of good seasons!? He was a twenty game winner four times and one season had an ERA of 1.60 in 258 innings. Valenzuela wins 173 and he is no good!? He had a couple of good seasons!? He pitched 31 shutouts in his career. Couple of good season!? Discussion over. I don't have time for this kind of foolishness. I really don't think it is fair nor is it honest to dismiss a posters remarks with such inaccurate comments.
    Touche.

I guess your own advice does not apply to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    It isn't in fear of his money now, it would be in fear of his contrat in a couple years when he can be a free agent.
    Not sure I agree, as I posted earlier that Green is gone after 2007 and his $ can go to Willis. Plus they have a ton of youngsters in AAA that will save them $ when they get to the show.

Oh, and another $10 mil leaves the building after Luis Gonzalez is gone after this year. Money will be free flowing in Arizona.

I do agree that Willis is better than his stats show. He went through a few rough starts last July and still had a monster year. He's had 2 or 3 really awful showings this year that really skewed his stats. The guy is a great pitcher...anyone who says otherwise should take another look.

BTW, Unit is getting absolutely pounded in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    The thought of waiting for Homer Bailey to make his Reds debut in 2009, only to grab his elbow on the third pitch of the game, makes me sleepy.
    Posts about Homer Bailey debuting in 2009 and his elbow snapping or shoulder tearing makes me sleepy...
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?